Mac touch FTW!!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 165
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes they are two different markets but I look a tit this way the 10" would be for people that have deluded themselves into thinking that the 10 incher would be useful as a portable device.

Well 3.5" is useful. 10" would the "way more useful". And frankly I see it as a way to take a bite of this netbook market, and the best way for them to bring touch to the Mac.
  • Reply 62 of 165
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Here's a thought...

If you don't like the idea of a pure slate tablet from Apple, okay.

But do you all have to come into threads that are CLEARLY about pure slate tablets from Apple and spread your FUD about...?!?

We (the True Believers) can go on and on about how a pure slate tablet from Apple would enrich our lives, while the naysayers have little to offer other than I don't want one, therefore, no one else should seriously want one.

Hello? That record broke a long time ago, thanks...
  • Reply 63 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

We (the True Believers) can go on and on about how a pure slate tablet from Apple would enrich our lives

Cheers, man.
  • Reply 64 of 165
    I think having a large touch screen could yield exciting possibilities for audio applications, I'm thinking instrument control be it live or studio.
  • Reply 65 of 165
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

[sarcasm]

What is the point of this mouse/graphical user interface idea? Wouldn't everyone rather have a command line and a keyboard then clicking on assorted icons... I just don't understand this.

[/sarcasm]

::grins::

You laugh, but for 3/4s of my work that's true, sometimes a window manager is just there to organize 30 terminal windows a bit prettier than screen would :-p

(Of course I realize that's not true for 99.99% of the population, I just had to comment on it :-p)
  • Reply 66 of 165
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well 3.5" is useful. 10" would the "way more useful". And frankly I see it as a way to take a bite of this netbook market, and the best way for them to bring touch to the Mac.

One of the concepts that my whole argument is based on is that of bigger equaling better doesn't always apply to hand held devices. Especially if there is a large increase in weight. The ten inch device as laid out in this thread simply won't get the adoption that many here think it will get.

As for the net books and stuff; sorry guys but with out a real key board I don't see how a Touch only device would have a chance in hell. That keyboard is very important even more so on any device you expect to use in a more interactive way than an iPod. The other thing is how would you make use of such a device when you don't want to hand hold it.

The key here to understanding how or why this won't succeed is to look at what is already on the market and has had some success. Here I'm talking about slate type devices for commercial use by suveyors, utilities and the like. These are people that actually use tablets in the field today. You will not see tablets with this form factor at all. The reason is simple, larger form factors are not conducive to on the go hand held operation. Once something becomes so wide that it can't be gripped in one hand it becomes useless.

Of course none of this presupposes that apple won't try to market such a device just that one should not expect a raging success. Instead it will be like the AIR. That is the unit will sell fast to those with little sense and then die down to practically nothing when all of the faithful have Been exploited.

To be successful one needs to look at the current IPhone. Anything that Is much wider than the current iPhone is long, is just to big. The modeled device is simply to big to be considered a hand held device.

Dave
  • Reply 67 of 165
    albimalbim Posts: 68member
    ^what he said^

If it can't fit in your pocket or easily used in one hand, then it would be pointless to have a device without a keyboard and mouse. The touch screen would only be annoying and would decrease work production. It's either got to fit in a pocket or it's a laptop (or net book if you're getting nitpicky). Touch screens that can't fit in a pants pocket SEEMS like a cool idea and would look awesome, but the functionality of it is where the product is held up.

Quote:

That my friend, is the problem. When they release it you may then.

Wait...you don't know the usefulness either?

I can't see a tablet going beyond games for something useful. I games would be very fun, but I'd still prefer to have a keyboard underneath.
  • Reply 68 of 165
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Far better to have a netbook sized convertible tablet with both multitouch and stylus. Why stylus? So you can draw things instead of fingerpaint. Multitouch on a large 30"+ surface is different from a 10" surface which is different from a iPhone sized surface.

With a netbook sized convertible you get the best of all worlds. Compact size. Physical keyboard so you can TYPE stuff. Flip the screen over and use as a ebook, drawing surface or multitouch surface. Screen is protected when it's closed.

I wouldn't mind that. eMate 2.0, preferably with nice, grippy surfaces or even a flexible handle you can slip your fingers under so there's no fear of dropping it. Although for anything less than serious typing, an onscreen thumb keyboard might suffice. As 460FILMS noted, when you're standing up or walking, a keyboard isn't much use anyway, since you'd have to hunt and peck one-handed while holding it with the other. Just not something the size of the iPhone's virtual keyboard. With the additional real estate, they wouldn't have to be the standard linear key arrangement, either. I can imagine arc-shaped key rows that match the range of motion of the thumbs.

Quote:

I disagree. Add the chip (a nominal cost) and offer an optional At&t 12 month data contract. If you don't want to pay the subscription cost, don't. You're not forced to sign any contracts, and there's no carrier lock in on Mac touch, so other phone companies can offer competitive data packages for the device, which will allow Apple to sell the device at full cost, with the added benefit of data contract competition between the companies, which will result in cheaper data deals for the user, and stimulated sales for Apple as a result.

