iPhone 2.2 screenshots reveal direct podcast download interface

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2019
A series of screenshots from Apple's latest iPhone 2.2 beta have leaked on the web, revealing a new interface for downloading podcasts over wireless networks and a more polished version of the handset's App Store application.

Direct Podcast Downloads

The screenshots, published by the German-langue blog Flo's Weblog, appear to confirm reports that the next software update for the iPhone will allow users to grab podcasts from the mobile iTunes Store over the handset's 3G connection.

A report published late last month had suggested this would be the case, but the feature was said to be non-functional at the time. The series of screenshots, republished below, reveals the interface flow for direct podcast downloads.

According to the report, Apple will initially limit direct downloads to podcasts 10MB in size or less. It's unclear, however, whether the feature will be restricted to iPhones on a 3G connection or if downloads can also be performed over an EDGE network.

Patent example

App Store Categories

In addition, the same report tosses in a screen captures that reveals upcoming interface change to the App Store application that's expected to ship as part of iPhone Software 2.2.

The change, first detailed by AppleInsider back in September, is rather uneventful, consisting of a new categories home page that will feature large category icons and more generous spacing between each listing, rather than just narrow textual category representations.

Unlike builds of the software available in September, the latest betas reveal the new icons Apple may have chosen to use for its category listing (though they appear to be icons for third-party Apps at present). Previously, blank placeholders would display.

App Store Changes
iPhone Software v2.1 (left) compared to iPhone Software v2.2 (right).

Expected iPhone 2.2 features

Readers looking to keep up on changes due as part of iPhone Software 2.2 can do so by reviewing AppleInsider's iPhone Software 2.2 topics page (RSS also available), which groups together all previous reports on the subject. A general list of feature additions are as follows:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    Looking forward to Direct PodCast Download......

I only get a chance to sync my iPhone once a week or so.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Safari crashes a dozen times a day. It's very very very annoying. Come on Apple, I'm sick of the Windows experience with this: fix it.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    I guess Apple doesn't give a crap about Safari crashing constantly. It's the worst app on the iPhone right now. Soon as you use the zoom feature on Safari, crash, crash, crash.

No Push either... no real useful updates like copy and past, sync Notes/ToDo....
  • Reply 4 of 72
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    It's a pretty useless feature if it's limited to 10MB OTA. None of the podcasts I listen to are under 30MB an episode.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I guess Apple doesn't give a crap about Safari crashing constantly. ...

Never crashes for me.

I don't like those icons for the categories though.

Why emphasise the lightweight character of some mobile games by writing "Lite" on the icon? Same goes for the "Mini" word on the music icon.

Isn't it a violation of good UI guidelines on any OS to put words on icons anyway? Even more so when the verbal description for the icon is right beside it.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I guess Apple doesn't give a crap about Safari crashing constantly. It's the worst app on the iPhone right now. Soon as you use the zoom feature on Safari, crash, crash, crash.

No Push either... no real useful updates like copy and past, sync Notes/ToDo....

My Safari rarely crashes, even when I zoom in and out.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    So why did the screen shots blur out the network being used? What's the big deal about hiding the network?
  • Reply 8 of 72
    Hey I just noticed something!

If you can access podcast downloads from within the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store and download on a 3G network, doesn't that mean that 3G music downloads are possible in this update too? I mean, you can't even launch iTunes Wi-Fi unless your on a Wi-Fi network now.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Those category icons have NOT been chosen or designed by Apple.

If you look in the app store you will see that those icons are from actual applications.

Either the icons will randomly change between different apps in the category or Apple has still yet to finish creating it's own ones.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    Was really looking forward to the direct podcast download. But as someone stated earlier, not ONE of my podcasts is under 10MB (most are at the 60-80MB level, as they are daily radio shows). Guess I have to sit this one out.

No real hate against Safari, but wish we could throw something like Firefox on there for the extensions. Would love to be able to sync my bookmarks wirelessly without .mac subscription. I sync my Touch about once a week, but my bookmarks change at least once a day. Grrr.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

So why did the screen shots blur out the network being used? What's the big deal about hiding the network?

For real! There's a bunch of screenshots in the app store that are using networks like T-Mobile. Why blur it out here? Are they scared or something?
  • Reply 12 of 72
    What is the little progres icon at the top right of this window?

p.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kt0157 View Post

Safari crashes a dozen times a day. It's very very very annoying. Come on Apple, I'm sick of the Windows experience with this: fix it.

Agreed!
  • Reply 14 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    10MB is just over 20 minutes of audio at 64kbps. A lot of podcasts are doable if they are short or divide long shows into independent story clips. Video is about two minutes at 700kbps, the clips I have are encoded at 320x240 res, and the motion is fairly slow and easy to predict with motion compensation, if the codec in question supports that decently. Compress too much farther, and anything more than minimal motion might just become a mess.
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Why does Apple give us things THEY WANT, rather than things WE NEED?
  • Reply 16 of 72
    Quote:

Try doing a reset. My phone frequently gets to the point where Safari crashes EVERY TIME I use it. I got an error message on another app (can't remember which one) which said something like memory running low, press and hold power button to reset. Seemed to help the Safari situation too.

Is there some sort of memory leak or something on iPhone?
  • Reply 17 of 72
    Steve,

Please, cut and paste. No really, cut and paste..PLEASE!
  • Reply 18 of 72
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Does Safari crash on the iPod Touch as well. Is this a 3G thing only?
  • Reply 19 of 72
    Why are they even working on this. Some Devs already had this program working. Please add cut and paste, MMS, and fix Safari.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    I've been testing this beta, and instead of downloading you can stream directly the video or audio podcast just by selecting them from the iTunes app instead of downloading them first. It works great.