Usb 3.0 ...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi

I just read this on engadget, USB 3.0 specs will be released on Nov 17th.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/06/u...ed-this-month/

So when will we see this integrated into laptops and desktops? Any Ideas? Also will this require new internals?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I don't know when but I hope it's soon. This being because they already have eliminated firewire from the Macbook line and was and is non-existent from the MBA line Maybe, they are banking on the new higher speed of USB 3.0 in their next revision. Implement into the new high end Mac Pro perhaps?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Probably late 2009.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    A few articles have said spec in November and products in early 2009. I think people will be jumping on this pretty quickly once the full spec is out. If USB3 devices can be used with USB2 ports then it will be adopted very easily. USB2 devices can be used on USB3 ports but I haven't seen info about forwards compatibility.

Nobody likes to upgrade a machine just to use a device. I for one hope that the Mac desktop delay had something to do with this. One of the models had to get USB3 first and it's unlikely that the laptops would have gotten USB3 before the Mac Pro.

Due to the update cycle of the Mac Pro, it would make sense to get support in at the beginning of the year. What could happen though is that the iMacs and Mini are updated without USB3 for MW in January and then the Mac Pro ships later on with the Gainestown server chips and USB3. Then USB3 gets into the consumer machines on the next cycle.

It will be a bit disappointing if that's the case as it will probably mean a Mini with just 4 x USB2 ports and no firewire.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keantan View Post

I don't know when but I hope it's soon. ...

Seeing as how no shipping Mac has USB 3.0, exactly how does this help you?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

USB2 devices can be used on USB3 ports but I haven't seen info about forwards compatibility.

From Wikipedia: USB Article:

Quote:

The connector will be divided into two parts. The first part is the USB 2.0 four-wire version with UTP data pair and power with ground. The second part will have five connections: two UTP lane (one is uplink and one is downlink) and a ground. An optical connector and cable will be available in the future..

I would take that to mean that USB 3.0 devices will not work with USB 1.1 and 2.0. Yet perhaps they will allow USB 3.0 devices to work on USB 1.1 and 2.0 but with reduced throughput.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    again they change hardware standart =(, progress is not necessary on a ground, it's good... but how i hate change hardware, whan change standarts =(
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Seeing as how no shipping Mac has USB 3.0, exactly how does this help you?

Since Apple seems to be retiring firewire from their line up, I am looking for a fast alternative. Sure there is eSATA but I haven't got any devices that support it. At least USB 3.0 is rumoured to be backward compatible with 2.0 and 1.1, but this remains to be seen.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

From Wikipedia: USB Article:

I would take that to mean that USB 3.0 devices will not work with USB 1.1 and 2.0. Yet perhaps they will allow USB 3.0 devices to work on USB 1.1 and 2.0 but with reduced throughput.

I don't know where you are getting that idea. All of the images I have seen of the USB 3 plug have it fitting in to the USB 2 receptacle, but having 5 more pins (on the front edge, so they don't interfere with the USB 2 pins). And I would fully expect that USB 3 devices will be able to dial-back and just use the old pins in USB 2 mode. There might be some devices that will not be able to get enough power from USB 2 as I seem to remember that USB 3 will optionally provide more power (I have a vague memory, but no source).

The interesting thing is that they don't seem to have beaten FireWire 800 by much (if anything in real-world speeds), and will probably trail FireWire 1600 to market by 6 months or more. And I still haven't heard anything about USB 3 handling any of the issues that make USB 2 such a bad choice for audio.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keantan View Post

Since Apple seems to be retiring firewire from their line up, I am looking for a fast alternative. Sure there is eSATA but I haven't got any devices that support it. At least USB 3.0 is rumoured to be backward compatible with 2.0 and 1.1, but this remains to be seen.

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible. Apple is not retiring Firewire from their lineup.