Apple silently updates MobileMe web apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    The problem with not notifying users and then "things just work better" is that this approach does not help the user who has been avoiding the features that don't work... they'd never know anything was fixed and would just keep avoiding the known problems.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimdkc View Post

The problem with not notifying users and then "things just work better" is that this approach does not help the user who has been avoiding the features that don't work... they'd never know anything was fixed and would just keep avoiding the known problems.

I couldn't agree more. For quite awhile I couldn't send mail from the web app. It looked like the mail got sent, but it was never delivered and didn't show up in the Sent Mail folder. I had pretty much given up on MobileMe mail after finding out that nobody was getting my email. After seeing this thread, I just checked and it appears that mail is now working properly. Otherwise I would have gone on assumeing they hadn't fixed the problem yet.

Apple's lack of information is fine when they are protecting hardware development and such, but it's totally unacceptable when you are running a web service. Another email provider I used recently had a major outage lasting several days. But even though it was frustrating, the situation was made tolerable by the fact that you could go to their status page and see regularly updated, detailed entries on what the problem was and the steps they were taking to correct it.

And problems aside, what happens when a feature you've been using is taken away without warning during one of these updates? It's not like the apps on your computer where you can decided for yourself to install the update. Will we get fair warning (and compensation) about the lost services, or will they just disappear without explaination?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    But why can't you set calendar reminders on MobileMe???
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prism View Post

Main thing I am missing is RSS not being synced.

Really miss that, since I got my main stuff on my MacBook, but when I work on my MacPro I want to see those RSS feeds too.

NetNewsWire
  • Reply 25 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mistergsf View Post

But why can't you set calendar reminders on MobileMe???

I complained about this on day one, it's beyond ridiculous. No alarms lol, it's too funny.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My Mail was a bit schizo last night.

Could someone possibly tell me why: This didn't happen me before last night, when I'm sending an email the activity says "Sending..." and shows the message I'm currently typing about every 40 seconds progressing up as 'outgoing' in the mail activity window.

This is confusing, how could a messages I haven't sent yet be in the outgoing activity before I send it, whereby the progress bar goes up and it looks like it's sent the message. I keep on expecting an email from someone; "why did you send me the same message 6 times?". Someone people wave your wand and fix this thing, it's annoying, confusing and distracting.

Assuming your using Mail:

Check Mail Preferences>>Accounts>>"your account">>Mailbox Behaviors.

Is the "Draft: Store draft messages on the server" checkbox checked? If it is you will get this symptom. It is checked by default.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BartVB View Post

It's great that there are updates but it really baffles me that they still haven't fixed the huge gaping security hole that me.com is. Only the login and accounts pages use a HTTPS connection, all other data (contacts, mail, calendar, etc) are all send in the clear over the public internet. I'm not using the remote disk feature of MobileMe but last time I looked even that feature used HTTP as a transport without any encryption whatsoever.

You would think it would be trivial for apple to fix this? I'm really curious why they still haven't \

"The only real web pages MobileMe exchanges with the server are the HTML, JavaScript, and CSS files that make up the application, which have no need for SSL encryption following the initial user authentication." (McLean, http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ps.html&page=2)

I'm not too sure about iDisk as a mapped drive on Windows though - I think the username and password is sent in the clear unfortunately.

I believe Jobs said that with Eddy Cue in charge they hoped to get MobileMe into a service we could all be proud of by the end of the year. The end of the year is approaching and I hope they actually throw some serious resources into the service.

The potential of an *easily* configured, ubiquitous information service (email and calendaring) available and synced between desktops and portable devices is enormous. People (incl. me) have been chasing that dream, using hacked together services to approximate this, for years now and still no one seems to have gotten it right (i.e. MobileMe taken seriously).
  • Reply 28 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Assuming your using Mail:

Check Mail Preferences>>Accounts>>"your account">>Mailbox Behaviors.

Is the "Draft: Store draft messages on the server" checkbox checked? If it is you will get this symptom. It is checked by default.

Yeah, I figured out that's what it was, I never saw that activity before, which is weird. I think maybe the automatic checking of that checkbox was added on 10.5.5, cause I think was not checked on 10.5.4 - as far as I can remember. Cheers though.

Just to make sure when I was troubleshooting I deleted my Mobile me account and re-added it, only to see the following when I restarted Mail.

Could somebody explain this to me clearly:

• Reply 29 of 29
    Mobile Me is still shitty.

I have the misfortune of having consistent upload problems. (using Macbookpro + Tiger) no excuse for this bad service.

it promises to be cool, but still buggy.