Will Jaguar cost us?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was quite sure that Apple wouldn't charge for Jaguar, but now that it's been announced a few things make me think Apple is going to charge for it:

1. Jobs keeps calling it "Jaguar", rather than "10.2". It seems like he's avoiding the number issue, either because Apple hasn't decided yet, or because he wants people to focus on the new features and not the PRICE.

2. It's not going to be out until September. What's that...a full year after 10.1? That's a long time between free updates, and is more typical of updates that Apple has charged for in the past.

3. The feature set. Jaguar is more than a bug fix, it's loaded with features that are new to OS X, and to any Mac OS (it doesn't simply bring OS X up to feature parity with OS 9). Some things should have been in OS X from the beginning, like Quartz Extreme, but it's hard to argue that features like inkwell, sherlock 3, rendevouz, and iChat all should have been in OS X from the beginning.

Thus it seems that Apple is going to charge for this update. The question is, how much? What did Apple charge for the update from OS 8.6 to OS 9.0? $99? If so, then I suspect Jaguar is going to cost $99-$129.

Not that I'm complaining, I think a case can be made that this update of OS X will be worth the upgrade price. It's a big leap over 10.1, and it's a SURE THING that Jaguar will render all discussion about performance moot.

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: Junkyard Dawg ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I would have to say it will be anywhere between $99 and $119.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'd bet it'll be about $100, possibly with some kind of upgrade discount or something to appear as incentive to get it sooner than later.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Good lord-if Apple charges us $100 after having us pay $129 for an OS that really wasn't ready for primetime I will be pissed! You guys must be rich or something, because charging us more than $20 for what amounts to what 10.1 SHOULD have been would be ludicrous. Is Apple owned by Microsoft all of a sudden?

Not only that, but many of us who bought their G4s within the last year have to go out and buy new video cards.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Steve666, I'm not rich and I may not be able to afford the Jaguar update right off. I agree that there are good reasons for Apple to make this update free, but I think there are also some reasonable arguments to be made for Apple charging for this update.

I think Quartz Extreme should be a free update for sure. It's some bad-ass technology, but all it does is bring OS X's GUI up to speed with OS 9's. That's something Apple owes us.

But does Apple REALLY owe us enhancements like Sherlock 3, Rendevouz, Inkwell, and iChat? Hard to say. I personally think this update should be free, but I don't believe Apple would agree, and I can see their point.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Good lord-if Apple charges us $100 after having us pay $129 for an OS that really wasn't ready for primetime I will be pissed! You guys must be rich or something, because charging us more than $20 for what amounts to what 10.1 SHOULD have been would be ludicrous. Is Apple owned by Microsoft all of a sudden?

Not only that, but many of us who bought their G4s within the last year have to go out and buy new video cards.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're right that Apple shouldn't have charged us $129 for 10.0, but seriously this is a big update.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    apple will charge.

what I don't know

49-69 seems like the best choice they could make. at that pricepoint they'll be getting significant revenue and won't piss everyone off.

99 bucks is going to piss people off and isn't neccessary
  • Reply 7 of 39
    [quote] 49-69 seems like the best choice they could make. at that pricepoint they'll be getting significant revenue and won't piss everyone off.

<hr></blockquote>

I hope you're right, Applenut. That would be a fair upgrade price.

Has Apple ever charged this amount for a previous upgrade?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    With all the new features announced today, I have no doubt that Apple will charge for Jaguar. My hunch is that Jaguar will be 10.5 and not 10.2 and that they'll charge full price ($130) for the whole thing, but reduce the price for people who paid full price for 10.1. I fear that those who paid full price for 10.0 and got the 10.1 update for free will have to pay the full price. I'm justs glad I have another year in grad school to take advantage of educational pricing.

I'm pissed that Quartz Extreme will not be supported on my iBook. But I only use it for Word, E-mail and web, so I will survive. Looks like I will really have to replace my Rev.A iMac though. PowerMac with Studio Display here I come!

