MacBook Airs ship; Psystar plans Mac notebook, Blu-ray desktop

Comments

• Reply 41 of 144
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

It isn't the hardware that's stolen, it's the software.

Buy a clue, they aren't that hard to get.

The Mac OS X installation DVD is purchased from Apple, similar to how most people ordered Mac OS X Leopard installation DVDs to upgrade from 10.4 Tiger.

Can you explain how it is possible to steal something that you bought, legally, from Apple?

Please, feel free to use RDF if necessary to explain your position.
  • Reply 42 of 144
    ssassa Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

That's a bit much, when installing a Blu-ray drive (that still won't play HDCP Blu-ray movies) is about the extent of Psystar's abilities.

Provided that the hardware they use supports HDCP they could in theory play Blu-ray, but there is no playback software for MacOS as of yet.

Honestly, I am surprised Apple hasn't released Blu-ray as a CTO option yet on any of their Macs. With or without blu-ray playback, putting an CTO option on the Mac Pro wouldn't be such a bad idea. People doing video editing could burn their project onto a Blu-ray disc and give a client a preview on a BD-R disc that they could playback through a bluray player.

On the current generation of MBs there is no reason that they couldn't offer a BD-ROM CTO option. Before anyone claims that there are no Bluray drives that can fit in the MB or MBP I would just like to point out that Panasonic released a slimline drive that can fit into the MBs earlier this year. Nvidia lists HDCP support in both the 9400M and the 9600M so unless Apple paid Nvidia to break HDCP support, which seems unlikely then the only thing stopping Apple from selling CTO Bluray capable laptops is adding Bluray playback support to iDVD. If licensing is so expensive how are BD-ROM drives being sold presumably for a profit for ~$200 with legally licensed playback software. Steve Jobs is just blowing smoke about the licensing cost. Offer a CTO option for ~$300 for a BD-ROM on the MBP and the MB and Apple undercuts a niche for Psystar. Apple would easily pocket $100 per drive that they were selling. Even for Apple a ~33% margin on a product would be considered fairly good.

Considering that Psystar probably isn't making a huge amount of money, Apple would probably pay more money in legal fees then they could ever hope to recoup in a legal settlement. Unless can show me evidence that they are making a lot of money burying Psystar in a lawsuit would probably be purely for the principal of somebody violating Apple's IP not because their were doing it for the money.

If I were Apple I would try to bury Psystar by denying them any significant edge in their products feature wise. You obviously waste as much of their money as possible by releasing updates that don't work with their hacked version of OSX, but I don't see that as the only strategy to hurt them and ultimately drive them out of business.

A significantly revamped Mac Mini for example would temper interest in the Open Computer. The people who truly like tinkering will build their own hackintosh instead of paying someone else to build it for them. Relative to the cost of the parts, the Open Computer seems overpriced for what you are getting so I don't really see the market for the Open Computer being the gearhead crowd. Simply adding a dedicated mobile chipset would give the Mac Mini a huge bump in the graphics performance undercutting a lot of the criticism that the Mac Mini is too underpowered. The original PPC Mac Mini had dedicated graphics @ $500. It wasn't mind boggling performance at that price point, but it was far superior to the integrated solutions of the time. If Apple sold a dramatically revamped Mac Mini with improved graphics chipset, a bit more RAM, slightly more powerful CPU, and a bigger HDD starting at $550 I think interest in the Open Computer would be minimized.
  • Reply 43 of 144
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The Mac OS X installation DVD is purchased from Apple, similar to how most people ordered Mac OS X Leopard installation DVDs to upgrade from 10.4 Tiger.

Can you explain how it is possible to steal something that you bought, legally, from Apple?

Why don't you and Psystar go and develop your own OS and sell it with your hardware, why do you have to use what belongs to Apple and try to profit from it, if you are so desperate to have Apple's software on different hardware, go and build you own computer and install Mac OSX, Apple doesn't seem to mind people who do that, they only mind when you try and profit from doing so like Psystar is doing. If what they were doing is right why haven't the likes of Dell, HP and also done the same. Psystar will go down and anybody clueless enoguh to go and buy their computers will be left with a brick soon.
  • Reply 44 of 144
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

My latest best selling blockbuster book, entitled "Please don't steal this book" is available from all good bookshops. Priced at $19.99 for the hardback edition. g3pro buys my book... chops of the cover ... makes it into a paperback and sells it (on his own web site!) for $5.99

His older brother g4pro takes the story and makes a movie. Advertised as "Based on the best selling book..." the film is a moderate success.

