Netflix opens web movie streams to most Mac users

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Netflix has expanded the online component of its movie rental service to include any Intel Mac user who volunteers to join in a new public beta.

The test version of Watch Instantly is open to any Mac user with both a qualifying Netflix subscription and a system capable of playing videos in Microsoft's Silverlight web plugin.

Previously limited just to a controlled rollout, the expanded beta is considered the second phase of testing and comes along with a new wave of movies and TVs added to the service for all viewers.

The company cautions that there may be bugs and that the Silverlight version's catalog isn't a one-for-one duplicate of what's available in the regular version of Watch Instantly, which normally requires Internet Explorer on a Windows PC or else a set-top box with Netflix support built-in.

The expansion is made possible by Silverlight's inherent support for copy protection regardless of either the operating system or the browser and thus prevents casual rips of the video feed using third-party tools.

Mac users have typically been excluded from such services in the past but have gained increasing access in recent months to commercial video services that once required Windows alone, such as Amazon's Video on Demand. Hulu and other free services have often escaped these limits due to their uses of advertising, which lets the Fox/NBC joint project offer video for free.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    This has been a much needed benefit for Mac owners with a NetFlix account.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Should've made it compatible with Apple TV.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I don't think it was their choice in not making it compatible with Apple TV, then it would compete with the iTunes store, and its pretty clear Apple is not interested in allowing applications that will compete.

Same subject if they do release a new mac mini there is going to be an Apple TV for sale now that netflix is doing this!
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Slight correction to the article: It did not require IE on Windows. Netflix streaming also works with Firefox 2 or higher.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i installed plugin but still does not work on intel imac ? any suggestions?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:

It's not like Apple said Macs should support Netflix - The irony in all of this is that it is enabled by Microsoft's Silverlight, which is a web-browser plug-in technology, supported on Windows, Mac, and promised soon on Linux.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    i can't really see subscribing to netflix. i mean, i love the concept, and how they turned the whole video rental industry upside-down, and we really got our use out of it when my wife was pregnant a few years ago. but, i have no plan to support a company that relies so heavily on using pop-under ads, via casalemedia.

ironic, that while helping forge ahead, adding to the best of the internet, they also advertise with a company that pushes so hard to keep the worst of the internet one step ahead of popup-blocking technologies. i find that horribly offensive.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    if it involves loading anything microsoft (like silverlight) on my mac, no fucking way. I'll stick with my DVD deliveries any day over installing microsoft crap on my computers.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post

i installed plugin but still does not work on intel imac ? any suggestions?

it's microsoft, of course it doesn't work properly.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

if it involves loading anything microsoft (like silverlight) on my mac, no fucking way.

+1!

{some text because the message is too short.}
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Damn. It actually works..

I've now watched 11 episodes of season 1 of 30 Rock... I CAN'T TURN IT OFF!!!!

Yeah.. I should seek some help.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    I installed silverlight and then tried to watch a movie. After loading the player in the browser window, it crashed Safari just at the moment it would have shown the movie.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Well, now it's playing, but the image tears really badly during motion - it doesn't perform vertical sync with the monitor so it looks really crappy.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    this is a great step forward. it is working great! i have been using vmware the past year to watch instant media on netflix, now i dont have to use that method!
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simple_one View Post

i can't really see subscribing to netflix. i mean, i love the concept, and how they turned the whole video rental industry upside-down, and we really got our use out of it when my wife was pregnant a few years ago. but, i have no plan to support a company that relies so heavily on using pop-under ads, via casalemedia.

ironic, that while helping forge ahead, adding to the best of the internet, they also advertise with a company that pushes so hard to keep the worst of the internet one step ahead of popup-blocking technologies. i find that horribly offensive.

Pop under ads on the Netflix website? I've never experienced this. Though it's possible it exists on Netflix, I find it kind of ironic that you visit appleinsider.com, which does use pop under ads. Could you point me to some info about pop under ads on Netflix? Thx.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

As stated, this is not something Netflix can just support. However, their may be a light at the end of the tunnel. Boxee can play Flash-based episodes from Hulu and Comedy Central. I don't think it would be too much trouble for them to add the Silverlight plug-in to their installer to create access to the Netflix VoD site.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I have TiVo with a wireless broadband connection to my home AirPort network. Any way to have all these play together with NetFlix (which I also use for DVDs)? In other words, can I use this new NetFlix deely on my Mac and stream it to my plasma TV downstairs? I'm thinking not, but who knows? Where there's a geek there's a way.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Very nice. I'll take advantage of this tonight. This shows that the Mac is a presence not to be ignored.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I have TiVo with a wireless broadband connection to my home AirPort network. Any way to have all these play together with NetFlix (which I also use for DVDs)? In other words, can I use this new NetFlix deely on my Mac and stream it to my plasma TV downstairs? I'm thinking not, but who knows? Where there's a geek there's a way.

You can, but not with TiVo. You'd have to have a really long video out connection from you Mac upstairs to the plasma downstairs -or- by a small PC for your Plasma so you it can play streamed content from Netflix through it.

I would think that Boxee will add access to it Netflix to the AppleTV in the future, but we'll have to wait for an official word.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    got it working. download ms silverlight and go to netflix b site and opt in to beta program. (netflix tech support can walk u through it) i have very fast internet and works great although pic quality less than dvd.