iWork 09?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am going to ask for iWork 08 for Christmas, but I don't want it if in Jan/Feb there will be a iWork 09. Anyone know?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

I am going to ask for iWork 08 for Christmas, but I don't want it if in Jan/Feb there will be a iWork 09. Anyone know?

I think at MWSF Apple will most likely introduce

iLife 09

iWork 09

I'd upgrade both if that happens.

Both were introduced on August 7, 2007 so I think they should have decent upgrades.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I am expecting another app to be added to iLife. Perhaps a simple animation app.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Well Steve Jobs knows but he isn't telling. Apple used to update iLife and iWork like clockwork. We could see it at Macword as its been a year and a half since the last update. Then again they could be bored with the Apps and intend to leave them along until they can introduce some new innovations or another program to the suite. I for one would like to see to see the export options added to the save dialog.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Well....seems like no one knows just like me! Oh well. Anyway...thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 25
    I'd get used it. More things leak out of Area-51 than cupertino.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Well Steve Jobs knows but he isn't telling. Apple used to update iLife and iWork like clockwork. We could see it at Macword as its been a year and a half since the last update. Then again they could be bored with the Apps and intend to leave them along until they can introduce some new innovations or another program to the suite. I for one would like to see to see the export options added to the save dialog.

I'd probably say that there will be a big upgrade to iWorks given the limited nature of 'Numbers' - if they can get iWorks to a point where by it serves 95% of people then they can step back and have a slower upgrade cycle. With that being said, maybe they're looking at having a giant Snow Leopard, iLife, iWorks and iPhone/iPod Touch firmware upgrade release?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

I'd probably say that there will be a big upgrade to iWorks given the limited nature of 'Numbers' - if they can get iWorks to a point where by it serves 95% of people then they can step back and have a slower upgrade cycle. With that being said, maybe they're looking at having a giant Snow Leopard, iLife, iWorks and iPhone/iPod Touch firmware upgrade release?

Yes Apple typically does very well with version 2 of a product. Numbers has promise but it needs that spit polishing that comes with ver 2. I'd like to see Apple add another app as well. Now that they are promoting Bento I doubt we see a database but I'd like a more full fledged drawing app included.

I'd also like to see an iWork plug-in system so that other developers can integrate their product into iWork as seamlessly as possible. I'd love to be able to access programs like Vector Designer, Art Text, Art Rage and more right from within iWork.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes Apple typically does very well with version 2 of a product. Numbers has promise but it needs that spit polishing that comes with ver 2. I'd like to see Apple add another app as well. Now that they are promoting Bento I doubt we see a database but I'd like a more full fledged drawing app included.

Apple could do an iWork/Bento combo for say $99. A little off topic, but I think its time to bring filemaker back in house.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Apple could do an iWork/Bento combo for say $99. A little off topic, but I think its time to bring filemaker back in house.

Filemaker is just fine where it currently resides.

Apple should extend iWorks first by making Numbers on-par with Excel and then offering extension library packs that specifically targets fields of research by tying into to more numerical analysis hungry applications [Octave 3, maxima, BLAS, R statistical analysis, et.al] to business options with advanced macro scripting and more that can take pre-existing VB macros and convert them to iWork macros.

There is a lot they could do.

I doubt very much as if they will do such.

I'm sure they'll extend Pages and Keynote, but then again Pages has a ton of areas it needs to expand to be truly useful ala Framemaker size projects.

Project Planning is another area but I doubt they want to piss off Omni or deal with Visio from Microsoft.

They could extend Numbers by offering extensions of it that work with Filemaker and Bento.

There is a lot they could do, but I think they'll mainly work on extending Pages and Numbers with basic feature sets, reduce bugs and extend functionality of both to work with Keynote to offer something like live updates to presentations or more.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaiwai View Post

The one thing Apple needs to do is make it so people can get their AppleWorks databases into iWork so they do not have to rely on an unsupported application. Numbers could get two modes, a spreadsheet mode and a database mode.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    I believe that both iWork and iLife will be released together with Snow Leopard and show advantage of Grand Central/OpenCL in Leopard. I guess iWork and iLife are products that force Apple to release Show Leopard ASAP. We can expect Aperture 3, FInal Cut Studio 3 and Logic Studio coming later in 2009 and taking advantage of Snow Leopard.