Can g3pro explain to me how it is possible that he DID NOT STEAL MY BOOK?

Quote:

Thanks but none needed!
  • Reply 45 of 144
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

My latest best selling blockbuster book, entitled "Please don't steal this book" is available from all good bookshops. Priced at $19.99 for the hardback edition. g3pro buys my book... chops of the cover ... makes it into a paperback and sells it (on his own web site!) for $5.99

His older brother g4pro takes the story and makes a movie. Advertised as "Based on the best selling book..." the film is a moderate success.

Thanks but none needed!

Ownage.
  • Reply 46 of 144
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Hahah we all wish we had the time + energy the Psystar guy does. He is sticking to his guns. He may be wrong, may be right. One this is for sure, Apple will make him filthy, FILTHY RICH to just go away. He is already pretty happy IMO
  • Reply 47 of 144
    Quote:

Nope, haven't bought one.

Can you explain how, in reality, purchasing your own hardware legally is considered stealing? And, can you describe, in the RDF, what it looks like to steal hardware that you purchased legally?

They are using Apple Brand to sell to the open public a mediocre product.

To create a successful Brand like Apple: The management (Job's & his team) have undergone extensive research & development, they have acquired other companies and their technologies and BTW PAYED for the rights of them, they have thousand of employees that has made a great deal cause of work as a team and also as individuals that have had leveled the organization in so many areas.

So you took all that work and simply rip it off to your own benefit and use their brand and in this case their software to make profit without ever spending a dime. That is STEAL.

Lets see it in this other way, lets suppose you have a company in your country and it is very successful. Then a guy like me that doesn't know you personally or ever had any contact with you or your business find that I can use your company image and products and offer them here in my country thousands of miles away. I will use your copyrighted images, the names of your products in my own offerings. I will say my products are better and cheaper than yours and will make a couple of millions at your expense.

Now tell me, If that is ok with you?

Apple have created their own hardware for their software. They never wanted or sold their software (OS X) to any individual or company.

Dunno what else you need to realize that Psystar is wrong doing totally.
  • Reply 48 of 144
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSA View Post

Provided that the hardware they [Psystar] use supports HDCP they could in theory play Blu-ray

And monkeys might fly out of my...

Quote:

Considering that Psystar probably isn't making a huge amount of money, Apple would probably pay more money in legal fees then they could ever hope to recoup in a legal settlement. Unless can show me evidence that they are making a lot of money burying Psystar in a lawsuit would probably be purely for the principal of somebody violating Apple's IP not because their were doing it for the money.

No matter the cost right now, if Apple doesn't act aggressively to protect its IP, others will follow in Psystar's footsteps and make it even more costly for Apple in the long run.

Quote:

If I were Apple I would try to bury Psystar by denying them any significant edge in their products feature wise.

All Apple has to do is shut down Psystar's "Mac" business through the legal system, while continuing to deliver good quality, good performance (even exceptional performance in the Mac Pro), and good support, all on a massive scale.

Most Mac and PC customers aren't going to understand why a BR drive doesn't play BR movies. Psystar is going to have a few disenchanted customers with their most recent move. BR movies compete with iTMS and AppleTV, which is one reason Apple doesn't offer Blu-ray as an option. If Apple can postpone Blu-ray long enough, the Internet will kill Blu-ray. Every day that goes by brings us closer to the day when Blu-ray is irrelevant.

Quote:

A significantly revamped Mac Mini for example would temper interest in the Open Computer.

"Significantly" is the watch word. The current Mac mini is still quite good. It takes a while for hardware components to progress to where a Mac mini can be significantly updated while maintaining a decent profit margin.
  • Reply 49 of 144
    Is it illegal to install OS X, on a computer one builds himself? Or is that still against Apple's copyrights? Just wondering.
  • Reply 50 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Hahah we all wish we had the time + energy the Psystar guy does. He is sticking to his guns. He may be wrong, may be right. One this is for sure, Apple will make him filthy, FILTHY RICH to just go away. He is already pretty happy IMO

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

When a copyrightable work is registered with the Library of Congress, its owner can request and be awarded "treble" damages (3X the actual damages) by the court from an infringer. Apple also has trademark issues to reconcile with Psystar. Psystar might just be negotiating itself into bankruptcy here, with the only question being how badly.
  • Reply 51 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post

Is it illegal to install OS X, on a computer one builds himself? Or is that still against Apple's copyrights? Just wondering.

