Apple's Snow Leopard to offer text auto-correction

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Modern text-handling technologies made popular on Apple's iPhone should turn up on the Mac next year as part of the company's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard release.

Purported screenshots making the rounds from build 10A190 of the OS overhaul show that a new version of Apple's TextEdit application will offer preferences for at least three new text handling operations.

The first, which is already a staple of the company's iPhone interface, offers to correct spelling automatically as a user types. Another offers to automatically insert 'smart dashes' while a user types, while a third feature is simply titled 'Text replacement.'

The features could presumably be extended to all applications that will run on Snow Leopard.

Separately, the screenshots reveal that several Apple-authored applications will see major version number upgrades as a result of Cocoa enhancements and previously announced Exchange support. These include Mail 4.0, AddressBook 5.0, Migration Assistant 2.0, iChat 5.0, and Image Capture 6.0.

The latter is said to have seen a complete interface overhaul with several new features. More subtle application revisions will reportedly include Spaces 1.1, Time Machine 1.1, and iSync 3.1.

Screenshots show that Snow Leopard's Cocoa Finder, listed as version 10.6 (with DS version 1.5), includes options to run individual applications in 32 Bit mode. The Apple logo and menubar reportedly turn a lighter color when applications are run in 64 bit mode.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    It'd be nice to actually see the screenshots.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Well, as long as they give us the option to turn the auto-correction off. Believe it or not, but sometimes people really do prefer to type in double negatives and/or slang, as well as alternate spellings that aren't found in the dictionary. Example: mabe, ain't, cuz, etc. And don't forget abbreviations, lol, imao, ttyl, brb, u2, pos,
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Well, as long as they give us the option to turn the auto-correction off. Believe it or not, but sometimes people really do prefer to type in double negatives and/or slang, as well as alternate spellings that aren't found in the dictionary. Example: mabe, ain't, cuz, etc.

i also hope they offer a proper english(british)
  • Reply 4 of 53
    and hopfully this time Apple will allow the user to turn this option off, unlike in the iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

... sometimes people really do prefer to type in double negatives and/or slang, as well as alternate spellings ...

You're misunderstanding this a bit. It's not like Microsoft's autocorrect or Word's grammar mangling, it's just about spelling and word substitution.

You can add all those mis-spellings you quoted into the dictionary the first time you use them and never have to turn it off or worry about it again.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It'd be nice to actually see the screenshots.

Second that.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I wonder if "text replacement" means you can create a user-defined list of shorthand: like typing 'mas' and hitting the space bar could enter 'Massachusetts.' You could use that to quickly type long names or technical terms in your field... or to convert habitual txt-speak into real English
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Yeah it needs to be customisable. If it is in preparation for touch control like the iPhone's auto-correct, it could be quite a pain.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    I hate that "feature." I am constantly correcting the auto-correction, taking a ridiculous amount of time to type a simple street address or name in my notes.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I wonder if "text replacement" means you can create a user-defined list of shorthand: like typing 'mas' and hitting the space bar could enter 'Massachusetts.' You could use that to quickly type long names or technical terms in your field... or to convert habitual txt-speak into real English

That would be what I would like. Let's hope there's a spanish dictionary too.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _ alliance _ View Post

I hate that "feature." I am constantly correcting the auto-correction, taking a ridiculous amount of time to type a simple street address or name in my notes.

You probably already know, but you can tap the auto-correction bubble to cancel it, saving you from having to edit it to be what you want.

I find I almost NEVER cancel the auto-correction. It's right 99.9% of the time, and a huge time-saver. But I can imagine that during the entry of lots of proper nouns you'd want to turn off the auto-correction entirely.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    All the hand wringing about Snow being "just an under the hood bug fix" without any new features seems ridiculous now. We are probably a year away from this update's release and it already appears to offer more than first thought. It may not offer 300 new features like Leopard but refinement of the GUI, speed, and probably a merging of iPHone technologies will make this a very exciting version of Mac
  • Reply 13 of 53
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    These new features are either a nuisance (autocorrect) or trivial (m-dashes). The text editing features that Snow Leopard actually needs include these:

* Styled text much like you will find any good word processor. Styled text lets you create and name paragraph and text styles that can be applied to text. Change the style definition and all the text assigned that style changes. And exported text should include the style tags. The lack of true text styles is why TextEdit looks and functions like a clone of WordStar from the early 1980s complete with a ruler bar.

