what will iChat be replacing on your os X system??

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
will you be replacing your current AIM with iChat???

if so, what will iChat replace??

if not, what would make you stay with your current AIM??

thanks...looking for an AIM to use untill iChat comes along....g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    iChat replaces Adium, which is the most refined AIM client out there at the moment. Proteus shows promise, but Adium rules the roost.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I admit to never having once used an instant messenger. But I usually don't even answer my email, either. Or my phone, for that matter. Hmm, maybe there's a pattern here.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    No. I use Proteus and Fire depending on my mood. They both connect to multiple IM providers. So 1 app for all my contacts is much better than 5 apps at once.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>will you be replacing your current AIM with iChat???

if so, what will iChat replace??

if not, what would make you stay with your current AIM??

thanks...looking for an AIM to use untill iChat comes along....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

if you can't change it from using those dumbass message bubbles for convos, and if it can't log conversations, it won't be replacing adium, I'll just use it when I need to send a file or receive a file from someone.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Adium. Maybe. I'm just getting used to this IM'ing thing and adium seems to be the best one for me. Most intuitive and nicest to look at. I tried proteus and it didn't do it for me. Now I just need me some buddies
  • Reply 6 of 14
    hekalhekal Posts: 117member
    Neither, until it supports Yahoo/MSN.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    gotta stick with proteus, have to support both aim and msn :/ it also looked terrible with those balloons.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    It'll be replacing several free megabytes in my Applications folder. That's about it.

iChat looks pretty lame from where I'm standing. Maybe my Mom will like it... but I'll stick with Adium, Yahoo, MSN, and possibly even Fire or Proteus.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    As long as you can change the look of it, it will replace AIM.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i second Hekal... until it supports MSN its totally useless for me.

Unless we get an AI only list going... then could be fun. I would use it just for that.

I wonder if video conferencing will be included... tied in with Quicktime 6 Broadcaster technology and all that
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dividenddividend Posts: 119member
    yea, what were Apple thinking? how many Mac-users used AOL before in comparison with msn or ICQ? Why didn't Apple just say talk to msn, icq and aol and bought fire to make a winning programme? I use AOL for one friend only - no reason to use iChat at all. Besides, it looks pretty. Is there anything else the makes using AOL more interesting? Why not just pay fire or give them one more programmes and make it 100% functional?

How many think iChat looks great as it is? I don't.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    until its good for anything more than an extra icon in my apps folder, pretty much nothing, until then fire rules.(in my opinion)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    You guys are forgetting that anyone who has a mac.com address can also use iChat w/o having an AIM account. That in itself is useful. Yet another reason to get a mac.com account... and a mac.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Sheesh, it's not like Apple didn't get AOL's blessing to integrate AIM support. What do you think other IM services would have thought about sharing an app with others?

AIM is leading instant messenger. I used to use ICQ, but not anymore