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Sorry guys, but even Microbloat doesn't make customers pay in between OS's. Apple is constantly upgrading their OS, which is fine, but every few months expecting us to pay more than $20 isn't right. I'll pay $20 gladly-anything more than $40 would be crazy. .........................
  • Reply 10 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Apple will bring down the MSRP of OS X to $99 and that will be Jaguar's sale price. This is entirely reasonably considering people that upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional had to pay $199 just for Windows XP Professional "Upgrade."
  • Reply 11 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Apple will bring down the MSRP of OS X to $99 and that will be Jaguar's sale price. This is entirely reasonably considering people that upgraded to Windows 2000 Professional had to pay $199 just for Windows XP Professional "Upgrade."</strong><hr></blockquote>

please don't justify apple's possible actions by comparing them with what Microsoft does or did.

1.) it's extremely lame

2.) it means shit
  • Reply 12 of 39
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    I'm guessing $129 and I'll be near the front of the line since my system can handle all the new features. If it couldn't, then I might have second thoughts. Always remember, Apple is a corporation, not a charitable non-profit. If they have a product they think is good enough to sell, they'll sell it. All things considered, they're doing very well with OS X, considering that the Public Beta was an alpha and 10.0.4 was the real beta. I just hope 10.2 is snappier.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    mediamanmediaman Posts: 169member
    I believe it will be a full price upgrade (the same price as the old 'Boxed' OS9 upgrades)

It would be nice of Apple to give the people who got the Public Beta a discount as an award for 'The long slog' and as a mark that the OS has finally sort of 'finished'.

it will more than likely be called 10.2, remember Apple has got OSX as a brand and doing a 10.5 so soon means that we would be at 11.0 by the end of next year and have just 'pissed away' all that brand ID.

IMHO I think it could be called MacOS TEN (X) version 2. That way Apple can keep the OSX thing forever and just up the version numbers.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

please don't justify apple's possible actions by comparing them with what Microsoft does or did.

1.) it's extremely lame

2.) it means shit</strong><hr></blockquote>

Such is business. Sorry for that. Don't forget that this is what Apple has charge users for significant upgrades since OS 8. So you have both a comparative measure within Apple and within the industry.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    I hope after Jaguar is out I never have to read another post that uses the word "snappy"
  • Reply 16 of 39
    I got a card (via snailmail, not iCard) asking me to upgrade to the latest OS X. I don't know why especially since it seems no one else did, but the card basically insinuates that I have to pay.

To be honest, even though Apple's been sleazy lately in making people pay for what, up until 10.1, has been beta software, I still have to kind of agree that it's fair that Apple is charging. Everyone wants things cheaper for everything Apple, but really Apple's one of two computer company's who's not selling in the habbit of their souls to cheap customers and actually made a profit during the recession. Plus, even w/o the Aqua Extreme, Jaguar'll still probably be speedier--since it can't take 8 months to make a brushy but less buggy interface for AIM alone--from other system enhancements. Maybe it won't take me 10 minutes to scroll through my MP3 folder this time around;

Anyway, not that it makes a difference because it looks to be beautiful regardless, I think it's still just gonna be 10.2--I think their using the name Jaguar to make it seem larger w/o having to sacrifice .2-.4, and so they can more easily have their way with our credit cards ;D.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    macgpmacgp Posts: 88member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

1.) it's extremely lame

2.) it means shit</strong><hr></blockquote>

Haha, nice
  • Reply 18 of 39
    You guys crack me up. You're so eager to open your wallet to Apple i can see why some people think its a cult. I can't believe you expect other folks to be eager to shell out another $100 or so after just having paid that. What are those upgrade coupons I got with 10.1 for?.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    codewarriorcodewarrior Posts: 196member
    It will be a paid upgrade. Let's see why: lots of new stuff PLUS MPEG-4 and AAC decoders cost Apple money in QuickTime 6. (Encoders are paid for by QuickTime 6 Pro and Final Cut Pro). QuickTime will be in this update.

This is a fact of life now with Apple. Yearly updates will be paid for. R&D expenses are going up. They have to be paid for. I'm not thrilled at the prospect, but neither am I pissed about it.

If you are a student, get the student ADC membership for $99. You get the updates for free (plus other good stuff). If you aren't a student, take a class and get the student ADC subscription. Either you pay for the update or don't update (or you Rip, Mix, and Burn your own copy).

Maybe Apple should look at charging a yearly subscription fee and send all the updates for no extra charge.

I wish Apple was a monopoly and could give away free updates. Of course you would have to pay for MP3 encoding and DVD playback like you do with XP.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    seems like we have to use the three coupons that come with the new imac