Won't work. You would need some kind of multi-standard chip, since AT&T's 3G network isn't compatible with anybody else's. So you'd need to support Verizon's EV-DO and Sprint's Xohm WiMax (which is actually 4G) if you want any kind of choice, and neither has nationwide coverage so far.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

So you want these tablets to be capable of hooking up to a printer? Sheeesh. I think you fall into a ultra-niche category that Apple will never satisfy.

Why not? There are no major stumbling blocks. This is supposed to be running full OS X, not some beefed up iPhone OS. That means it can print, just like any other Mac. And there are quite a few Bluetooth portable printers, not to mention WiFi printers. This is supposed to have both wireless interfaces.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALBIM View Post

Touch screens that can't fit in a pants pocket SEEMS like a cool idea and would look awesome, but the functionality of it is where the product is held up.

As someone who has owned both an iPhone and an iPod touch, I can tell you that the functionality of those is limited. It takes so much scrolling to get anything done, even just websurfing. It gets tiresome after only a couple of minutes. There's a reason the Kindle doesn't have a tiny scren.
  • Reply 69 of 165
    Quote:

One of the concepts that my whole argument is based on is that of bigger equaling better doesn't always apply to hand held devices.

Please stop calling this tablet a handheld. Please! It's not in my view. I like to call it a "table tablet", and as a bonus it's the perfect "couch computer". Think Classroom Desks, DJ tables, Boardrooms, Coffee Tables, Generic Desks/Tables, Trays, Bars, Beds and Couches.

It's about "taking some work with you", and it would fit in with this modern world like fingers into a glove. It could serve "a million niches". The applications are endless. Think GIANT desktop, with a GIANT screen and boat loads of horse power at home, and all house members get a Mac touch to take with them when they are on the move. When home you sync with said desktop and it syncs your settings and changes and backs up all you data. Safe, secure, mobile, sleek, simple setup.
  • Reply 70 of 165
    Quote:

Please stop calling this tablet a handheld. Please! It's not in my view. I like to call it a "table tablet", and as a bonus it's the perfect "couch computer". Think Classroom Desks, DJ tables, Boardrooms, Coffee Tables, Generic Desks/Tables, Trays, Bars, Beds and Couches.

It's about "taking some work with you", and it would fit in with this modern world like fingers into a glove. It could serve "a million niches". The applications are endless. Think GIANT desktop, with a GIANT screen and boat loads of horse power at home, and all house members get a Mac touch to take with them when they are on the move. When home you sync with said desktop and it syncs your settings and changes and backs up all you data. Safe, secure, mobile, sleek, simple setup.

To reinforce what Ireland said:

PLEASE STOP CALLING THIS TABLET A HANDHELD!!!

I see a slate tablet from Apple much as Ireland outlines above, with a few tweaks...

The GIANT screen will be the 40"+ HDTV monitor hanging on the wall in the living room, and the GIANT desktop would actually be a home server/media center. Smaller monitors (think along the lines of the 24" LED Cinema Display) could have the tablet attached (to handle the windowing and 'job requests') and serve as a 'smart terminal' feeding off of the home server. I would envision modularity in this home server, so one could add processing power as needed. The Unix underpinnings would help with the whole multiple users logged in and working at the same time (like multiple users working at the same time on an Onyx 'fridge'). MobileMe has a role here also...
  • Reply 71 of 165
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

I can take some documents and read them on the way to/from the office, if I'm using public transport. I can watch a movie on a plane. I can read a Word or OpenOffice document, but not really edit it. I can read my mail, and make short answers (like "OK") provided I'm in a place with wi-fi coverage...

That's nice but not worth the hassle. If I'm already carrying something like that, and putting it on a desk, I might as well carry a laptop.
  • Reply 72 of 165
    Quote:

Yeah, that's why I want.

I want Apple to get into the tyre making business, and then expand over to seed and grain commodities

yeah, but bottled water FIRST11!!!1!!

don't forget
  • Reply 73 of 165
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:

Too BIG. Better something as small or smaller (pocketable; 5-inch screen or so) and light (or lighter; 450 g or less) than the OQO:

http://www.oqo.com

With VGA out port and Firewire port. FULL MAC OS X INSIDE! The ultimate full-blown Apple Keynote and PowerPoint presentation tool. Touch scren like the iPhone and iPod touch. Create your presentation on your computer and use the Mac tablet to save it, carry it and make the presentation! Thousands needed for our University!
  • Reply 74 of 165
    Quote:

Here's a thought...

If you don't like the idea of a pure slate tablet from Apple, okay.

But do you all have to come into threads that are CLEARLY about pure slate tablets from Apple and spread your FUD about...?!?

We (the True Believers) can go on and on about how a pure slate tablet from Apple would enrich our lives, while the naysayers have little to offer other than I don't want one, therefore, no one else should seriously want one.

Hello? That record broke a long time ago, thanks...

Isn't it equally true then the other way around, I want I want, therefore Apple must provide.

I believe that Apple should enter the bottled water business, I have posted before how this could work, its a big market and with Apple branding they could capture a large portion of this lucrative area. SO should we have constant threads started by the same nitwits going over the Same thing about how Apple SHOULD enter this market, after all I BELIEVE.

bottled water FTW!!
  • Reply 75 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Isn't it equally true then the other way around, I want I want, therefore Apple must provide.

