Apple releases big bug fix patch for 4th gen iPod nano

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday evening released a significant bug fix update for its recently released fourth-generation iPod nano digital media players, which adds support for a couple of the company's new headphone offerings, and introduces a toggle to turn off Cover Flow, among other things.

Fourth-gen iPod nano owners can obtain the update by connecting their iPod to their computer, selecting the iPod from the left-side device list in iTunes, and then selecting the "Check for update" option.

Specifically, the 57.8MB update, labeled "iPod nano (4th generation) Software Version 1.0.3," delivers:

Support for Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic

Support for Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic

Fixed instability issues when using Nike + iPod Sport Kit

Added a setting to turn off Cover Flow when rotating iPod nano and a Cover Flow menu item under the Music menu

When Shuffle setting is set to Songs, pressing play on a song in a saved Genius playlist will now follow the Shuffle setting

After playing a slideshow with TV out, Cover Flow album art is no longer distorted

Waking iPod nano after hibernating no longer distorts photos

Other minor bug fixes

Unfortunately, the two new Apple headphone options: the $79.00 Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic, as well as the $29.00 Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic, have remained unavailable for purchase since their introduction alongside the new iPods in early September,

As is the case with the company new 24-inch LED Cinema Display, the Apple online store continues to list the accessories as "Coming Soon."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Hmm... No mention if this will fix the random disconnecting that happens to my nano when I try to sync it.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Turning off Cover Flow????? OH HELL YES!!!!

Now PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, I beg, give us the option to turn off CoverFlow in iPhone 2.2.

Truly. Loathe. CoverFlow.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Oh, FINALLY an option to turn off cover flow, thank you Apple! This should increase my battery life when using the iPod in my car significantly.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    If the nano now supports the new earbuds, then perhaps the iPhone will with the 2.2 update.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    This is good news. Must mean the headphones are closer to ready. I'm waiting for those before I purchase my Touch because I'm betting they're going to be standard once released. Otherwise why price them and the old type the same in the Apple store? Also maybe the delay is because they had a bunch of the old type in stock and are holding the new ones, or iPod sales have been less than expected to clear the old ones out, or something completely different.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Quote:

I'm waiting for those before I purchase my Touch because I'm betting they're going to be standard once released.

That's a good possibility. The other $30 earphones might drop in price since older iPods probably can't use the new ones, if Apple doesn't drop them completely.

I'm waiting for the $80 pair to see how they sound. My finger is on the trigger for some Sure 530s which sound absolutely fantastic but I don't know if I want to carry them around.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGui View Post

I'm waiting for the $80 pair to see how they sound. My finger is on the trigger for some Sure 530s which sound absolutely fantastic but I don't know if I want to carry them around.

I'd like some nice sounding in-ear headphones, but I'll buy them if the volume controls work with the 3G iPhone. Convenience plays heavy role in my product choices. Not to mention that any in-ear headphone has got to be better than the cartilage tearing buds Apple supplies.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd like some nice sounding in-ear headphones, but I'll buy them if the volume controls work with the 3G iPhone. Convenience plays heavy role in my product choices. Not to mention that any in-ear headphone has got to be better than the cartilage tearing buds Apple supplies.

Dude, very funny clipboard booboo there
  • Reply 9 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Dude, very funny clipboard booboo there

That was sent to me and I forwarded the link. It's proof there is an issue with the trackpad on the new notebooks not working correctly.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Hmm... The nano does seem to be more responsive after installing the update.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    lablab Posts: 10member
    Just where has the "# of #" when playing songs gone? I found that really useful...
  • Reply 12 of 24
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lab View Post

Just where has the "# of #" when playing songs gone? I found that really useful...

That's never been on the 4G nano.

But my nano does seem to be more responsive when syncing now, no more random disconnects. Looks like the update fixed it.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thataboy View Post

Turning off Cover Flow????? OH HELL YES!!!!

Now PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, I beg, give us the option to turn off CoverFlow in iPhone 2.2.

Truly. Loathe. CoverFlow.

I'd like this too. Very little of what I listen to has album art, so it's just an annoyance.

I'd like a general way to prevent apps doing things when I rotate the iPhone - it makes it a real pain to use in bed!

You can't lie in bed with the phone on it's side because it insists on rotating everything so it's the wrong way round...
  • Reply 14 of 24
    My iPod was better off BEFORE I updated it. As soon as I updated it, the iPod started freezing up at any random time; I can no longer turn the iPod off as when I turn it back on, it's frozen; the shake feature is more like a 'slap-on-the-palm' feature, and I'm just all 'round not happy with this iPod. Now, I'm not sure if it's just a BETA version of a newer, better iPod to be released at a later date, but they should sort out the problems.

I installed software version 1.0.3, and the iPod still freezes. I didn't get any of these 'distorting' problems, and have had no issues with videos freezing, just the iPod freezing up completely. Sometimes it even seems it's just taking a while to respond because when you give up on it, it starts to click away as if you're moving the click wheel. Is it just my iPod, have I just got that faulty one? Am I doing something wrong to my iPod by restoring and resetting it all the time? Or has Apple neglected, or otherwise, not heard of this bug and therefore cannot/refuses to fix it?

Pfft. Yeah, I'm peeved. >:|
  • Reply 15 of 24

z5zl2.jpg

How do I install 1.0.3 ?

• Reply 16 of 24
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Let's see…

By looking at the image in your screenshot, your iPod nano appears to be a 5th-gen, not a 4th-gen. But I could be wrong. I never owned either, and the height distinction is subtle.

Does your iPod have a camcorder on the back?

• Reply 17 of 24

yes have cam is it 4th gen :)

• Reply 18 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroscajka View Post

yes have cam is it 4th gen :)

Ah, that's the 5th gen, then. That would be why you're not seeing an update. 1.0.2 is the most current update for your iPod nano.

• Reply 19 of 24

oh... okej

and how do I solve the error with the graphics?

• Reply 20 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroscajka View Post

…how do I solve the error with the graphics?

What error are you having?