AT&T announces free Wi-Fi access for iPhone users (again)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    Has anyone actually received this SMS announcement? I don't know anyone with an iPhone that has.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    AT&T should create an iPhone app to help locate hotspots (preferrably with a cached database incase 3G/EDGE is acting odd) and auto-activate to the hotspots without going through the whole click here SMS there mess.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

It's not a fixable problem.

The only way the hotspot could identify your iPhone as an iPhone is through its MAC address. However, anybody with a small amount of technical knowhow can change their laptop/non-iPhone phone/whatever to clone their iPhone's MAC address. Doing the SMS authentication will at least guarantee that an iPhone was present at the time the request was made.

As I mentioned in another post, if AT&T created an app for the iPhone, the app could do a challenge-response authentication through the hotspot. This would remove any need for an SMS. The app would only run on the iPhone, so you don't have to worry about a laptop impersonating a phone.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -cj- View Post

Has anyone actually received this SMS announcement? I don't know anyone with an iPhone that has.

I received mine about an hour before you sent this message, so it should be hitting your device soon...
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

It's not a fixable problem.

The only way the hotspot could identify your iPhone as an iPhone is through its MAC address. However, anybody with a small amount of technical knowhow can change their laptop/non-iPhone phone/whatever to clone their iPhone's MAC address. Doing the SMS authentication will at least guarantee that an iPhone was present at the time the request was made.

I am not asking for the authentication scheme to be done away with. I'm asking for a way that the iphone does it in the background with username/pwd information stored in settings. Yes, this is actually different than what this thread/article is about. I just saw this as a platform for expressing that this is a wifi problem that feels solvable by Apple/AT&T in some way that is not as kludgey as this method (or the one I've described as well).

As a side note, this is a problem that exists for laptops and other wifi devices too. If I try to navigate with my laptop on an attwifi hotspot, I am forced to open a browser window first and authenticate, and then I have internet/network access.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    I got a notification of this feature via an unsolicited text message today. iPhone 1G

Sheldon
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After several false starts, AT&T on Wednesday began sending SMS messages to iPhone owners announcing that they can now access free of charge the carrier's nation-leading Wi-Fi network of more than 17,000 hotspots.

The text messages directed customers to this page.

"AT&T knows Wi-Fi is hot, and FREE Wi-Fi is even hotter. Which is why FREE AT&T Wi-Fi access is now available for Apple iPhone*at thousands of hotspots nationwide, including Starbucks," the company said. "Users can relax and access music, email and web browsing services with their favorite blend in hand from the comfort of their nearest location."

Of those 17,000 hotspots, more than 8000 are located in restaurants or Starbucks locations, 700+ in bookstores, and another 50+ can be found in supermarkets. The network is also accessible at 12 airports, 31 hotels, 23 universities, 18 convention centers, and 5 sport complexes.

iPhone owners can use this link to locate AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots in cafés, bookstores, airports, hotels, and universities, or this link to find their nearest Starbucks location.

Once in range of an AT&T hotspot, iPhone users should follow these instructions to gain free Wi-Fi access:

Activate Wi-Fi from the settings icon on your iPhone

Select "attwifi" from the list of available networks

Enter your 10-digit mobile number and check the box to agree to the Acceptable Use Policy. Tap 'continue'

You will receive a text message from AT&T with a secure link to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot. You will not be charged for the text message.

The SMS link will only be valid for 24 hours at the location it was requested. Another request must be submitted when using another hotspot location.

Open the text message and tap on the link for 24-hour access to the AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot

I tried it this afternoon and it works as promised! Choose ATT wifi network and open Safari and click on any web site>this brings up the ATT login page> type your phone # and agree to terms. Click OK. A text message is sent to your iPhone with a clickable link. Tapping the link opens Safari and completes the process. It says you can surf for 24 hours before having to repeat the process.

Thanks ATT!
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

I received mine about an hour ago. (1:00pm PT)
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williado21 View Post

This new but old service from AT&T isn't yet in Starbucks in Hawaii. Hawaii Starbucks still use and advertise T-Mobile's service.

Yes, Starbucks stores here are corporate-owned, so there isn't a franchising issue. When they will switch to AT&T is yet to be determined. There is also a benefit to Starbucks Card users who register their cards at starbucks.com for 2 free hours per day if they use their card once a month.

Oh well...I won't believe it until I see it...

What I'm curious about is whether Starbucks will still use T-Mobile for it's WiFi Music Store.

Just two months ago, I was in my Starbucks (Massapequa, NY) and they had both AT&T running, on which I could get 2 free hours (having a Starbucks reward card), and T-Mobile which I would have to switch to in order to access the Starbucks Music Store badge on my iPhone ..
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

I received mine about an hour before you sent this message, so it should be hitting your device soon...

I live here in Seattle, too, but I haven't gotten a txt from AT&T yet. I tried using the service at my nearby SBUX, but I get a response saying that it cant verify my number. Maybe because I ported my number from T-Mobile. Anybody else have this happen to them?
  • Reply 31 of 38
    thats awesome
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Yawn. Let me know if/when it actually works around the country, and they haven't pulled it because it does.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zenwaves View Post

What I'm curious about is whether Starbucks will still use T-Mobile for it's WiFi Music Store.

Just two months ago, I was in my Starbucks (Massapequa, NY) and they had both AT&T running, on which I could get 2 free hours (having a Starbucks reward card), and T-Mobile which I would have to switch to in order to access the Starbucks Music Store badge on my iPhone ..

I wonder why the 2 free hours per day offer is not more widely noticed. You get a Starbucks reward card, register it online and that allows you two free hours per day on your iPhone, iPod touch, MacBook or any other device with a web browser. Is more than two hours really so crucial? You can also have more than one device connected at the same time.

Free ubiquitous 24/7 802.11n access without any authorization would be pleasant but I'm quite happy with the reward card deal. You even get free refills for your coffee. (No, I don't work for Starbucks but I am taking advantage of this offer).
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

Yes! I received my text about it from AT&T at around 8pm almost 10 hrs After the story was published... The text made a believer out of me. I think it's here to stay... Ihave a lot of hotspots near my area.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    I've found I can wheel into the parking lot of nearly any major chain motel and get free WiFi from the comfort of my car.

I suspect if you go during "breakfast" hours, you could wander in and help yourself to free food and beverages as well. I'm keeping that in the back of my mind if the economy tanks.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

Yes! I received my text about it from AT&T at around 8pm almost 10 hrs After the story was published... The text made a believer out of me. I think it's here to stay... Ihave a lot of hotspots near my area.

Got my text at about 10:30 am Central today. Traveling tomorrow for about 17 days so I look forward to the test drive!
  • Reply 37 of 38
    it's about time they offer the wifi free. they've been talking about it forever; let's see if this time it works.

www.masoniblog.blogspot.com

Masoni
  • Reply 38 of 38
    i did, too

masoni