If I had $150,000...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
OK, OK, we all know about the shopping spree that some hockey mom took recently, but that discussion rightly belongs in PO. KEEP POLITICS IN PO, NOT HERE.







My question to you is, if you had $150,000, what would you do with it?



There are really two questions here:



1) If you were given $150,000 to spend as you wished, how would you spend it?



2) If you were being treated to $150,000 to spend on yourself, how would you?





I will wait a while before posting my own answers in order to not guide this one way or another.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,849member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    OK, OK, we all know about the shopping spree that some hockey mom took recently, but that discussion rightly belongs in PO. KEEP POLITICS IN PO, NOT HERE.







    My question to you is, if you had $150,000, what would you do with it?



    There are really two questions here:



    1) If you were given $150,000 to spend as you wished, how would you spend it?



    a. I would pay off my car, credit cards, etc. Total=about $30,000

    b. I would put 50,000 in a CD

    c. I would buy a kick ass Home Theater system for $10,000 (TV, sound)

    d. I would finish my basement for $20,000

    e. I would spend another $20,000 on home furnishings (new bedroom set, basement stuff, etc).

    f. I would put $10,000 in my savings account

    g. I would spend $5,000 on a honeymoon this April

    h. The remaining money would be mad money, gifts, computer shit, etc.



    Quote:



    2) If you were being treated to $150,000 to spend on yourself, how would you?



    I would blow it all on expensive hookers, cigars and scotch.





    Quote:



    I will wait a while before posting my own answers in order to not guide this one way or another.





    Cool thread. Actually that amount of money if kind of weird to think about, because it's not crazy filthy rich territory. Sometimes I think winning $100,000 to $2,000,000 would be harder than winning/coming into $50m.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    OK, OK, we all know about the shopping spree that some hockey mom took recently, but that discussion rightly belongs in PO. KEEP POLITICS IN PO, NOT HERE.







    My question to you is, if you had $150,000, what would you do with it?



    There are really two questions here:



    1) If you were given $150,000 to spend as you wished, how would you spend it?



    A. Pay off my mortgage.

    B. Our cars are paid off but we desperately need new ones. Buy a minivan for the wife. Buy a small japanese commuter car for me.

    C. Invest half of the rest in a CD

    D. Split the rest between our savings and my daughter's college fund.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    2) If you were being treated to $150,000 to spend on yourself, how would you?



    I will wait a while before posting my own answers in order to not guide this one way or another.



    Oh jeez. I would go back to university to get my Masters. Maybe buy a BMW Z4 with the leftover. And the nicest tricked out MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    So I have to spend it?



    Pay bills.



    Pay off some of mortgage.



    Pay for preschool.



    Insulate house better.



    Replace garage door.



    Fix walkway up to the house.



    Buy some clothes actually. I lost weight so none of my old stuff fits.



    Get the timing belt replaced on my car.



    I can't bank it huh?



    In that case I'd pay my monthly bills with the money and bank my paycheck. Does that count?
  • Reply 4 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post


    So I have to spend it?



    Pay bills.



    Pay off some of mortgage.



    Pay for preschool.



    Insulate house better.



    Replace garage door.



    Fix walkway up to the house.



    Buy some clothes actually. I lost weight so none of my old stuff fits.



    Get the timing belt replaced on my car.



    I can't bank it huh?



    In that case I'd pay my monthly bills with the money and bank my paycheck. Does that count?



    He didn't say you couldn't bank it.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Oh! I'd pay the high interest bills and bank the rest.



    I thought we were doing it Brewster's Millions style.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    I have about $6000 in debt, and that would be the first to go.



    I would put $50000 in a second college fund for my daughter.



    I would give $10000 to my parents.



    I would spend $10000 on a holiday.



    I would buy a new MacBook Pro



    I would spend about $5000 on camera equipment.



    I would use the rest to take time off from work and study full-time to get a Master's Degree. Anything left over would be invested.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I'm most of the way through spending around $150K on a new house, and some of the stuff to go into that new house, like furniture and home theater equipment. On top of that I'll be throwing in the money from the sale of our old house, which has been sitting in the bank waiting for the construction of the new house to be completed.



    I've never burned through so much money so fast before in my life, but at least I have way, way more to show for it than a few outfits.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Leave it in the bank and live off the interest. $150 000 @ 7.2%p.a works out to about $207.00 a week. I wouldn't have to work while studying. Hooray! I suppose I could pay my fees upfront too. Which then leaves me less money to earn in interest, So I'd still need to work. But the work money would be going to university fees instead of living.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Hookers + Drugs
  • Reply 10 of 41
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers! Ah, forget the amusement park."
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post


    Leave it in the bank and live off the interest. $150 000 @ 7.2%p.a works out to about $207.00 a week. I wouldn't have to work while studying. Hooray! I suppose I could pay my fees upfront too. Which then leaves me less money to earn in interest, So I'd still need to work. But the work money would be going to university fees instead of living.



