Apple readying software patch for quirky MacBook trackpads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

My MacBook Pro has been working pretty good, it's the 2.4GHz one.

No trackpad click issue, in fact I'm head over heals for this new trackpad.

I isn't that Apple doesn't test, it's that manufacturers, even in the same board design, might use slightly different parts among factories or even within different time frames. Those variations in things like a transistor or resister can sometimes cause little quirks in the drivers & how they communicate with the hardware. Apple is likely updating drivers to deal with irregularities in some of the hardware to try & help reign in those variations.

Yeah, I would assume it would be something like that. My first PB was a lemon and broke almost immediately, then they replaced it with one that literally had no problems and is still running strong. But this one has even more problems that I am not complaining about, some of them surely are things just to get used to.

I'm hoping that I can return this one, possibly, for one that might be a bit less quirky. Otherwise, maybe I will wait a little while longer to get one.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Aplle are really starting to make some hardware mistakes... Its time to sell sell sell those shares I think!
  • Reply 23 of 31
    I too have a MacBookPro and the track pad is definitely the week spot of the entire system. I think the options that allow you to manipulate images and objects are interesting but doubt many of us need them. A problem that is driving me crazy is the trackpad with Safari. With Safari, if you keep a finer on the trackpad and then move another finder on it, it increases and decreases the size of the text on the webpage. It is driving me bonkers. Anyone know how to shut that off?

Hope the new update fixes the issues, or I guess I can just plug in my mouse.

Thanks!
  • Reply 24 of 31
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Is it that issue with the thumb-press? As in, try to press the button with the tip of your finger, does it register each time?

Probably been mentioned here but anyways, it seems if you have like the whole underside of your thumb on the trackpad when clicking it does not register it as a click.

Anyways, all the best to all, hope Apple resolves this issue soon.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I've had mine for a few days, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. The trackpad takes a little more force than it used to but it is much more intuitive, I find.

I hope Apple fixes this problem, though. It looks terrible to have a unique feature malfunctioning.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    I haven't noticed any trackpad problems on my new Macbook Pro (my first Mac). I did have a problem with my external display (A Samsung LCD TV via VGA) which would lose picture for about one second at random intervals. Apple says they're aware of this and a software fix will be released at some point. Hopefully soon!
  • Reply 27 of 31
    First off, I love the trackpad. They've really done a superb job with how your finger just glides on it almost frictionless. I'd never felt a trackpad like this one before.

I'm not noticing a problem with the physical click but then, I'm a "touch click" guy. I have noticed though, that the click and drag has issues. It works but there's a separate button for "drag lock". I don't have it set but the click and drag keeps doing the drag lock thing. I like the feature but had to turn it off because it kept locking and annoying the heck out of me.

Anyone else notice this?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    I love the new design of the track pad, its large area and innovative button sets it apart.

But I am experiencing some problems with it, at times the trackpad is not even registering the movement of my fingers.

The clicking has not been to much of a problem, just sometime when using the trackpad there is a lack of response. I can usually resolve this my reposition my finger and pushing harder, but its still annoying...
  • Reply 29 of 31
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Actually, I am experiencing one problem with the trackpad, that it does not accept two-finger scrolling. All of the other Multi-touch features work perfectly, even two-finger secondary clicking.

Otherwise, I like the trackpad and the glossy has only given me problems in a tunnel on a train.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

Actually, I am experiencing one problem with the trackpad, that it does not accept two-finger scrolling. All of the other Multi-touch features work perfectly, even two-finger secondary clicking.

Otherwise, I like the trackpad and the glossy has only given me problems in a tunnel on a train.

Did you by any chance migrate your old preferences to your new MacBook from a PPC architecture machine, an iBook or PowerBook for instance? If so, it will bork some of your trackpad functions. Reinstalling the default preferences in your Library should fix it. You can grab them from the install disc. I am pretty sure that if you just rename the current folder and then reboot, that will fix it as well. If you are uncomfortable with that, make and appointment with a Mac Genius and they'll do it for you. This is a known issue, its been all over the Global Network of Computers for a couple of weeks now. I had the same problem and after restoring the default prefs, problem solved.

Oh yeah, this was on my late 2008 13" MacBook (unibody).

KC
  • Reply 31 of 31
    I have an MBA rev 1 and a Unibody Macbook Pro. The MBA trackpad was and is amazing. The Macbook Pro trackpad is good also. I find myself trying to press the trackpad down on the air, and miss the two tap right click on the Pro (biazzarely I get right click if I tap three fingers and press the trackpad down). However, I cant see any technical reason why the Macbook Pro cant two finger tap (it already double single taps like the MBA).