Microsoft's "I'm a PC" spot having little impact versus Apple ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In spite of Microsoft spending $300 million on a concerted effort to get itself back into a positive public mindset, ads most directly targeting Apple are failing to resonate with web viewers and may have already been thwarted by the Mac maker's response.

The series of "I'm a PC" ads, which began airing in mid-September, have seen just 2 million viral views over their first four weeks on the Internet, according to research group Visible Measures.

While not insignificant, the number is dwarfed by those for the company's two Gates and Seinfeld ads: the deliberately eccentric videos have generated more than 6 million views in their history and have also had staying power that wasn't present for the newest commercial.

"I'm a PC" is estimated to have generated approximately half as many views in its first week and a half online and was down to 50,000 views per day just a few days later at the two-week mark, or a fraction of the 700,000 daily views Gates and Seinfeld were managing two weeks after their series launch.

That's a serious problem, according to the analysts: the "I'm a PC" spots, which softly criticize Apple's rendition of the PC as a trouble-ridden stereotype, are meant to be the core of Microsoft's ad campaign. A poor viral reception means web visitors aren't spreading and discussing the ads nearly as often as the Seinfeld pieces, which were reportedly intended as abstract teasers.

More worrying for Microsoft might be Apple's response ads, which tweak the software developer for allegedly spending more money on marketing its brand than fixing problems commonly associated with Windows Vista. The three Apple segments' first week of collective views generated a modest 70 percent of the viral views managed by the "I'm a PC" ad, but were also placed on twice as many websites overall -- 140 versus 70 -- and promised greater exposure than Microsoft's promos.

Neither of these most recent campaigns have had enough clout to outweigh the popularity of the Seinfeld ads, but the success of Apple's retort is said to demonstrate the relative commitment fans have to spreading the company's message on Macs. It also suggests to the research group that Microsoft may have inadvertently quieted the fervor that was circulating its ads and might not regain that spark until Seinfeld's commercials return.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Well I can totally see why the Seinfeld & Gates Ads have been watched more - they are far more entertaining than watching a bunch of people say "I'm a PC." Heck, I went and watched the Seinfeld ads and while I thought they didn't really do a whole lot of advertising for MS I certainly found them entertaining. Considering Apple's Mac vs PC has been around for years the fact that they are getting nearly as many views and twice as much placement as a brand new campaign that is spending much more than them speaks to the near cult-like following those commercials have.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I'm guessing people aren't watching them because there's nothing to see. After the first five or so "I'm a PC," I'd say most people are thinking, "Okay, already. I got the point."
  • Reply 3 of 34
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    There's also nothing new. PC users already know other people use PC's. Unfortunately PC users watching the commercial also know all about they trouble they've had with PC's the past 20 years.

All Microsoft's ads say are "We'd like to remind you PC users out there that you use a PC."

The public isn't as stupid about computers as they were 10-15 years ago and Microsoft's little games they've played have caught up with them.

Microsoft's operating system is such shit that it created a multi-billion dollar antivirus industry for God's sake.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I'm guessing people aren't watching them because there's nothing to see. After the first five or so "I'm a PC," I'd say most people are thinking, "Okay, already. I got the point."

• Reply 4 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I get the impression that the Seinfeld ads were cut off prematurely, like telling a story but don't even get to the second act, or telling a joke and forgetting to finish the setup, nevermind tell the punch line.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    What the "I'm a PC" ad campaign accomplished is to sell the Apple and Mac brand. Apple really gave Microsoft and inferiority complex. Poor MS needs Bill Gates back at the helm before YHOO buys them. Balmer is so lame it's pathetic! What stupefies me is Apple has RDF's Microsoft into chanting mantras from Apple's own script. I've never witnessed lamer corporate public relations in my life!

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._mistakes.html

"In his keynote Tuesday, Sinofsky said Microsoft is learning its lessons from Vista, which was widely criticized by users and the press, and spoofed famously in humorous television advertisements by competitor Apple.

Sinofsky acknowledged that some of the criticism was deserved, particularly around Microsoft's lack of preparing its hardware, software and peripheral partners for Vista's release, even though it was more than five years in the making."

WTF is MS doing? Hari Kari?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Microsoft's operating system is such shit that it created a multi-billion dollar antivirus industry for God's sake.

Indeed. From my perspective, Microsoft has robbed customers (individuals, companies) of time and money for the past 30 years by producing an OS riddled with bugs, security problems, and needless complexities in its usability.

This makes Microsoft one of the most criminal companies on the planet. Bill Gates should be jailed, IMO. I'm not exagerating.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

WTF is MS doing? Hari Kari?

harakiri. (Or, seppuku).
  • Reply 8 of 34
    With all of the crap that's going on the world, you think that BILL GATES needs to be thrown in prison?