I guess we will see updates:

Keynote

- new transitions, new themes, content sets

Pages:

- captions support

- TOI, TOT

- bibliography

- Math editor

- OpenDocument and better OOXML support

- few new templates

Numbers:

- loading/saving performance

- a lot of new calculation functions

- pivot-tables

- some new chart oprions
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wessan View Post

I think this is key only if Apple plans to compete in the business sector. Apple is trying to start up their own disruptive tech with their iWork, but I feel like it's more like they are saying "Here's a new way of doing work, and it's Fun!". As a consumer that needs to do real work as well, I don't know how to justify buying MSO'08 and iWork. We have our choice when it comes to personal tech, but for business tech, majority rules.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

I believe that both iWork and iLife will be released together with Snow Leopard and show advantage of Grand Central/OpenCL in Leopard. I guess iWork and iLife are products that force Apple to release Show Leopard ASAP. We can expect Aperture 3, FInal Cut Studio 3 and Logic Studio coming later in 2009 and taking advantage of Snow Leopard.

As much as I would love to see Apple release an iWork and iLife that show the advantages of Grand Central/OpenCL, I can tell you with 99% certainty that this will not happen. Apple has never ever released an iWork or iLife that was unsupported by the previous release of OS X.

And Apple has rarely released an iLife that would leverage the features of one OS but fell back on some older code for a previous OS.

So, no, iWork and iLife will not use OpenCL or Grand Central until 2010 or later.

Besides, Apple is simply not coordinated enough to make it happen even if it wanted to. The OS X dev teams has communication problems of their own...I very much doubt they could coordinate with the iLife or iWork team to work OpenCL and Grand Central into them when they can't even do this internally within the OS development team.

edit: Now that I think about it, I hope that iPhoto 2009 will finally use a mix of CoreData and CoreImage to achieve the same results that Aperture provides: non-destructive editing. The idea that iPhoto currently duplicates photos that have been edited (to retain the original photo) can double library sizes.

CoreData and CoreImage has been around since 10.4 Tiger...and iPhoto still doesn't use these frameworks. I understand that Apple tries to catter to the largest amount of customers for their consumer apps...

...interestingly, iLife seems to require 10.4.9, so there really is no excuse to not make iPhoto behave like Aperture. They already have high hardware requirements for iMovie; they could do the same for iPhoto.

edit: k, I'm lying iPhoto does use CoreImage but not in the non-destructive way that we see in Aperture. iPhoto's use of CoreImage is similar to, say, Pixelmator, where the desired effect is rendered with the GPU once for a 'preview' and then the effect itself it is applied to the photo.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I am expecting another app to be added to iLife. Perhaps a simple animation app.

I've been hoping that that would put Draw back into iWork to bring it back up to the goodness of AppleWorks (RIP).

Something would be nice.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:

Keynote

s

Keynote needs better voice-over capabilities similar to what is found in iMovie 08 so that you can record to each slide if desired.

A timeline view with audio tracks would be fantastic, too...
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Keynote needs better voice-over capabilities similar to what is found in iMovie 08 so that you can record to each slide if desired.

A timeline view with audio tracks would be fantastic, too...

The timeline with audio tracks should be a "Service" function extended through iTunes to allow Keynote to leverage it.

The point of NeXT Services were to exposure portions of an applications functionality to be accessible by other applications w/o the need of those applications to reinvent the wheel.

It made for a more cooperative third party market with smaller, leaner application bases.

Cocoa is founded in such.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I'm no computer engineer so: is that the same basic functionality that allows Keynote and Pages to use the same photo editing tools as iPhoto?

There are tons of little tweaks that Apple could (and should) apply to the suites; let's hope they do.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I'm no computer engineer so: is that the same basic functionality that allows Keynote and Pages to use the same photo editing tools as iPhoto?

There are tons of little tweaks that Apple could (and should) apply to the suites; let's hope they do.

Depending on how Apple moves forward with converting all Apple applications to Cocoa you'll see a smaller footprint for all Apple and third party applications moving to Cocoa.

You will be seeing a lot of Core reuse of frameworks by Apple and extended, if necessary, by specific applications so those "bundles" won't be nearly as bloated as they are today.

What was nice was installing a single instance of an application on a network server and with Openstep you launched the app executable with your local resources [local machine] instead of dumping large bundles on a per machine basis.

We're back to 1992 in some regards when we move to 10.6, but you'll be greatful, not to mention businesses will be greatful.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

I guess we will see updates:

Keynote

Pages:

- captions support

- TOI, TOT

- bibliography

- Math editor

- few new templates

Numbers:

- loading/saving performance

- a lot of new calculation functions

- pivot-tables

- some new chart oprions

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I can't wait to freeload/pirate a copy of iWorks '09!!!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    iWork now has serious competition, now that OpenOffice 3 has drawn IBM and Sun into the Mac office suite market.

I expect that the suite will get a newfangled drawing app, along with a bundle that includes Bento.

Hopefully Numbers will get an easy way to add/delete multiple rows, which is a serious and silly omission.