acceptable temperatures for an iMac (Alu, 2 GHz)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello.

I was wondering what are acceptable temperatures for an iMac under normal working conditions.

The iMac is of the latest generation, 20", 2GHz, 2GB RAM, the entry level Mac, besides the MacMini and MacBook (lack of proper graphic card was the main decisive reason).

When the use of the processor is normal, about 25 to 35 percent for each core,

the CPU has around 47º C,

the GPU between 50º and 60º C (the heat sink is warmer),

Ambient around 24º C,

Memory around 45º C,

Airport Card usually 63º C (it's on the entire time, and the temperature is worrying me),

HD around 49º C,

optical drive around 33º C (not in use),

and the power supply around 59º C.

I read somewhere, that the CPU can sustain very high temperatures (up to 100º C).

I never heard a loud fan like in my old G4 iBook, when the temperature rose to almost 70º C, so I'm glad that the temp is so low now.

But I was just curious, if those are normal temps, especially the Airport card.

Does anybody know about this, or can me give a good source for information on this issue?

Many thanks in advance, and good night.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I would like to know about what is considered normal airport card temperatures also. I have a black macbook 2.4Ghz and the card temp is 73 degrees celsius, and I'm just surfing the net, not downloading anything. I hope someone has some information.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Honestly, the only temperature there that would concern me is the hard drive at 49C, but there's really nothing you can do to cool that further.