New Mac Notebooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm considering going with one of the new MBs or MBPs. Right now I use a Dell E1505 (Core 2 Duo/1.86 GHZ). So what I'm wondering...

1. Have there been any issues reported with the new line of notebooks? Other than people just complaining b/c certain features are there still

2. Is the speed difference between the MBP 2.4 and 2.53 processor that noticeable?

3. Office or iWorks? (FYI I teach at a university)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueMeanie23 View Post

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm considering going with one of the new MBs or MBPs. Right now I use a Dell E1505 (Core 2 Duo/1.86 GHZ). So what I'm wondering...

1. Have there been any issues reported with the new line of notebooks? Other than people just complaining b/c certain features are there still

2. Is the speed difference between the MBP 2.4 and 2.53 processor that noticeable?

Hey BlueMeanie, I just received my new MacBook a couple of days ago and all I can say is that I love it. I haven't experienced any problems at all yet, but it's still early I guess. I'm hoping it will be as bulletproof as my previous mac which lasted me 6 years without a single problem (except for my SuperDrive crapping out a couple months ago).

I don't think there would be a big difference in performance between the 2.4 and 2.53 CPU's, but then again I'm not a pro user (I mainly just use the iLife suite of apps).

As for iWork, I got it with my MacBook but I haven't got to fool around with it much yet. I had Microsoft Office teacher and student on my old mac and it worked great.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've been using the new MBP and been loving it ever since. I too am from Dell XPS M1330 and is much better in built quality.

As far as the 2.4 vs 2.53, your only increasing in 130 mhz with 3mb more of L2 Cache. For $500 more, Not worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueMeanie23 View Post

1. Too early to tell

2. According to benchmarks (sorry dont have the links right now) the difference is ~ 7% overall. Better spend the money upgrading the HD IMO (check out western digital scorpios and seagate momentus)

3. iWorks blows office out of the water and then some in my opinion. The only exception is numbers, which is still lacking compared to excel. Office is even detrimental. The only crash my iMac suffered in 6 months was caused by MS Word. I try to avoid anything touched by MS.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I've just got a new macbook, and it's worth remembering you can get a free trial of iworks with it which will last for 30 days if you wanted to try it. I'd also recommend Openoffice. I've Installed it and have decided not to bother paying for iworks at the end of the trial. It can open and save ms office files fine, it works great, is easy to use, and best of all it's free.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...officeorg.html