MacBook Aluminum trackpad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Perhaps someone out there with one of the new Macbooks would be kind enough to answer these questions. It is my understanding that the trackpad is hinged along the top edge (I read that it is easier to click at the bottom than the top). If this is the case, does that mean a slight gap forms between the bottom edge and the chassis when you click it? If so, then what happens if dirt gets lodged in this gap? On the other hand, if the bottom edge is fixed to the chassis then won't that join be continuously stressed during each button click?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johndoe View Post

Perhaps someone out there with one of the new Macbooks would be kind enough to answer these questions. It is my understanding that the trackpad is hinged along the top edge (I read that it is easier to click at the bottom than the top). If this is the case, does that mean a slight gap forms between the bottom edge and the chassis when you click it? If so, then what happens if dirt gets lodged in this gap? On the other hand, if the bottom edge is fixed to the chassis then won't that join be continuously stressed during each button click?

A slight gap does exist between the bottom of the trackpad and chassis when you click it, and also along the two lateral sides. My computer is too new to have accumulated much dirt. However, in my old ibook dirt did accumulated around the edges of the button for the trackpad and never affected its operation. I expect the same will be true for the new trackpad design.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johndoe View Post

All sides of the new trackpad have an edge that isn't flush with the case, and the 'throw' distance of the click is so miniscule that any chance of dirt accumulation is far greater during general use, not clicking.

That said, this new trackpad is difficult to get used to. I find myself double-clicking unintentionally, and it often fails to respond to clicks, especially COMMAND-Clicks to open new tabs.

Hopefully this will be remedied with the rumored software fix. Otherwise, these are the finest laptops Apple (or anyone else) has ever produced; simply beautiful.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for the replies.