I believe that Apple should enter the bottled water business, I have posted before how this could work, its a big market and with Apple branding they could capture a large portion of this lucrative area. SO should we have constant threads started by the same nitwits going over the Same thing about how Apple SHOULD enter this market, after all I BELIEVE.

bottled water FTW!!

Walter, do you ever think Apple will bring multi touch to the Mac?

I remember about 6 months before Macworld 2007 I was on here saying how obvious it was that Apple will enter the phone market, only to get the majority of people post doubtful, sometimes sarcastic, responses like yours. I was totally convinced because it was obvious. While it's not totally obvious what this Apple tablet will look like, exactly, it is obvious they are working on it, and will release it, over the next 14 months or so - well at least it is to me anyway.

P.S. You're an idiot. And I mean that in the nicest way possible
  • Reply 76 of 165
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

It could use some tweaking but I like it.
  • Reply 77 of 165
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Please stop calling this tablet a handheld. Please! It's not in my view. I like to call it a "table tablet", and as a bonus it's the perfect "couch computer".

Wouldn't you be holding it in your hand while using it at the couch?

Quote:

Think Classroom Desks, DJ tables, Boardrooms, Coffee Tables, Generic Desks/Tables, Trays, Bars, Beds and Couches.

Ok explain how a tablet could be of any use at all in a classroom. Especially for taking notes or other data input uses.

As to the desks, tables and other places to lay it about how does one make use of the thing while it is laying about on these sorts of desks. What are you going to do pick it up to use, if so doesn't it become a handheld computer? The idea might have some merit if it the device ended up extremely light and thin but I don't have a lot of hope for that.

Quote:

It's about "taking some work with you", and it would fit in with this modern world like fingers into a glove.

At least with a clam shell with a real keyboard my fingers can do a bit of typing on a keyboard. That would be very useful if I'm taking work with me.

Quote:

It could serve "a million niches". The applications are endless. Think GIANT desktop, with a GIANT screen and boat loads of horse power at home, and all house members get a Mac touch to take with them when they are on the move.

Well this is funny but I don't think you are going to get all family members to carry something like that around. Frankly the iPhone draws complaints for its size right now.

Quote:

When home you sync with said desktop and it syncs your settings and changes and backs up all you data. Safe, secure, mobile, sleek, simple setup.

Yeah and the iPhone doesn't do that? Further right now I don't even need to go home to have my important stuff updated.

The problem with your position is that the very things you describe as potential uses require the unit to be handheld. Frankly I'd love to see Apple have a whole line of hand held tablets, I just don't think what you describe has the potential to sell like iPods or Laptops. The applications where a tablet of that size would actually be an improvement over the current state of the art is extremely limited. Thus I don't see a huge opportunity here like there is with other sized tablets. Lets face it the iPhones screen is a little on the small size for some uses, I think everybody agrees with that. The problem is how far can we grow the concept in size before people reject it based on usability. The problem is as size increases in a device people end up with different expectations.

Well Apple can try to manage those expectations and maybe could come up with something completely different in the way of an interface. One thing that is painfully obvious is that on board keyboards won't meet that expectation. If they have something in the labs that really addresses this issue then all bets are off. The other approach Apple could take is the consumer electronics device, like IPod, such that the device primary focus would be a large media delivery device. No Mac OS in a device like that though.

Dave
  • Reply 78 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

It could use some tweaking but I like it.

You're welcome to improve it, if you do a nice job I'll credit you ask making the mockup with me on MactouchFTW(dot)com

I'm going to throw up that site next month. It'll be just a landing page with the mockup front a center, some specs, dimension and arguments for why this would be the perfect product for Apple to produce.
  • Reply 79 of 165
    Quote:

As to the desks, tables and other places to lay it about how does one make use of the thing while it is laying about on these sorts of desks. What are you going to do, pick it up to use, if so doesn't it become a handheld computer? The idea might have some merit if it the device ended up extremely light and thin but I don't have a lot of hope for that.

No, no, no, no.

Like I have been saying; the whole trick with this device is the rear pop-out rest. You press it in and it pops out. It's spring loaded, and when you press it back in it sits flush on the back surface making it almost invisible, aside from the dip for your finder to press it in, and the fine slit going round it's edges. 1/4" thick, 1.5" strip of aluminum going across most of the width of Mac touch, about 1" down from the very top on the rear of the product.

When lying in a bed or on the couch you'll likely use your knees, so Mac touch will rest there when being used with its rear rest closed. And for more serious use you'll find any flat desk or surface, pop out the rest and place the Mac touch on the desk where it'll sit at between a 17 and 22 degree angle. Somewhere in there is the sweet spot where you can type, use and interact with Mac touch while also looking at the screen and consuming content. Perfect for the boardroom, education, the couch and all sort of entertainment niches.
  • Reply 80 of 165
    Quote:

?slit?

[beavis & butthead]

Huh huh, huh huh, huh?

He said slit?

Huh huh, huh huh, huh?

[/beavis & butthead]