It is legal if Apple (the owner of the copyright to Mac OS X) has given you permission to install the software on your own computer. Chances are, Apple hasn't given this to you. The EULA (end user license agreement) bundled with retail copies of Mac OS X does not provide such permission either. If you've not received permission from Apple through other means, then you don't have permission.

Standard disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
  • Reply 52 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Why don't you and Psystar go and develop your own OS and sell it with your hardware, why do you have to use what belongs to Apple and try to profit from it, if you are so desperate to have Apple's software on different hardware, go and build you own computer and install Mac OSX, Apple doesn't seem to mind people who do that, they only mind when you try and profit from doing so like Psystar is doing. If what they were doing is right why haven't the likes of Dell, HP and also done the same. Psystar will go down and anybody clueless enoguh to go and buy their computers will be left with a brick soon.

Something that you buy, for money, from Apple belongs to you. If someone buys a Mac OS X installation DVD from Apple for $129, Apple can't go to that person's house and take back the installation DVD.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

If I buy the book for $19.99, I am allowed tear the book page by page and scan it in and read it on my computer. I am allowed to dictate the book to myself so I can listen to it later. I am allowed to copy the book so I can read it in plain text on my computer.

Psystar is not chopping up copies of OS X and copying it and distributing it. You buy a copy of OS X FROM APPLE that Psystar installs for you. Apple gets paid for OS X.

Your point is invalid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

They are using Apple Brand to sell to the open public a mediocre product.

To create a successful Brand like Apple: The management (Job's & his team) have undergone extensive research & development, they have acquired other companies and their technologies and BTW PAYED for the rights of them, they have thousand of employees that has made a great deal cause of work as a team and also as individuals that have had leveled the organization in so many areas.

So you took all that work and simply rip it off to your own benefit and use their brand and in this case their software to make profit without ever spending a dime. That is STEAL.

Lets see it in this other way, lets suppose you have a company in your country and it is very successful. Then a guy like me that doesn't know you personally or ever had any contact with you or your business find that I can use your company image and products and offer them here in my country thousands of miles away. I will use your copyrighted images, the names of your products in my own offerings. I will say my products are better and cheaper than yours and will make a couple of millions at your expense.

Now tell me, If that is ok with you?

Apple have created their own hardware for their software. They never wanted or sold their software (OS X) to any individual or company.

Dunno what else you need to realize that Psystar is wrong doing totally.

All Psystar is doing is building a computer, selling that to the customer, and allowing the customer to purchase Mac OS X FROM APPLE to install on the computer. Mac OS X is not being ripped off by them. Apple still sells a copy of OS X for every copy sold for use in a Psystar computer. That is not stealing.

They are not using a trademark or a brand to sell a computer. They are selling a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from Apple. Apple also sells a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from them. Sorry, your point is invalid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post

You bought the computer and you bought the copy of OS X. You should be able to do with it as you please. Including using it to wipe your ass after taking a crap.
  • Reply 53 of 144
    Quote:

It is legal if Apple (the owner of the copyright to Mac OS X) has given you permission to install the software on your own computer. Chances are, Apple hasn't given this to you. The EULA (end user license agreement) bundled with retail copies of Mac OS X does not provide such permission either. If you've not received permission from Apple through other means, then you don't have permission.

By the way, I am not a lawyer... but I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

I don't have permission from Apple to use the installation DVD to wipe my ass. I guess it's illegal then, right?
  • Reply 54 of 144
    Quote:

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

When a copyrightable work is registered with the Library of Congress, its owner can request and be awarded "treble" damages (3X the actual damages) by the court from an infringer. Apple also has trademark issues to reconcile with Psystar. Psystar might just be negotiating itself into bankruptcy here, with the only question being how badly.

