.dmg? / Fruitmenu

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I installed a program, Fruitmenu, from a macWorld Disk. I now have a dmg file on my desktop, and the program it created, Fruitmenu (on an icon that looks like an external hard drive of some sort). I tried dragging the Fruitmenu item to my hard drive icon but that only created an alias of the icon and left fruitmenu on my desktop. This also happened when i downloaded notepad.

Why can't i drag this off my desktop?

Also, for anyone using fruitmenu I don't see an option of putting 'Favorites' on the Apple Menu. Isn't this one of the main reasons for FruitMenu?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Hold option while draging that will automaticly make a copy as holding command option will make an alias hope that helps
  • Reply 2 of 5
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy:

<strong>Hold option while draging that will automaticly make a copy as holding command option will make an alias hope that helps</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually I ddon't want to make a copy or an alias, thats actually the problem. its doing that without me asking it to. I just want to take the app and drag it into the applications folder on my hard drive but it won't let me. It automatically turns it into an alias while leaving the app on the desktop. Wild and whacky stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yeah I had that problem with something before although I dont remember what, just hold option instead of holding nothing and it will copy it from the disk image and into ware ever you drag it to. If your trying to go from another folder and it makes an alias, just hold option like above and delete the orginial when your done. hope that helped a bit more
  • Reply 4 of 5
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Thanks, its such a wierd thing-I hope 10.2 fixes that, among other things
  • Reply 5 of 5
    The reason for this is that OS X treats Disk images (.DiskiMaGe) like it does regular disks (think hard drives, floppies). And the default action when dragging a disk is making an alias of it, seeing as how you more often than not will not want to copy the entire contents of your hard drive. I love this feature whenever I drag a disk onto another by mistake, but hate it when I want to copy a new app into my Applications folder....

So the default action for dragging an item to a new location is to move it, unless it is on a different disk in which case it will copy the item, unless the dragged item is a disk in which case it will create an alias. Are you confused yet?

If you want to bypass these actions the commands are, Command-drag for move, Option-drag for copy and Option-Command-drag for create alias.

So there.