AT&T says official iPhone 3G tethering plan coming "soon"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonyo View Post

I think the idea of paying for tethering is lame. I already pay for my data plan, I should be able to use it however I want! If there were a third party solution for this, AT&T woulnd't even know I'm tethering, and it would just look like a lot of data going in and out of my iphone. Too much data for your 3G network to handle? Too bad, bring the level of service up to something reasonable un-sucky and maybe I'll give a damn about that aspect. I would love to tether my iphone to my MB Pro for wifi-less laptop internet wherever, but there's no way I'm paying them a thin dime for it. Do jailbroken iphones already have a solution for this by chance? My iphone is not jailbroken, but I might look into it if it'll get me free tethering over the existing data connection I already OVERpay for.

The costs of a data plan for a computer is $60 for 5GB so tethering costs the same but you use your phone instead of a separate card. Based on they your getting a better deal with the phone.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Enable develop in system preferences for Safari, select it and then select user agent iPhone and you should be able to use it. I haven't tried it.

I'm still using NetShare and overall,love it. If Apple releases a larger 7 inch iPod touch kind of device I'd pay for a tethering plan that could connect as NetShare probably won't, something similar to WMWiFiRouter but unless Apple releases that type of device NetShare is good enough for me.

* I meant to post this in reply to wprowe in response to free ATT wifi.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jongleur View Post

What?!!!! Pay an extra fee to use the data component you've already paid for?

But it's Patriotic to pay a little more, after all, this is the time for you to spread your wealth around! - Obama/Biden '08 -
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Tethering is such a stupid name. It's called using your phone as a modem, or accessing the internet via your phone or anything but tethering.

This issue is an example of why I'm sticking to Nokia phones (looking forward to the N85). For functions I actually want to use my phone phone such as internet access, Apple won't let me do it, even if I'm using a carrier that doesn't care, and that would require me to buy an unlocked iPhone anyway.

Apple have gone way too far with their control issues. They need to free up the iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

I think the idea of paying for tethering is lame. I already pay for my data plan, I should be able to use it however I want!

I agree with you. Whether a carrier calls their smartphone data plan unlimited or sets a limit with overage rate per KB or MB it shouldn't make a difference if the user tethers on the same data plan.

Quote:

If there were a third party solution for this, AT&T woulnd't even know I'm tethering, and it would just look like a lot of data going in and out of my iphone.

You're correct as the call log would show the same IMEI with SIM card number, not the SIM card being used with a different IMEI such as a laptop data card.

Quote:

I would love to tether my iphone to my MB Pro for wifi-less laptop internet wherever, but there's no way I'm paying them a thin dime for it. Do jailbroken iphones already have a solution for this by chance?

Most smartphones allow the user to tether the phone to their laptop wirelessly to access the internet via the phone. Unfortunately AT&T believes charging their customers to use this feature should be something their customers would like. PDANet is a free tethering app available to jailbroken iPhones via the Cydia installer. There's also another app called iPhone Modem from the same Cydia installer.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Bottom line, I don't expect tethering to be free. They sold you a contract for your phone, not your computer.

They sold you a pipe to transfer bits, a bit is a bit no matter where it originated.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What laptop doesn't already have WiFi?

That's not what he's saying. He wants to be able to use Wi-Fi on his laptop for free at all the places that now offer free iPhone access for free (i.e. Starbucks and since AT&T bought Wayport yesterday that number is now going to be over 20,000 US locations).
  • Reply 28 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

That's not what he's saying. He wants to be able to use Wi-Fi on his laptop for free at all the places that now offer free iPhone access for free (i.e. Starbucks and since AT&T bought Wayport yesterday that number is now going to be over 20,000 US locations).

So far, the data points to AT&T sending your iPhone an SMS, but I see nothing that will let AT&T determine the source. If you put in the secure web address into your laptop's web browser it may work. You may not even have to change the User Agent.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So far, the data points to AT&T sending your iPhone an SMS, but I see nothing that will let AT&T determine the source. If you put in the secure web address into your laptop's web browser it may work. You may not even have to change the User Agent.

Could you explain this in more detail. What would I need to do to get my laptop to connect to the AT&T hotspot?
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tipton View Post

Could you explain this in more detail. What would I need to do to get my laptop to connect to the AT&T hotspot?

I don't know yet. AT&T said that when you log into an AT&T hotspot, you put in your iPhone number. AT&T then sends a free SMS to your iPhone with a special web address that will authenticate you for 24 hours.

It's unknown at this point if you can use that web address on a laptop web browser without any changes. If you'll need to change the User Agent to iPhone first. If you'll need to spoof your iPhone's WiFi MAC address first. Or some other tactic.

My personal feelings about AT&T leads me to think that they won't go to all that trouble.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I apologize for the naive question but would the iPhone still function as a normal phone/gps etc while it is tethered? I have a 3G Sierra card for my MBP with unlimited data from AT&T so I don't really need tethering but I was just curious. I think I pay roughly $75 a month for the MBP's data plan and the about the same for the iPhone's plan.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Rather than bend over and take it from AT&T, I'll just keep my $60/month Sprint EVDO card and completely eschew the iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Why does this require AT&T approval? AT&T doesn't own Apple so they shouldn't have any say whether Apple allows the iPhone to tether or not. Several international carriers already allow tethering with their smartphone data plans including those for the iPhone 3G. Also don't let AT&T fool any of those who are AT&T subscribers into believing they are doing something to benefit their customers. They are simply attempting to profit on ideas already developed by other developers some of which don't charge for their tethering apps (ie: PDANet, etc) and will convince their customers they need to pay more for a special tethering data plan even though they advertised the iPhone data plan as unlimited data. At least here in Canada Rogers states exactly how much data is alloted to a specific plan so it's up to the customer to decide which plan would be best for them if they are going to tether. Rogers was also confused as to why Apple pulled Nullrivers NetShare tethering app from the Canadian App Store instead of just blocking the tethering app from the USA App Store which is used by AT&T subscribers. Especially considering that Rogers sells other competitor products such as RIM Blackberry line which allow tethering and are in direct competition with the iPhone 3G. Apple needs to stop the idiotic censorship of useful apps and start letting the global market decide.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoC View Post

Whereupon I said "My Verizon cell data connection stays around 1 GB/sec in the same area, and it NEVER drops out, not even once."

The ATT people just stopped talking at that point, and obviously wanted me out of their store and out of earshot of customers listening to me.

BoC

Bullsh!t. There is no mainstream wireless connection on a cell phone at 1 GB/sec. Do you have idea how much that costs with dedicated hardware and antennas?

Now wonder the ATT people wanted you out of the store, you don't even know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Bullsh!t. There is no mainstream wireless connection on a cell phone at 1 GB/sec. Do you have idea how much that costs with dedicated hardware and antennas?

Now wonder the ATT people wanted you out of the store, you don't even know what you're talking about.

He probably meant 1Gbps, which is something I easily get on my AT&T iPhone and and my 3G USB AT&T card. Even up to 1.5Mbps.