Apple needs a netbook like the Eee PC--a MacBook mini?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have a MacBook and find it to be a great computer. However, I travel for business and have some physical problems that make carrying the MacBook for any amount of time painful due to some ruptured discs and a rotator cuff injury. The MacBook is just too heavy.

The Eee PC is tempting with its 2 pound weight. With Linux, I'd avoid Windows problems.

The iPhone is a great product but not for me since I receive at least 300 e-mails/day and send/return another 100+. My business involves semiconductor manufacturing so long technical words are necessary which rules out sending multi-paragraph e-mails.

None of the smart phones including the iPhone have keyboards that work for my stubby fingers.

I have a nice cell phone that works anywhere (4 bands) but it uses AT&T which does not have the coverage they claim. In the last month, I've had weak or no signal problems in the Chicago area where I live and in Omaha, San Jose, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur and Penang Malaysia.

At least the MacBook's Safari and Apple Mail worked fine where I could get signals.

The Eee PC keyboard is usable and it can run OpenOffice and a browser which is what I need on the road.

Working in electronics manufacturing, I know that netbook demand like the Eee PC is booming and I would hate to see Apple miss out.

MacBook Air? Another great computer but it is too heavy and has the another problem that my MacBook has--you have to be careful when flying coach (businesses are watching costs) since the person in front of you can recline and smash the display.

I'll wait a few months before buying the Eee PC and see what Apple does. I have several Macs and would really prefer a MacBook mini. If the cost is under $1000, I'd buy the first one.

Suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Agreed. I have been looking for an Apple NetBook or tablet and I think I am about to give up.

This one has been hacked (video on youtube) and even the touch screen works.

http://laptopcom.blogspot.com/2008/0...ni-laptop.html

The only thing keeping me from going there is that the unit itself is panned as somewhat slow and for running hot.

Anyone running OSX on a Gigabyte?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macs_since_1984 View Post

MacBook Air? Another great computer but it is too heavy and has the another problem that my MacBook has--you have to be careful when flying coach (businesses are watching costs) since the person in front of you can recline and smash the display.

What? Just get and Air. And what's up with the font.

Then later, if you think it's too heavy, give it to me.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Have you thought about just getting a backpack. My last 2 old 17's have almost never left my side. I carry them (just one at a time) from work to home, in cars, on my bike, walking , etc.

I find that a good backback distributes the weight well. If you find the right backpack you can almost forget it's there. Plus your not lopsided from having a MacBook hanging from one side of ya.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macs_since_1984 View Post

You fly coach from Chicago to Indonesia and Hong Kong regularly? Ouch.

Looks for specific aircraft from specific airlines with better legroom. This translates in being able to pull the tray table further away from the seat in front of you and vastly reducing the risk of a crunch.

Without knowing which airlines you're allowed to fly it's hard to get any more specific. "Premium economy" is often allowed for such long distances even when business class is not so I'd look for an airline with that class. These also more commonly have power ports than pure coach in addition to leg room and better seat pitch.

As for laptop...for you...Sony G2 - 1.98 lbs - 2.46 lbs, 1.2Ghz U1400 Core 2 Duo, 12.1" display.

Caveat? Not available in the US, pricey (in comparison to an Eee) and probably due for a new rev since it was released a year ago. Get in HK or stop in Tokyo.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/25/s...series-laptop/
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Moved this post to the "MacTouch FTW" thread instead.