Microsoft's Windows 7 to bring Apple-tinged design changes

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    Is it just me or doesn't that Dreamlinux look nearly identical to OS X?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

And if you want to get even more dumbfounded by their lack of initiative and effort, look at some of the Linux releases, which are done on a budget that probably rivals Microsoft HQ's janitorial budget. (I just clicked on that Dreamlinux link up above and it looks nearly as good, if not better, than Windows 7 already.)

• Reply 62 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

'scuse me, and hey mister or madame forum moderators -- I'm an alts art writer and I do use the "f word" -- sometimes quite freely, knowing my audience is going to be people attracted to alts arts and will be over 17, so I'm no blue nose and there's many places where it fits and works, but this is a general public tech info site and probably attracts many computing kids as young as 12 or even 10.

so I just find the usage here jarring and inappropriate. one can -- intelligently, stupidly, seriously, humorously, creatively, clichedly, cooly and/or emotionally -- compare OS's without it.

This is the AppleInsider tech forum, not the AppleInsider Lounge during happy hour....

My two cents.

I agree....one can use many other choice words for colorful descriptions other than offensive ones.
  • Reply 63 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

P. S.: Using the word "fanboy" just makes you look like an idiot.

That admonition's never stopped the many idiots before!
  • Reply 64 of 122
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Can't wait for the changes!!

• Reply 65 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Let's look at dollar figures:
    • Apple spent $844 million on R&D in the calendar year 2007

• Microsoft spent $7.5 billion in research and development in fiscal 2007

In my neighborhood, the guy over there who makes $7.5 billion drives a much better car than I do, has a bigger, nicer house than I have, and his trophy wife, although not smart, is much better looking than my wife, which only makes sense since I only make $844 million.

Now, why doesn't that same logic apply to Apple and Microsoft? Microsoft should have Minority Report-style interfaces in beta, not inferior OS X Leopard copies, what with all the resources they have at their disposal. If money doesn't buy you the resources you need to blow away the competition, than I don't know what does.

And if you want to get even more dumbfounded by their lack of initiative and effort, look at some of the Linux releases, which are done on a budget that probably rivals Microsoft HQ's janitorial budget. (I just clicked on that Dreamlinux link up above and it looks nearly as good, if not better, than Windows 7 already.)

So true. It sort of begs the question - what exactly do they spend that $7.5 billion on, if Vista and Windows 7 are the result? Surely pieces of junk like that don't cost more!

I also find it rather funny that they had to downgrade to XP in order not to lose the Netbook market to Linux! Ha! How about you cut the bloatware and make an operating system you don't need a ridiculously overpowered machine in order to run MS Paint!
  • Reply 66 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

One thing I'd wish Apple could do...would be to time their releases AFTER Microsoft's. That way MS can't start their photocopiers.

But of course they photocopy the OS X release from 5 years previous...due to all the testing. You honestly don't think they can turn out an operating system in a matter of months, do you? Look at Vista!!

Anyways, it's great that OS X is released BEFORE Windows because then there is more of a difference between the 2 operating systems for Apple to tout in ads! For a while there is a 10 year difference between the two, versus 8 or so when the new Windoze comes out.
  • Reply 67 of 122
    This seems oddly similar to the Original Coke (XP) and New Coke (Vista) debate. Although New Coke tasted better in blind taste tests, people were sentimental about Original Coke.

While I admit it is a stretch comparing Coke to an OS, there does seem to be a connection here. Perhaps WM 7 will be Diet Coke with less bloat!!

Edit:

This morning during a meeting with a friend who is looking at switching from his PC to a MacBook - he was somewhat surprised when I recommend he go for the MBP as I believe video will play a bigger role in the future. When mentioning the upcoming release of Snow Leopard, he (a technical guy) said, didn't they just release a new OS??? He was a bit more than surprised by this. He is not a Vista fan either.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    I'll start by saying that Mac OS X Leopard has several shortcomings, especially in the Finder. But unlike Vista, Mac OS leaves you alone. Here is what bothers me about Vista:

- The UI looks like it was designed by amateurs, employing every Photoshop filter.

- The constant reminders of new hardware that is already installed.

- The constant clicking sounds when using IE.

- The constant security messages and auto blocking of everyday websites.

- The constant harassment by NAV to update this, check that, and are you sure you want to do this.

- The constant reminders by NAV to renew your membership and pay. Two options, update now, or remind me later. Oh... not an easy app to uninstall or deactivate.

- The constant warnings when downloading, launching arrrrgh!

- Once Spyware sneaks into your computer, you get bombarded with warnings from all those AntiVirus scammers trying to convince you that buying their software is going to delete over 100 viruses from your computer.

Yeah Vista wants to blame any security flaw onto the user. I can't stand that, I just want to get my work done.

In contrast to all that, Mac OS X doesn't nag you to oblivion and yet it feels so secure, it is like taking a trip to the Bahamas.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    Quote:

Now, why doesn't that same logic apply to Apple and Microsoft?)

Microsoft has to account for all the hardware configs that someone might have. Apple, being monoculture, has only a very narrow set of hardware configs. Also Microsoft goes out and buys/develops technology it never really puts to use. Things like text to speech, embedded fonts in IE, and other kinds of crazy crap that never sees the light of day. But they had a team working on it. But I guess that's what happens when they had so many "salad days". You can end up spending money on what eventually ends up being nothing. This is why I think Seinfeld was perfect for MS is that Windows, after all, is an OS about nothing.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    There is absolutely no way that this thing will hit the streets with all of its planned features before 2011. By then we'll already have a preview of 10.7. Guaranteed. iCal me.

