Apple releases Safari 3.2 with phishing protection

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    This sucks.

They included previously unpatched security fixes in this release in addition to the anti-phishing feature.

Apple needs to release a standalone Security Update for the security fixes.

So, anyone who chooses to skip this update will still be vulnerable to the following Safari exploits:

?Safari

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-3644

Available for: Mac OS X v10.4.11, Mac OS X v10.5.5, Windows XP or Vista

Impact: Sensitive information may be disclosed to a local console user

Description: Disabling autocomplete on a form field may not prevent the data in the field from being stored in the browser page cache. This may lead to the disclosure of sensitive information to a local user. This update addresses the issue by properly clearing the form data. Credit to an anonymous researcher for reporting this issue.

?WebKit

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-2303

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: A signedness issue in Safari's handling of JavaScript array indices may result in an out-of-bounds memory access. Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue by performing additional validation of JavaScript array indices. Credit to SkyLined of Google for reporting this issue.

?WebKit

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-2317

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: A memory corruption issue exists in WebCore's handling of style sheet elements. Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. This update addresses the issue through improved garbage collection. Credit to an anonymous researcher working with the TippingPoint Zero Day Initiative for reporting this issue.

?WebKit

CVE-ID: CVE-2008-4216

Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to the disclosure of sensitive information

Description: WebKit's plug-in interface does not block plug-ins from launching local URLs. Visiting a maliciously crafted website may allow a remote attacker to launch local files in Safari, which may lead to the disclosure of sensitive information. This update addresses the issue by restricting the types of URLs that may be launched via the plug-in interface. Credit to Billy Rios of Microsoft, and Nitesh Dhanjani of Ernst & Young for reporting this issue.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swim2383 View Post

after updating, safari only crashes now.

It only crashes when I try to "Reopen all windows from last session, oh and when I tried to open a link n a new window, and oh....
  • Reply 23 of 61
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Same here. Constant crashes to the point that it is unusable.

Does anyone have a link to 3.1.2?
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i386 View Post

Big wow, so what, I'll stick with Firefox 3, thanks

Yawn...

Another also-ran, primitive, clunky Windows port. I'll stick with OmniWeb; been using it since v3 and it blows FF and Safari out of the water. And yes, I actually paid for it, and no, I don't work for OmniGroup.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

? http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

Same here. Constant crashes to the point that it is unusable.

Go to the Apple site-downloads and enter safari 3.1.2 in the search box and it'll come up as a download.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Go to the Apple site-downloads and enter safari 3.1.2 in the search box and it'll come up as a download.

Thanks but have you actually tried to download it because I always get redirected to 3.2?

Edit: I have stopped the crashes in 3.2 by removing PithHelmet. Anyway I'd still very much appreciate if someone knows where to get 3.1.2.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:

Thanks but have you actually tried to download it because I always get redirected to 3.2?

Edit: I have stopped the crashes in 3.2 by removing PithHelmet. Anyway I'd still very much appreciate if someone knows where to get 3.1.2.

Re-directed me too, but I've got 3.2 on 10.5.5. Maybe you need 10.4 or older to get it?
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:

Apple doesn't play well with others. I can't find the DL anywhere. Do you have TM backup?

Quote:

Re-directed me too, but I've got 3.2 on 10.5.5. Maybe you need 10.4 or older to get it?

Tiger, Leopard and Windows are all 3.2. I can't find a link that doesn't redirect me to 3.2.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

No it won't. It redirects to the 3.2 dl

Luckily I didn't upgrade my laptop.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:

Apple doesn't play well with others. I can't find the DL anywhere. Do you have TM backup?

Tiger, Leopard and Windows are all 3.2. I can't find a link that doesn't redirect me to 3.2.

Wouldn't users of 10.5.2 be able to use that 3.1.2 hence the link being left up?
  • Reply 32 of 61
    Quote:

Wouldn't users of 10.5.2 be able to use that 3.1.2 hence the link being left up?