* Tabbed text to tables. Another feature any word processor worth its salt has, but that's lacking in OS X. The only tables OS X will let you create are empty ones into which you can manually insert text. You can't take a block of tabbed text from some source and convert it into a table.

*Text to speech starting anywhere. Text=to-speech is a good proofing tool. But OS X only lets you read from the start of a document or an entire blocked text. That makes it a pain to use. Text to speech should be able to start where the cursor is and read until the user says stop, for example to correct an error. And that's great for people with vision problems too.

Add these features and they'd soon be appearing in dozens of text applications, giving people a good reason to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Leave them out and for many Snow Leopard will be a yawner. Text applications in OS X will continue to be over 20 years out of date.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    ....I want turn OFF. So ironic....

I also turn this off in Word etc where it's been available for years and years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Modern text-handling technologies made popular on Apple's iPhone should turn up on the Mac next year as part of the company's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard release.

Purported screenshots making the rounds from build 10A190 of the OS overhaul show that a new version of Apple's TextEdit application will offer preferences for at least three new text handling operations.

The first, which is already a staple of the company's iPhone interface, offers to correct spelling automatically as a user types. Another offers to automatically insert 'smart dashes' while a user types, while a third feature is simply titled 'Text replacement.'

The features could presumably be extended to all applications that will run on Snow Leopard.

Separately, the screenshots reveal that several Apple-authored applications will see major version number upgrades as a result of Cocoa enhancements and previously announced Exchange support. These include Mail 4.0, AddressBook 5.0, Migration Assistant 2.0, iChat 5.0, and Image Capture 6.0.

The latter is said to have seen a complete interface overhaul with several new features. More subtle application revisions will reportedly include Spaces 1.1, Time Machine 1.1, and iSync 3.1.

Screenshots show that Snow Leopard's Cocoa Finder, listed as version 10.6 (with DS version 1.5), includes options to run individual applications in 32 Bit mode. The Apple logo and menubar reportedly turn a lighter color when applications are run in 64 bit mode.

• Reply 15 of 53
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    I just hope it offers proper English (American) ;-)

Seriously Brits,

Why the hell did you guys stick with this crazy F'd up spelling structure. I mean common, if it weren't possible to spell things like the "f" sound with "augh" and "ph" and equally ridiculous things and have it still be "proper" English we probably wouldn't need auto-correct spelling features ;-)
  • Reply 16 of 53
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    You know what this could mean? All-touch virtual keyboard like the old Fingerworks keyboards! They had auto-correction to counter the lack of physical buttons. Since Apple bought them, I was hoping they would bring those to the mainstream. The gestures are already there.
  • Reply 17 of 53
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Apple logo and menubar reportedly turn a lighter color when applications are run in 64 bit mode.

Is that really necessary? Hopefully it doesn't create a fuss like Leopard's transparent menu bar all over again.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

I just hope it offers proper English (American) ;-)

Seriously Brits,

Why the hell did you guys stick with this crazy F'd up spelling structure. I mean common, if it weren't possible to spell things like the "f" sound with "augh" and "ph" and equally ridiculous things and have it still be "proper" English we probably wouldn't need auto-correct spelling features ;-)

I actually think the American way of spelling is quite flawed. They took perfectly good words, like centre, or cheque, and gave them totally bizarre spellings, center, and check, when their was nothing at all wrong with the original way of spelling them. And if every word looked just how it sounded, we would have a very confused language indeed. Imagine if one was spelled won, or if two was spelled too.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    okay, you want a screen shot, you got one

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/...f48f8116_o.png