Microsoft Office 2008 12.1.4 patches new Entourage bug

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Microsoft on Thursday issued its version 12.1.4 update for Office for Mac 2008 (16MB) -- but also an apology.

The company's earlier 12.1.3 fix had introduced a new flaw which would prevent certain Entourage owners from sending meeting invites. This was most likely when the user either set up a Microsoft Exchange account after an IMAP or POP mail account was made.

Also, a change in the model for invites that uses the Drafts folder on the Exchange server to send the notices has created problems for a handful of users whose Drafts folders haven't been working correctly.

For the latter solution, the Mac Business Unit has developed a workaround but also a warning to let those with damaged Drafts folders know there may be a server-side Exchange problem to fix.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    What about the installation issue introduced in the last .3 update? Every time I tried to update it failed and I wasn't the only one at the time. I never found a solution to that problem and as MS never offers combo updates for Office I will never be able to update beyond the .2 release which is the slowest, most bug-ridden Office suite I've ever had the displeasure of using.

I'm now using OpenOffice which may be slow but IMHO is an improvement on Office 2008.

What do they get up to in that MacBU all day? Or does Ballmer tell them to make it slow on purpose then iron out the bugs over the following decade? And while you're at it why don't you give Messenger a whole new version number for no new features available to the consumers that the entire program and service was targeted at in the first place. They may be the biggest bunch of Mac developers outside Apple but they're also the biggest bunch of clowns.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Is Office 2008 worth buying yet?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Is Office 2008 worth buying yet?

As far as I'm concerned, absolutely not.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Okay, I'll stick with office 2004. Though I dual boot windows for heavy office needs.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daniel84 View Post

What about the installation issue introduced in the last .3 update? Every time I tried to update it failed and I wasn't the only one at the time. I never found a solution to that problem and as MS never offers combo updates for Office I will never be able to update beyond the .2 release which is the slowest, most bug-ridden Office suite I've ever had the displeasure of using.

Hi Daniel,

I am very sorry for the inconvenience. Our 12.1.0 (SP1) and 12.1.3 updaters are both combo updaters. The latest 12.1.4 is an incremental update that patches 12.1.3.

We are well-aware of the update issue you refer to and we have been following and responding to users' feedback in forums and discussion boards during each release.

The reasons we have identified to be causing update issues are:

- Sometimes (especially when installing multiple updates in sequence) the Apple Installer doesn't cleanup temporary files). In this case a restart resolves the problem

- The user has renamed the Office 2008 folder or some application name inside it

- The user has deleted some part of the Office 2008 folder they didn?t think they needed

- The user has run a tool such as Monolingual to remove extra languages from Office

- The user has run a tool such as Xslimmer or Monolingual to remove extra code architectures from Office.

- The user has moved the Office 2008 folder to another location.

If you still feel none of the above applies to your situation, I would like to follow-up with you to determine the cause.

You can also find more information in the following blog from one of our developers: http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2008/08/...se-bits-alone/

And on my blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/alejandroramirez/

Alejandro Ramirez

Microsoft Mac BU
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alejandro Ramirez View Post

I am very sorry for the inconvenience. Our 12.1.0 (SP1) and 12.1.3 updaters are both combo updaters. The latest 12.1.4 is an incremental update that patches 12.1.3.

Thanks for your reply, Alejandro. I'll give what you suggested a try.

EDIT: I've managed to get it working thanks to your help, Alejandro. Thank you for taking the time to clarify and suggest workarounds for the issues in these updates. I have to admit the latest version feels a lot snappier than pre-12.1 releases. Although it's still a far cry from its Windows cousin, especially from cold start.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alejandro Ramirez View Post

Hi Daniel,

We are well-aware of the update issue you refer to and we have been following and responding to users' feedback in forums and discussion boards during each release.

The reasons we have identified to be causing update issues are:

- Sometimes (especially when installing multiple updates in sequence) the Apple Installer doesn't cleanup temporary files). In this case a restart resolves the problem

- The user has renamed the Office 2008 folder or some application name inside it

- The user has deleted some part of the Office 2008 folder they didn?t think they needed

- The user has run a tool such as Monolingual to remove extra languages from Office

- The user has run a tool such as Xslimmer or Monolingual to remove extra code architectures from Office.

- The user has moved the Office 2008 folder to another location.

If you still feel none of the above applies to your situation, I would like to follow-up with you to determine the cause.

You can also find more information in the following blog from one of our developers: http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2008/08/...se-bits-alone/

And on my blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/alejandroramirez/

Alejandro Ramirez

Microsoft Mac BU

Last weekend, I completely removed Office 2008, then reinstalled all the updates and Word still crashes on "Command-S" saves. I have to do save as and the click the replace button which wastes an incredible amount of time.

NeoOffice and Apple Pages work so I'll use them as my primary apps.

I am checking eBay for Office 2004 to use for any compatibility problems (none so far with NeoOffice and Apple Pages) until--if ever--Word 2008 works properly. I suspect the problem is feature bloat again.