Not necessarily. the OS X requirements are "Any Mac running Security Update 007 and Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.5 or Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 (or higher)", so Apple may want you to update your OS X version. Especially since the updates are free so there is no legitimate reason, in Apple's eyes, why you wouldn't want the latest point update of OS X but want the latest version of Safari.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:

Not necessarily. the OS X requirements are "Any Mac running Security Update 007 and Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.5 or Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11 (or higher)", so Apple may want you to update your OS X version. Especially since the updates are free so there is no legitimate reason, in Apple's eyes, why you wouldn't want the latest point update of OS X but want the latest version of Safari.

I don't have any unordained apps on my mini, but if I get some I might find that Safari 3.2 starts to crash and I'll have to delete them. Will an update fix this soon through the app, as there's no way to get 3.1.4 etc on 10.5.5?
  • Reply 34 of 61
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

WebKit piggybacks off Safari. So it's entirely possible to get all the Safari 4 goodness *and* the new anti-phishing feature.

So...yes, it's possible to score 100% on Acid3 *and* get protection from fake Chase sites.

I would say that Safari piggybacks off Webkit, since the Webkit framework gets installed into the OS, and then Safari simply makes use of it. You could get the code that is going to go into Safari 4, but it likely not have been certified for prime time. http://www.webkit.org is where it resides, but this is highly development oriented, so I wouldn't trust anything important on it.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

I would say that Safari piggybacks off Safari, since the Webkit framework gets installed into the OS, and then Safari simply makes use of it. You could get the code that is going to go into Safari 4, but it likely not have been certified for prime time. http://www.webkit.org is where it resides, but this is highly development oriented, so I wouldn't trust anything important on it.

Since he is talking specifically about the WebKit nightly builds, you click on WebKit.app instead of Safari.app, which calls the Safari libraries and even states Safari in the Menu Bar and lists the version as the latest version of Safari that you have installed. There are only a few signs that tell you running a WebKit nightly The gold rimmed compass icon, instead of silver, and the results of an Acid3 test are two. The Safari container is completely unchanged, so his initial statement was apt, but in a general sense you are also correct.

PS: I find the WebKit nightly builds to be quite stable, almost all of the time. The advancements they've made with JS processing since the build Apple uses in their Safari current releases makes them worthwhile. Now, Safari 4 beta, on the other hand, still has quirks so it's not worth the trouble, IMO.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:

Apple doesn't play well with others.

It is not Apple's responsibility to ensure compatibility with third party hacks.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

It is not Apple's responsibility to ensure compatibility with third party hacks.

True - and lets ALSO remember that the interfaces which these third party hacks use are NOT supported by Apple in ANY form.

I wish some people here would put a cork in it when they don't know what the heck they're talking about.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Apple is losing its way. Whatever happened to "it just works"? Now they've got so many interdependencies, it's not funny. I just had Safari 3.1 crash and take my whole system with it. Figured it'd be a good time to go to 3.2 since this is one of my rare restarts. Bad move. 3.2 demands 10.5.5 and the latest security update. Why? I don't know. I bet the Windows version doesn't demand Vista SP2 and all the latest security updates. I upgraded from 10.5.3. 10 minutes, double reboot, etc. Safari still wouldn't install without the security update that Software Updater didn't even list until 10.5.5 was installed. Another 5 minutes to install that and double reboot. Finally installed Safari after another few minutes. A browser shouldn't need over 20 minutes to install. Then 3.2 crashed almost instantly. Reopening it every time gave me crashes. I finally went on a search and destroy mission for Pithhelmet. I feel sorry for Mac newbies who wouldn't have this kind of patience or the knowledge to follow the chain of steps. This is not the way to gain converts.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    The most important new feature of Safari 3.2 is the long-overdue EV certificate support. If you log in to PayPal you'll see the info on the EV certificate at the top right of the Safari window.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

Yawn...

Another also-ran, primitive, clunky Windows port. I'll stick with OmniWeb; been using it since v3 and it blows FF and Safari out of the water. And yes, I actually paid for it, and no, I don't work for OmniGroup.

I should try out OmniGroup browser thanks