Netflix opens web movie streams to most Mac users

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I have TiVo with a wireless broadband connection to my home AirPort network. Any way to have all these play together with NetFlix (which I also use for DVDs)? In other words, can I use this new NetFlix deely on my Mac and stream it to my plasma TV downstairs? I'm thinking not, but who knows? Where there's a geek there's a way.

Netflix is coming to TiVo in December, at least for their HD boxes. They might change their mind and roll it for Series 2 models as well, but right now it only says HD models.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I've been using it all afternoon. Works great!!

I've watched RoboCop 1 and I'm watching 2 right now. Yeah... I know they're lame, but I haven't seen these movies in almost 20 years. This is almost definitely going to start taking over the majority of my days off. Love it.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    No support for PowerPC based Macs.

Lame...
  • Reply 24 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy View Post

Lame...

This looks to be an issue with Silverlight 2.0 not being supported by MS on PPC Macs, not with Netflix trying to exclude PPC Macs from the list. With PPC Macs number dropping considerably, it makes sense for MS to focus only on Intel Macs.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This looks to be an issue with Silverlight 2.0 not being supported by MS on PPC Macs, not with Netflix trying to exclude PPC Macs from the list. With PPC Macs number dropping considerably, it makes sense for MS to focus only on Intel Macs.

I don't for one second believe that Intel Macs outnumber PPC Macs. Anyone have any research that supports or refutes this?
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't for one second believe that Intel Macs outnumber PPC Macs. Anyone have any research that supports or refutes this?

I didn't say they outnumber the Intel Mac installed base (I would think by now they would, but I don't know), but the percentage of PPC Macs to Intel Macs is clearly lowering everyday and it's been 2 years since Apple stopped selling PPC Macs and over 2.5 years since they started selling Intel Macs. There just isn't much need for MS to put a lot of effort into the future of Silverlight on PPC Macs when they haven't been produced for a couple years.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy View Post

Lame...

Some version of this news on a different site said that 75% of Mac-using Netflix subscribers were on Intel based machines. Doesn't seem like much need to support a small percentage that will only get smaller in the future.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:

I didn't say they outnumber the Intel Mac installed base (I would think by now they would, but I don't know), but the percentage of PPC Macs to Intel Macs is clearly lowering everyday and it's been 2 years since Apple stopped selling PPC Macs and over 2.5 years since they started selling Intel Macs. There just isn't much need for MS to put a lot of effort into the future of Silverlight on PPC Macs when they haven't been produced for a couple years.

Yes, of course the percentage is diminishing, but I can only guess that the majority of Macs in use is still PPC based. Wouldn't extracting the relevant info from web traffic data be possible?.. maybe not. May only be able to tell if it's a Mac or a PC based on the browser.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, of course the percentage is diminishing, but I can only guess that the majority of Macs in use is still PPC based. Wouldn't extracting the relevant info from web traffic data be possible?.. maybe not. May only be able to tell if it's a Mac or a PC based on the browser.

This is the only statistical evidence I can find that shows a greater Intel presence over PPC Macs, and even that isn't conclusive as they seem to refer to PPC as just "Mac OS" while clearly referring to Intel-based Macs as "MacIntel". If we take it at face value, we see that Intel Macs have more than double the internet presence of PPC Macs.
    Anecdotally and looking at the surge in Mac sales since the switch, I don't see how their could possibly be more PPC-based Macs still in general use.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    Got a few questions for those of you who are using the netflix streaming service.

How is the selection? Can I watch all seasons of 24?

How is the sound quality?

What is the video quality? Full screen mode possible?

thanks
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

This is the only statistical evidence I can find that shows a greater Intel presence over PPC Macs, and even that isn't conclusive as they seem to refer to PPC as just "Mac OS" while clearly referring to Intel-based Macs as "MacIntel". If we take it at face value, we see that Intel Macs have more than double the internet presence of PPC Macs.
    Anecdotally and looking at the surge in Mac sales since the switch, I don't see how their could possibly be more PPC-based Macs still in general use.

Aha! Good find, Solipsism. Thanks.