    Only problem is that's not enough for me... I need $2500 a month to live in HK, ($4000 to live comfortably). At most it would be a slight relief from the pressure, but not a solution for it. For the solution, i have to pay off my debts and also spend directly on my further education. But i also need to support my daughter and i want to do something for the folks for putting up with me during the tough times. And I want to spend a little...
  • Reply 12 of 41
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    buy gold and bury it in the mountains....
  • Reply 13 of 41
    I have zero debt. So... I would invest it in a variety of growth and maintenance financial tools -- ranging from money markets to cds... The goal being to provide me with enough wiggle room in the future to ensure that I have little to no debt ever and can use the money for both maintenance of lifestyle (which is as you can suspect, cheap) and support of causes that interest me.



    As for having to spend it on someone else's dime...



    My lappy is dying... New notebook. $3000

    Clothing upgrade... let's ballpark it at $10000 (i wear clothing with holes and beach/paint stains)...

    New bike for commuting... $4000 (a nice bike for commuting )



    Really that's all I can think of now for purchases... I may want to buy some things for my kitchen, but I don't use it so there wouldn't be much point.



    I would rather use most of it for taking trips... A sort of permanent and long term slush fund for world travel. I live an adequate life right now and I am on the wrong side of the median income in the US; I save money albeit slowly. It is sad that part of me was thinking about how 150K would be a nice addition to a start up package for a lab -- this was my third thought after the need for a new laptop (which will kill my budget for this year) and clothing...



    Now let's put this into some perspective...



    At the age of 21, I was handed a check for 45K. Inheritance. 15K of which went to the government and I have no problem with that (in fact, I was and still am surprised it was so little). I still have the 30K even though I have spent around 12K for world travel/electronics (sometimes wastefully) over the last eight years (and my stocks are off 20%). My opinion was that this money is not something I deserved; not something I worked for so it is money that I can grow, but never use in a sense...
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    Only problem is that's not enough for me... I need $2500 a month to live in HK, ($4000 to live comfortably). At most it would be a slight relief from the pressure, but not a solution for it. For the solution, i have to pay off my debts and also spend directly on my further education. But i also need to support my daughter and i want to do something for the folks for putting up with me during the tough times. And I want to spend a little...



    Wow. Thinking about it I've never realised how simple my life is. Any money I get just goes to food and rent. The rest is saved. I have no other financial obligations at all. Except university fees but that can be paid off when I'm done.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    it's not 150k it's really about 90k because of taxes

    So pay uncle Sam first or get the IRS on your butt

    2nd thing put in the bank and think about it for 4-6 months

    My dad always said pay IRS first retirement/education theN

    Family then youself...... I have benefited from this in a huge

    Way
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post


    Wow. Thinking about it I've never realised how simple my life is. Any money I get just goes to food and rent. The rest is saved. I have no other financial obligations at all. Except university fees but that can be paid off when I'm done.



    Well, the trick is to keep that. Never get into debt beyond your student loans. Never use credit cards unless you can pay it off at the end of the month.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,422member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    Well, the trick is to keep that. Never get into debt beyond your student loans. Never use credit cards unless you can pay it off at the end of the month.



    very good advice, also for those that can't manage one dollar how can they manage 100, 1000 or 150k

    something like 70+% of those that win a large lottery are bankrupt in 5 years. wow, most people don't know how to manage their money



    i'd follow my plan
  • Reply 18 of 41
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Bitches man, bitches. It is the cheapest way to happiness. Tons of hookers.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    First I would spend $10K on some kickass Mac gear.



    Then plan how to invest in a business (not stocks, etc.) that I am involved in to grow that $140,000 that remains at about 10% per month (possible, depending on the business invested)...



    Would you like me to provide you my PayPal address so that we may kickstart this process?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    OK, OK, we all know about the shopping spree that some hockey mom took recently, but that discussion rightly belongs in PO. KEEP POLITICS IN PO, NOT HERE.



    My question to you is, if you had $150,000, what would you do with it?



    There are really two questions here:



    1) If you were given $150,000 to spend as you wished, how would you spend it?



    2) If you were being treated to $150,000 to spend on yourself, how would you?



    I will wait a while before posting my own answers in order to not guide this one way or another.



  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post


    Leave it in the bank and live off the interest. $150 000 @ 7.2%p.a works out to about $207.00 a week. I wouldn't have to work while studying. Hooray! I suppose I could pay my fees upfront too. Which then leaves me less money to earn in interest, So I'd still need to work. But the work money would be going to university fees instead of living.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post


    Wow. Thinking about it I've never realised how simple my life is. Any money I get just goes to food and rent. The rest is saved. I have no other financial obligations at all. Except university fees but that can be paid off when I'm done.



    Yes, life is simple when you are at Uni and living in Australia.
Sign In or Register to comment.