Anyway... I doubt that any of you will recall, but I was among the few who predicted that the Seinfeld ads would be a good idea. Pretty much everybody said how Seinfeld is "washed up," and "irrelevant," but you were wrong. I was right.

Just wanted to gloat.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Well I can totally see why the Seinfeld & Gates Ads have been watched more - they are far more entertaining

the irony being that likely half if not more than of those viewers were checking them out just to say WTF? and then turned around and emailed tons of folks to "check out this dumb ass ad that Microsoft made"
  • Reply 10 of 34
    PC users have a different mentality from Mac users; most Mac users are proud of the computer they're using, whiile PC users are using just an ordinay box.... How many cars have you seen with an Apple sticker on ? Have many cars have you seen with a Windows sticker ?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    kinda like advertising that you drive a Chevy Caprice around town.... yahhh, soo.... who cares, it's a common Chevy, GM, Pontiac, big deal. There's nothing unique about it.

The problem with Microsoft is that they try too hard to duplicate Apple on every angle that they miss the point. Apple is unique which makes them stand out, there is nothing unique about Windows because just about everyone uses it or knows all about it, in what way can it stand out or be different.

Microsoft needs to spend more time making themselves unique or stand out (in a good way) and stop looking over at what Apple is doing all the time so that they can duplicate it in the worst way possible.

.....and then get rid of Ballmer who is the biggest monkey act they ever had. Too bad Microsoft doesn't care enough about their products and customers to make great products instead of sales, sales, sales. \ Oh well! someday maybe!
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

harakiri. (Or, seppuku).

I was too lazy to Google it. Thank you.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by semiaa View Post

PC users have a different mentality from Mac users; most Mac users are proud of the computer they're using, whiile PC users are using just an ordinay box.... How many cars have you seen with an Apple sticker on ? Have many cars have you seen with a Windows sticker ?

That's over simplistic. When I used Windows I loved my Dell. You make an ironic point, though. Apple is the only brand free of component logos but its users feel compelled to paste Apple's logo on their cars. I'm guilty, too. Does that make me an Apple component?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Microsoft don't need these ads - so many people use their computers that if they just released a good solid no-nonsense version of Windows, they would be incredibly popular.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Indeed. From my perspective, Microsoft has robbed customers (individuals, companies) of time and money for the past 30 years by producing an OS riddled with bugs, security problems, and needless complexities in its usability.

This makes Microsoft one of the most criminal companies on the planet. Bill Gates should be jailed, IMO. I'm not exagerating.

No, you are more like hallucinating
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Microsoft don't need these ads - so many people use their computers that if they just released a good solid no-nonsense version of Windows, they would be incredibly popular.

Amen to that. If only they actually did what the company was set up for in the first place, there wouldn't be all this controversy. C'mon, Microsoft, for once make a decent OS. You did well with 3.1, and *okay* with XP.

Also, I find it rather funny that Microsoft spends all this money to compete against the negative campaigning of a computer company Steve Ballmer consistently dismisses as insignificant. So insignificant they're spending $300 million in advertising to combat against it. Ha!

On a slight side note, does anyone remember Steve Ballmer dismissing the iPhone, saying who was going to pay that much for a phone? Answer: a lot of people, Steve, a lot of people. Idiot.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

the irony being that likely half if not more than of those viewers were checking them out just to say WTF? and then turned around and emailed tons of folks to "check out this dumb ass ad that Microsoft made"

Just seemed like a rejected scene from Seinfeld and as I really enjoy that show a rejected scene is still better than a lot of other things...
  • Reply 18 of 34
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus_man View Post

With all of the crap that's going on the world, you think that BILL GATES needs to be thrown in prison?

Anyway... I doubt that any of you will recall, but I was among the few who predicted that the Seinfeld ads would be a good idea. Pretty much everybody said how Seinfeld is "washed up," and "irrelevant," but you were wrong. I was right.

Just wanted to gloat.

You weren't right. The Seinfeld ads might be better than the I'm a PC ads, but they're both terrible ideas.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

harakiri. (Or, seppuku).

wow, I can't believe no-one has posted that "either form is acceptable in american english" yet, because thats what usually happens.

.. oh hold on.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

wow, I can't believe no-one has posted that "either form is acceptable in american english" yet, because thats what usually happens.

.. oh hold on.

Yes, as I remember , 'harakiri' means belly-cutting, which is quite demeaning of the act, whereas 'seppuku' is the preferred name for the ritual act.

P.