Windows 7 "Snap" features available on Mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited December 2014
I was wondering if there were any apps/hacks out there that *I can't believe I'm saying this* give similar "window Snapping" functionality that Windows 7 offers?

I'm quite jealous of this feature.

Edit:

This is what I'm referring to --> http://lifehacker.com/5077728/snap-a...e-in-windows-7

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by compulsiveguile View Post

I'm quite jealous of this feature.

Really? I thought it was one of the most useless features I've ever seen. It's almost like they didn't want to do something like spaces to avoid being seen as directly copying features in OS X.

I suppose it allows the whole non-overlapping windows setup but few people have higher than 1680 x 1050 resolution. A half-sized box gives you something like an 800 oixel wide box, which is almost unusable for anything.

What practical use for this did you have in mind?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Really? I thought it was one of the most useless features I've ever seen. It's almost like they didn't want to do something like spaces to avoid being seen as directly copying features in OS X.

I suppose it allows the whole non-overlapping windows setup but few people have higher than 1680 x 1050 resolution. A half-sized box gives you something like an 800 oixel wide box, which is almost unusable for anything.

What practical use for this did you have in mind?

Okay, perhaps "quite jealous" is a little of an overstatement. I was more interested in the fit to full screen feature (yes, I know the usefulness of that can be argued as well).

I still think the half-sized box would be of some use on a widescreen monitor when wanting to do things such as compare two web-pages side-by-side.

Plus, I want to be ready to tell my Windows using friends that I can do that too
  • Reply 3 of 42
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    There are some useful cases for this. I'd actually like something like that that is designed around the OS X mindset rather than the Windows mindset.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Spaces actually deals with a different problem domain (applications on different desktops vs. applications on the same desktop).

Actually this is one of the more interesting interface additions of Windows 7. It's simple yet useful, especially having to windows take up 50 percent of the screen window, a feature I'd probably use daily. I'm ambivalent about the maximize functionality since Windows had this since the coming of Christ ([beating dead horse]something I'm still waiting on OSX *sigh*[/beating dead horse]). Still, it offers an additional way to achieve the same goal in a possibly easier way. Dragging a window to the upper screen border is likely easier than trying to hit the maximize button. *shrug*
  • Reply 5 of 42
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    It's funny - for years now Windows users have been complaining that on the Mac you can't full-screen a window so it covers all other apps.

Now Microsoft seems to be saying is that users should actually be working with more than one window at once instead.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

It's funny - for years now Windows users have been complaining that on the Mac you can't full-screen a window so it covers all other apps.

Now Microsoft seems to be saying is that users should actually be working with more than one window at once instead.

The ironic thing is that every Windows buff I talk to is ecstatic about this new feature too. One guy in particular HATES not having a window fullscreen, then comes to me absolutely gloating with this new feature in his Windows 7 beta build. Saying "I bet OS X can't do "this!" ...

I'm sitting there going "Why would I "want" my window to auto snap to a different size when I drag it to the edge? I have like 4 or 5 working windows open already. I don't want the OS auto-covering them..."

Yet another half-baked idea in my opinion.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Yeah, I don't really see why it would be useful for windows to do this to be honest.

Just as 99% of the time I don't want one window covering the entire screen, neither do I want just one window covering 50% of the screen.

If I want to do side-by-side comparisons I'd rather both documents open in a single window, using say, a window splitter. Most text editing apps allow you to do this.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I'm feeling kinda heretical, and submit that Microsoft and Apple are fast approaching a local maximum in UI. They offer us more and more tools of increasing complexity to manage windows, but instead they might want to re-examine the assumption that it's a good use of the user's time to make him arrange windows in the first place.

As long as we're messing with windows, though, the feature sounds good. I often use side by side windows on my 24" desktop.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    I would welcome a similar feature in OS X. I spend what seems like a lot of time resizing two or more windows that I'm working on so that they're big enough for me to be able to work efficiently with them yet small enough and shaped such that they're not covering one another up. Maybe a better way to activate it than dragging any window to the edge of the screen though... as one poster pointed out you may not want a window to auto-resize on you when you drag it out of the way for something.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

It's simple yet useful, especially having to windows take up 50 percent of the screen window, a feature I'd probably use daily.

Ok but doing what? A few of you are saying it's something you'd use a lot but I haven't heard an example besides comparing two documents.

Here are a few videos of the new features:

http://lifehacker.com/5077728/snap-a...e-in-windows-7

Click the links to see the others. The peek idea is ok but like a limited Expose. The hiding windows by shaking is like command-alt-h.

It seems that to do the snap you just drag to the side of the desktop. The concern is what to do when you want to control when this stuff is invoked. I wouldn't want these controls happening all the time. It would be like the Vista security popup.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

something I'm still waiting on OSX *sigh*

I don't like the maximize in Windows. I almost always take it off maximize as it's hard to switch to a window behind it quickly.

Some apps shouldn't maximize the way Windows does anyway. If you are reading text, maximize should only expand vertically.

I do think OS X's maximize is broken or just not used properly by developers. In Textedit, it does maximize both directions. The Finder maximize sets the window to the visible items (often shrinking the window). Safari is completely random. Preview in Tiger keeps zooming out of a PDF if you keep clicking it. It's totally inconsistent.

