Recommendations for wifi printers..... PLEASE!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yep. I've got a MacBook Pro, and then I've also got 2 other Windows XP laptops. I'm looking for a wireless wifi printer that I'll be able to use with all 3 notebooks. I want something that also scans and copies. I don't care about fax. Also trying to stay below $150.

Perhaps you guys could send some recommendations this way. Looking at Epson 700 and Kodak ESP 7. All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    HP C7280... I think I even got it with a discount from Apple when I bought a Mini.

The wireless works flawlessly for me with my Macs... for all functions. I've not tried it with Windows.

Gives decent output, though I don't print with it all that often... only when I need color. (I've a Samsung laser printer I use for every-day B&W printing.)
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    go to pcworld.com and look at their reviews. Also CNET does reviews on these kinds of things
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I have the Brother HL-5280DW Laser Printer and the HP Photosmart C6150 All- in one Color Ink Jet .

Both are wireless and work great on our Apple Home Network.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Buy an Airport Extreme Base Station or Airport Express and you can print wirelessly with on nearly any printer. I have an Epson that operates well with the Airport Express.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

Buy an Airport Extreme Base Station or Airport Express and you can print wirelessly with on nearly any printer. I have an Epson that operates well with the Airport Express.

I have to agree, it would set you a little over your budget but you should be able to pick up a G airport from macmall or similar and stay close. I have used wireless printing to an airport for years and have never had a problem. It also gives you a little more flexibility in the future.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Curiosity... if you have a multi-function, will it scan and fax over the Airport printer connection ???
  • Reply 7 of 14
    No, it will only print. That is a good point, if you are looking that functionality you need to find one with built-in wireless.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

This would assume that your airport is near your printer, which may not be the case
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I've already got an airport 802.11n extreme and have used it before with one of my other printers but had a lot of problems trying to get all of my computers to share it. Also, now that my room has been moved around, the Airport is nowhere near the printer area.

However, yesterday I went out to Best Buy and got an Epson Workforce 600 with the built in wifi and other goodies. I wanted the Artisan 700 but its nowhere to be found. Oh well. I would have to give this Epson Workforce 600 a 4.9 out of 5. It would be nearly perfect if the setup instructions were simpler.

--Example. While setting it up for networking(connection from printer to laptop via ethernet) they DO NOT tell you that you need to turn off your wireless connection on the laptop in order for the printer to obtain and IP address. Took me a few minutes to figure it out on my own. Secondly, they don't tell you that you need to turn it back on in the final steps in order to complete the setup process and connect to the printer. Oh well. Took a total of 20min or so to setup with my MacBook Pro and an additional 10min for each of the Windows XP laptops.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I've already got an airport 802.11n extreme and have used it before with one of my other printers but had a lot of problems trying to get all of my computers to share it...

I don't know if it's still necessary, but Apple used to have a free download somewhere for Windows, that made "Bonjour" work properly with Windows over a network. It was necessary to get that functionality to work properly between an Airport printer and Windows.

I had all sorts of trouble getting XP to consistently find/recognize the printer until i found that little utility (don't remember what it was called, but it was Apple software... has worked flawlessly for a couple years now since that was installed on the XP machine.

Maybe it's "built-in" to the latest updates to windows, maybe it's still necessary.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    I'm interested in a wireless printer option without having to get any extras such as AirPort Extreme/Express.

However, the last time I looked at the box of an Epson printer I was shocked to see that the fine print was full of warnings like 'feature xxx does not function under OS X', 'feature xxx runs under Rosetta', 'xxx software is PC only' etc.

If anyone has a modern Epson wireless printer please report on the support of the printer's functions under OSX.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avon B7 View Post

I'm interested in a wireless printer option without having to get any extras such as AirPort Extreme/Express.

However, the last time I looked at the box of an Epson printer I was shocked to see that the fine print was full of warnings like 'feature xxx does not function under OS X', 'feature xxx runs under Rosetta', 'xxx software is PC only' etc.

If anyone has a modern Epson wireless printer please report on the support of the printer's functions under OSX.

Works about 90% with OSX. The ONLY thing that I cannot get it to do is wirelessly SCAN something and send it wirelessly back to my MBP. Works on the girlfriends XP though. Other than that, this is absolutely amazing. Especially when printing photos! PROFESSIONAL quality!!

I love this and would recommend it to anybody.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    I can't compare output quality to your Epson, but my HP will scan wirelessly to a Mac.

ALL features of the printer work wirelessly.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I have the Epson Artisan 700. It works amazing. Wireless printing, scanning and copying too. Amazing prints. The scanning feature is pretty fast and you can have the scans wirelessly saved as jpegs, pdf's etc right to your computer. You cant go wrong. I love the internal paper trays too. You wont be disappointed if you get the Artisan 700.