--mAc
  • Reply 71 of 122
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

One thing I'd wish Apple could do...would be to time their releases AFTER Microsoft's. That way MS can't start their photocopiers.

Don't count on MS releasing Windows 7 any time in 2010. By the time MS releases Windows 7 Apple might be getting ready to release Mac OS 10.7
  • Reply 72 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I'll start by saying that Mac OS X Leopard has several shortcomings, especially in the Finder. But unlike Vista, Mac OS leaves you alone. ...

I'm glad someone finally mentioned this.

I used Windows from 3.1 all the way through to XP and it was the constant NAGGING that made me finally stop using it at all (well that and the sheer ugliness of it). They could fix all the security holes, fix all the drivers and make it run like a rocket on cheap-ass hardware and I still couldn't force myself to use it after using a Mac.

The way I see it if you use anything other than OS-X, you spend way to much of your time just managing your computer. With Linux and the various Unixes, it's like being left alone in a quiet room with a giant puzzle that's perhaps just a little beyond your capabilities.

With Windows though, it's like you have a marketing team, a coach, and your mother in there with you all pointing at the screen and offering advice and all talking at the same time. The puzzle is also missing just enough pieces to make it impossible to actually solve.
  • Reply 73 of 122
    Vealy entertaining.
  • Reply 74 of 122
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    I've just skimmed through the article but one of the things that caught my attention (in a positive way) are the border sensitive windows. I think that it is a splendid idea and this is one of the small details which would improve my personal work flow in a noticeable way. Hardware requirements are said to be more or less the same as Vista (memory usage is likely to be improved) so by the time Windows 7 hits the market most computers should run it without a problem.
  • Reply 75 of 122
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Looks like the kind of incremental improvements Apple make with each release. I guess last time MS tried a big reinvention it didn't work out too well for them.
  • Reply 76 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

I can't believe it! Steve Jobs, was right. Microsoft does have their copy machines fired up. It still must be in the beta stage, it doesn't completely look like OSX yet. I'm sure a few years from now they'll be claiming they invented the dock.

i actually find the windows jump list better.. i also have found the xp taskbar to be superior compared to the dock which in my opinion is one of the weakest features in OSx.. and a symbol of the stubbornness Apple sometimes displays when they are confronted with the obvious..
  • Reply 77 of 122
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Um... Is it just me... or,

1. How are those quite different from Vista, at a quick glance?

2. When will Microsoft "get it" about what Apple does, if ever, whenever they copy Apple?

Feeling lost here. I just want a unibody MacBook Pro so besides Mac stuff I can put Vista on it, run DirectX10 games for smooth mobile pwnage.

Update:

Okay, on further inspection, I start to see the "Appleness" of Windows 7 creeping (pun intended) in.
  • Reply 78 of 122
    radorado Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

As I sit here and type this, in Leopard, I can tell you Vista x64 on this machine is more stable and less quirky.

And let's not forget who first lost the notebook challenge earlier this year. Yeah, that would be OSX.

Vista x64 is far more advanced OS than Leopard. Launched in late 2006, it offered (first) true 64bit desktop platform for masses (64bit memory access, 64bit device drivers, etc.), while Leopard is 32bit mess with PAE.

Professional apps, alike Adobe CS4, run (much) better and faster on Vista x64, every test shows that. OS X Leopard is a toy, not a professional OS.

Apple is trying to catch Microsoft with "Snow Leopard", finally offering 64bit memory access and 64bit device drivers, ie. something Microsoft had on desktop since Windows XP x64 (launched 4/2005).

Apple is 3-5 years behind Microsoft.

They focus on trendy items, like MP3 players, music and video distribution, but obsolete OS X is less and less welcomed as a choice for professionals. Apple R&D focuses on stupid little things like stars in Time Machine (btw, Vista had that before as well, called Shadow Files / Folders and Complete PC Backup app, Apple copied that and added stars, great innovation!), which are easy to market to IT uneducated masses.

Microsoft focuses not only on looks (Aero is beautiful), but also on "invisible" things - kernel, memory management, stability.

Btw, this is humiliating, Flash on OS X being 2-4x slower than on Vista (tested on Mac Pro):

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...player-10.html

Most IT pros I know migrated their OS X machines to Vista x64. Couldnt be happier
  • Reply 79 of 122
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgntscrawn View Post

So true. It sort of begs the question - what exactly do they spend that $7.5 billion on, if Vista and Windows 7 are the result? Surely pieces of junk like that don't cost more!

Difficult to say, but alot of the R&D is for stuff that won't see the light of day for several years (if ever).

For example, they have been working on Singularity for a few years now, which is an experimental operating system built around completely isolated processes. Then there is Photosynth (I reckon that wasn't cheap!) and quite a few other bits and pieces that you occasionally come across. The point isn't to come up with a new product, it is to learn new things and find out why other things didn't work.

Now, alot of the stuff will never make it into production, but that's the danger of R&D. In a lot of cases however, stuff they learn can be used in other places. I imagine there are a lot of ideas in Singularity that have been used in the Windows Azure platform, in order to keep cloud-based apps isolated.

So the money they spend on R&D will not really be seen in an end product. Most folk outside of Microsoft won't even recognise it.
  • Reply 80 of 122
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rADo View Post

Most IT pros I know migrated their OS X machines to Vista x64. Couldnt be happier

How very odd...I'm a windows developer and I see many more MBP than before among the dev crowd. Yea and verily we VMware into our dev VMs but enjoy the benefits of a great UI on top of a stable Unix platform.

The biggest weakpoint for OSX from a dev perspective is the state of Java.