I don't think it should be 1 action. I think for Preview, Textedit, Safari (download list included) all document apps basically, it should expand vertically only. Then again, preview is for images and all image-based apps should expand left and right fully.

Perhaps if there were two actions separated by ctrl-click/alt-click/right-click on the maximize button. By default, it expands vertically only but right-click etc to expand to the full window. I don't even think these would need to be overridden by a developer.

Let's hope it's something they get round to in 10.6.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Exactly! Honestly, I would never use a full screen again, not even on windows. I like seeing my desktop, and having more then one windows open. Plus, full screen wouldn't work very well with OS X's design.

Quote:

Ok but doing what? A few of you are saying it's something you'd use a lot but I haven't heard an example besides comparing two documents.

Here are a few videos of the new features:

http://lifehacker.com/5077728/snap-a...e-in-windows-7

Click the links to see the others. The peek idea is ok but like a limited Expose. The hiding windows by shaking is like command-alt-h.

It seems that to do the snap you just drag to the side of the desktop. The concern is what to do when you want to control when this stuff is invoked. I wouldn't want these controls happening all the time. It would be like the Vista security popup.

Never thought of it that way, but yea, your right. All MS is doing is getting back to what OS X has. The Flip 3D idea wasn't too successful, so lets try this. Honestly, this Snap feature doesn't sound TOO useful because I always use Expose; and never in the need for comparing two windows, unless it's within Pages but that's not hard to do, and no need to add to Windows/OS X for something thats just not needed.

But let our Windows brothers be happy about something they'll have to discover reasons to use. Hehe.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

Exactly! Honestly, I would never use a full screen again, not even on windows. I like seeing my desktop, and having more then one windows open. Plus, full screen wouldn't work very well with OS X's design.

Never thought of it that way, but yea, your right. All MS is doing is getting back to what OS X has. The Flip 3D idea wasn't too successful, so lets try this. Honestly, this Snap feature doesn't sound TOO useful because I always use Expose; and never in the need for comparing two windows, unless it's within Pages but that's not hard to do, and no need to add to Windows/OS X for something thats just not needed.

But let our Windows brothers be happy about something they'll have to discover reasons to use. Hehe.

He didn't ask for a debate whether it is a good feature or not.. he asked if there is a plugin to bring it to the mac. Like it or not its down to personal preference. Now do any of you idiots know if there is such a plugin. I personally like the idea. Plus most websites are not wider than 800 pixels.. so 2 side by side i would personally fine very useful.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iandean View Post

He didn't ask for a debate whether it is a good feature or not.. he asked if there is a plugin to bring it to the mac. Like it or not its down to personal preference. Now do any of you idiots know if there is such a plugin. I personally like the idea. Plus most websites are not wider than 800 pixels.. so 2 side by side i would personally fine very useful.

Ha ha, gees. I guess I'm asking for it when I bring up a Windows feature in a Mac forum. We Mac users are a pretentious bunch.

Okay... resurrecting the old thread. I just recently had a major programming project that required me to use Windows (C# programming in Visual Studio). There were several tables that I had to reference while coding on one smaller laptop screen, and the split screen feature was extremely helpful. Yes, I'm aware I can resize my windows manually, but who has time for that .

Yes, Expose is awesome... definitely missed that when in the Windows environment, but I'd definitely be interested in a Mac "Snap" feature (particularly the split screen).

*sprays troll repellent*
  • Reply 14 of 42
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I've been using a Mac utility for that with the keyboard. WOrks very nicely.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com/sizeup/

this software adds some functionality like snap on windows. It's not as intuitive as windows 7 (yea I said it **sprays troll repellant**) but only extra click is required to get your snap where you want it. the developer is offering a you name it price right now which is awesome, hook him up after you try to demo out if you like it. :-) i registered just to post this but i'll be looking around here more often.

peace peeps

Edit: This program is actually just as good as if not better then windows snap cause there are more features in it. I just got it out and started using it. there are keyboard commands and those work in one step just press command option and alt plus the direction you want your window to go. cool.

ps i would like to see a snap feature still lol
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alltoorobot View Post

this software adds some functionality like snap on windows. It's not as intuitive as windows 7 (yea I said it **sprays troll repellant**) but only extra click is required to get your snap where you want it. the developer is offering a you name it price right now which is awesome, hook him up after you try to demo out if you like it. :-) i registered just to post this but i'll be looking around here more often.

Nice! I'll check it out.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iandean View Post

Now do any of you idiots know if there is such a plugin. I personally like the idea.

That figures.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alltoorobot View Post

This looks to be the winner in my book. I don't care if he/she is spamming or not, the application looks pretty solid. Definitely worth the minimum $5 "donation" fee. The ability to switch monitors is a nice touch.

Calling this thread closed.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

That figures.

I've only just moved from Windows to Mac, and it took so long because I find pedants annoying. It seems I'm stuck with them until I buy a new machine. Which at this rate won't be a Mac. FYI, I use split applications windows all the time, it's a really useful way to compare and exchange information. WTF does it matter if you don't use it? That doesn't give you the right to denigrate someone who does just cos you think it unworthy of your awesome Maccitude. Dickhead.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Aforementioned "Irradiated Software" also makes Cinch, which I use every day. That should be exactly what you want.