Apple delays entry MacBook Air till after Thanksgiving

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is apologizing to customers this week who had placed orders for its new entry-level NVIDIA-based MacBook Airs, explaining that due to an unforeseen issue, it's unlikely to deliver those systems until shortly after the Thanksgiving holiday.

"Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship your MacBook Air by the date

originally quoted to you," the company said in an email to several online store customers who were previously quoted ship times of November 5th and a delivery estimate of November 10th. "We now anticipate shipping the item by 11/24/08 and delivering by 11/29/08."

Apple apologized for the inconvenience and said customers may change or cancel their order anytime time before it's shipped.

The delay only appears to be affecting the entry-level 1.6GHz model with a 120GB SATA hard drive. The company has been actively shipping the 1.86GHz model with 128GB solid-state drive since late last month, will several customer orders arriving about a week earlier than anticipate.

A quick investigation into the matter reveals the hold-up is a direct result of either component or supply chain issues surrounding the 1.6GHz model's standard 120GB SATA hard drive.

The Apple Online Store is reflecting lead times of only 3 - 5 days for the 1.86GHz model with its built-in solid state drive, but 2 - 3 weeks for the 1.6GHz Air with standard hard disk drive. However, selecting a 1.6GHz model and choosing the$500.00 upgrade to a 128GB Solid State Drive drops the lead time from 2 - 3 weeks to 3 - 5 days, essentially isolating hard drive as the source of the delay.

Unfortunately, the MacBook Air isn't the only Apple notebook whose shipments are being delayed due to hard drive components. AppleInsider readers note that the $50 option to upgrade the new MacBook Pro's hard drive to a 320GB Serial ATA @ 7200 increases lead times from 1 - 3 days to 5 to 7 days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I guess they want to make sure that they don't lay a turkey with this new MacBook Air.

<Bada-bump>

Thank you. Thank you. Shows at 9 and 11, folks.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Fadell, weak iPhone demand, no pre Xmas updates, the trackpad glitch, lawsuits -- not a good news week for AAPL.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    I don't see this as that bad of news. I mean really only 5 people, 10 tops, are having to wait for this.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I guess they want to make sure that they don't lay a turkey with this new MacBook Air.

<Bada-bump>

Thank you. Thank you. Shows at 9 and 11, folks.

I guess it's funny that you don't know that the saying is "lay an egg"?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I think you meant "...'til after Thanksgiving." :-)
  • Reply 6 of 16
    iPhone demand probably paused during the panic weeks of the stock market. It's now relatively stable. Also, the election is over and the markets like certainty. The fact that Obama won is a positive to the tech sector (think net neutrality, for example), and especially Google and Apple. It takes power away from the telecoms.

I'm not saying the iPhone will sell as if the economy was normal. It won't. But it is a hugely compelling product thanks to the app store. It went from a nice phone with an iPod to a portable computer with GPS. We've only begun to see the potential of this thing.

AAPL should be fine so long as Steve is in good health.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    that makes sense, I just ordered a $2499 15" MBP with a 250GB hard drive instead of the 320GB (I already have a 320 7200 RPM anyways) and it knocked my order to 3-5 days shipping... Now I gotta wait two extra days...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Fadell, weak iPhone demand, no pre Xmas updates, the trackpad glitch, lawsuits -- not a good news week for AAPL.

Aren't you overstating some of these things? I mean WTF.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke View Post

that makes sense, I just ordered a $2499 15" MBP with a 250GB hard drive instead of the 320GB (I already have a 320 7200 RPM anyways) and it knocked my order to 3-5 days shipping... Now I gotta wait two extra days...

I think Apple in general have pushed back estimated shipping dates.

My CTO MBA was supposed to be shipped today (1.60GHz/128GB SSD) and that's been knocked back to 3-5 business days. The computer can't come soon enough, been needing a laptop to carry around for a long time, can't get a lot of work done without it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    This, coupled with other problems could be one other reason why apple has held off on any other updates before the end of the year.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Aren't you overstating some of these things? I mean WTF.

I'm simply recapping the news. I don't even know how accurate it is. The USB analyst has a terrible track record. But it IS bad news. That's what I'm commenting on.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Don't they use the same HHD in the Air as they do in the iPod Classic? Maybe the Classic is selling better than expected and the Air has to wait for more component HHDs to get assembled? Just speculating with no data but optimism, lol.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    This could be due to overseas shipping issues. The shipping industry is having *major* problems because of the credit crisis, but the story hasn't gotten much mainstream media attention. If you're interested:

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2008/...up-due-to.html

http://www.fundmymutualfund.com/2008...reek-debt.html
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is apologizing to customers this week ...

Where's the apology ?

I haven't heard anything from Apple.

• Reply 15 of 16
    Ordered 1.8 128 SSD on 10/24 from Macmall and was originally told I would not get it until 11/15. I called today and they said it went out today and would have it Monday, 11/10.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    The Apple Store is still showing 2-3 weeks delivery time as of 11/25. Is this just due to backlog, or are things no further along than they were 3 weeks ago?