College computer advice needed for a graphic design student

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm currently looking to transfer from my local community college to an art school(not sure which one yet) to major in graphic design.

and I can't decide which would be best for me, an iMac or a Macbokpro

with the Macbook Pro i get a better graphics card and the portability

but i'm not really sure how much i will need to take it places?

for the macbook pro i'm looking at getting

the 15 inch 2.53ghz

320gb hard drive @ 7200 rpm

and 4gb memory

and if i get the iMac i get so much more

24inch screen, 3.06ghz

4 gb memory

1 tb hard drive

will a laptop really be that much more practical with being in class?

because i doubt i will ever take it to a starbucks or such a place.

but with the macbook pro i can always upgrade to a display screen and keyboard and mouse and get an external hard drive etc etc to upgrade.

where as the imac i can't really upgrade to a laptop.

thank you for the time it took to read this!

and any help would be appreciated

-Gianni

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    get the laptop
  • Reply 2 of 11
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    For $2,199ish budget I would do one of these two options:

Option 1:

MBP 15" 2.4Ghz Refurb $1,599

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP 24" H-PVA monitor $517

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-6272

The usual H-PVA vs S-IPS tradeoffs but the 2408WFP is a competent monitor for $500 vs $800 for the 23" ACD.

Option 2:

MB 2.0 Ghz $1249 (Edu store)

Mini DisplayPort to DualLink DVI $99

Dell Refurb 3007WFP-HC $899 - 30" S-IPS panel.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...07WFP-HC&s=dfh

Option 1 give you a better GPU and laptop with a 24" PVA panel.

Option 2 gives you the equivalent of a 2006 MBP (like I have sans firewire) with a 30" S-IPS panel for $2247 before tax and shipping.

A 30" monitor is awesome...either the ACD or a Dell and the HC I think is better than the 30" ACD.

I have or had dual 24" monitors, 30" ACD and an older Dell 30". I've seen, but not had, the 3007WFP-HC. I would put them in the order of: 3007WFP-HC, 30" ACD, older Dell 3007WFP (non-HC) 30" and then dual 24" monitors.

Me, I'd go with option 2. It'll take a while to outgrow that 3007WFP-HC and it'll double as a nice TV without needing a TV...and the new Macbook is a nice machine if you don't need firewire or a better GPU (it's on par graphics wise with my X1600 in my MBP).

You can also save $250 by going with a refurb 2707WFP at $699 and the cheaper displayport to DVI adapter but that's not quite as nice a display.

S-IPS panels tend to have slightly better viewing angles and color while H-PVA tend to have better blacks and contrast. I say tend because different monitors with the same panel behave differently (backlights, electronics, etc). Eizo's use H-PVAs and they are rated very high.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Lots of spare time Vinea?

Anyway, great work. I agree with the #2 combo recommendation, but the new Macbook could also be paired with the 2408 for a decently lower total cost.

Neither Macbook Pro or iMac seem to make much sense, unless gaming is in the cards.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    You're going to art school? I'd recommend studying some good books and getting first hand design and life drawing experience under your belt. Graphic design is one of those professions with far too many "designers" and too few with good taste. Develop a good sense of the history and variety of visual communications. Remember, even if you're only going to school to become a web site designer, usability and design issues go hand in hand. A good sense of design, organization and business acumen will last you much longer than this year's computer.

Don't mean to be a raving maniac, but I learned skills first, then the computer came much later.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Along the same lines as SpamSandwich I would say it depends on the art you want to concentrate on. Art school is so broad it could mean web design or it could mean oil painting.

If you are at all interested in video or sound production (i.e. Logic or Final Cut Studio) I would recommend the iMac. If you're interested in taking notes in school and then some web design I would go for the MacBook.

Sounds to me like you haven't fully determined what you will be using your computer for, in which case, you should hold off on buying until you have.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    i have determined what i will be using it for.

i am majoring in graphic design

i will use it mostly for graphic programs such as photoshop, illustrator, indesign, basically the entire creative suite package.

but i will as well be using for my music itunes as well as possibly reason.

i was just wondering if a macbook pro would really come in handy when it comes to bring it to class if that was really needed. because i'm not the type to go off to starbucks.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Macbook, non-pro. Smaller computer is easier to carry, easier to keep on a desk at the lectures. When you get home, size doesn't matter as you'll do everything on the primary screen. MB might as well be lid shut to stop dust from getting on keys, IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I agree with Gon, you should get something easy for you to take along with.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giannir View Post

i will use it mostly for graphic programs such as photoshop, illustrator, indesign, basically the entire creative suite package.

i was just wondering if a macbook pro would really come in handy when it comes to bring it to class if that was really needed. because i'm not the type to go off to starbucks.

Then my advice remains the same. Learning about graphic design (in all forms) is more important than getting a computer, unless you are taking technical classes in hopes of going directly to work after 6 months of training.

If you are looking for a job, then learn the Adobe programs. If you are interested in a career, then learn everything else first.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Lots of spare time Vinea?

Anyway, great work. I agree with the #2 combo recommendation, but the new Macbook could also be paired with the 2408 for a decently lower total cost.

Neither Macbook Pro or iMac seem to make much sense, unless gaming is in the cards.

Heh, I was looking at options for myself because I'm getting antsy for the new mini. But I elected to wait until whenever that happens. I already have a MBP and it still works well enough.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giannir View Post

Well, you're already in school so are you taking hand notes? Would it be easier taking those notes on a laptop? Does the school provide you with a computer in every classroom so that you wouldn't even need to unpack your laptop for each class? What about the added weight? Will you have a long walk between classes? Is the school in a safe area?