That sounds more likely. hehe
  • Reply 55 of 144
    Quote:

I don't have permission from Apple to use the installation DVD to wipe my ass. I guess it's illegal then, right?

No, that doesn't involve an act of copying, so you should do that quite often.
  • Reply 56 of 144
    The cost of developing OS X is included in the price of each Macintosh. Some would argue that the OS is the most important feature delineating the Mac from "ordinary computers". The inclusion of OS X is one of the reasons Apple can charge as much as they do for Macs.

OS X retail packs are intended for use only on Apple-branded computers. It says so right in the license agreement. This means that every legal installation of a retail pack is effectively an *upgrade* to the OS originally supplied with the Mac

Apple prices their OS X retail packs at a much lower cost for Mac owners than they would have to charge if it were intended for others.

Some say "Ok, let them charge us non-Mac owners a little more, but then let us legally install OS-X on any computer if we want." There are a few problems with this scenario.

1) Even opening the OS to all comers, Apple is unlikely to match Microsoft's market penetration any time soon. Mac sales would certainly plummet. In order to amortize development costs over a relatively small number of users, Apple would have to charge significantly more for the OS X retail pack than what Microsoft charges for Vista. Some people might be willing pony up the high cost, but many others would pirate it. If piracy became widespread, Apple might follow Microsoft by incorporating an obnoxious DRM registration and validation process. That would be both bad for legitimate users and a drain on Apple's development.

2) Apple would be obliged to take on the burden of testing and qualifying it on a variety of hardware configurations, modifying the OS (on a schedule not under their control) in order to accommodate new hardware, having to support the use on all these platforms or face the wrath of customers and the devaluation of the Apple brand. Apple has seen what this business model has done to Microsoft. Apple doesn't have the security of a 90% entrenched market share, and could not survive a failure such as Vista.

The world is different than it was when Microsoft grew to dominate the industry by licensing its OS (and through dirty business dealings, but we won't go into that). It is unreasonable now to expect Apple, a much smaller company whose present business model appears to be profitable, to risk all by attempting to compete on the same playing field as defined by its much larger competitor.

When YOU run Apple, feel free to try your grand experiment of freely licensing OS X. I'm just glad that the present Apple management has the good sense not to.
  • Reply 57 of 144
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Yeah I thought it was funny too. I guess it's hard to put a price on having a silver plastic Apple on a computer case.

I own a MacPro, big difference between the engineering of the Pro and what amounts to a clone case with standard parts. I don't own one of the Psystar machines, but I have had clone boxes under my desk as well and they are not near as reliable, on the whole.

My MacPro is silent, sturdy, runs very cool, and if I have a problem, I can haul it down to the Apple store. Wondering if Psystar will be opening up a service depot in my area?
  • Reply 58 of 144
    Quote:

All Psystar is doing is building a computer, selling that to the customer, and allowing the customer to purchase Mac OS X FROM APPLE to install on the computer. Mac OS X is not being ripped off by them. Apple still sells a copy of OS X for every copy sold for use in a Psystar computer. That is not stealing.

They are not using a trademark or a brand to sell a computer. They are selling a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from Apple. Apple also sells a computer which allows you to install Mac OS X after purchasing it from them. Sorry, your point is invalid.

You bought the computer and you bought the copy of OS X. You should be able to do with it as you please. Including using it to wipe your ass after taking a crap.

Sorry, are you blind?

1. Psystar sold computers with OSX preinstalled, they removed that later.

2. Do you EVER has saw Psystar website????

Name, packaging, images without any permission of use from Apple. That violates copyright.

You are trying to stand on something that is builded on quicksand. Don't waste more time trying to justify Psystar wrong doing. If you don't have moral and values at all.... well... is your very own problem.

Thankfully there are still a lot of trillions that do the right thing.
  • Reply 59 of 144
    Quote:

No, that doesn't involve an act of copying, . .

Neither does the Psystar when it sells a computer which can run OS X.

pwned.
  • Reply 60 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Name, packaging, images without any permission of use from Apple. That violates copyright.

Uhhhhh, you don't know anything about copyright.

Those are screenshots of a product that is sold. Have you ever seen eBay with people selling Apple hardware?

OMGOMGOMG, COPYRIGHT POLICE, STOP THE EBAY SELLERS FROM PROFITING OFF OF APPLE!!111