Best free Windows XP Antivirus software, please?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know this topic comes up from time to time. I would do a search but I don't want old information.

My wife has a PC laptop, and her virus software has expired. Rather than get a new license, I'd like to delete the old software and go with a freeware alternative.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I know this topic comes up from time to time. I would do a search but I don't want old information.

My wife has a PC laptop, and her virus software has expired. Rather than get a new license, I'd like to delete the old software and go with a freeware alternative.

Any suggestions?

AVG hands down.

http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Vir...dlPid=10834624

Also, Ccleaner might be worth checking out. Think Secure empty trash,but for PC.

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-...2.html?tag=dir
  • Reply 2 of 16
    What about Avast?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    I've been using AVG -- my brother-in-law, who's a sys-admin suggested it.

I would also suggest CCleaner to clean up a lot of the temporary files that collect on the hard-drive (the worst ones are actually the Quicktime videos that pile up -- particularly if you watch movie trailers -- but it will also clear out temporary internet files, which is useful) and you can run Ad-Aware every once in a while if you're worried about spyware. I run the program about every six to twelve months as I haven't had a problem with spyware (then again, I've haven't had a virus either in the four years that I've had my notebook).
  • Reply 4 of 16
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Avast is good.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Certainly not Avira Antivir.

It had good catch rate in tests, which is kind of the point of having an antivirus in the first place, but the pop up ads drive me nuts. I guess it's AVG or Avast then - has anyone tried both? I'm using Vista.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

What about Avast?

AVG is faster and better. I use their commercial business version on my Windows 2003 web server.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:

What about Avast?

That's what I use (Vista Home Premium and Business); AVG just got on my nerves, with how it updated, and I've read complaints about 8.0 causing some slowdowns. I just not that concerned about viruses anymore, and watch what I do when online.

If you wanted the very best virus detection, you wouldn't be using either AVG or avast, but they're free - at the least try both, and keep the one that fits best.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Yes! I am utilizing www.search-and-destroy.com, anti-spyware software which is also FREE to download and I am free from undesirable traffics.

Advice to use same.

Good Luck!

• Reply 9 of 16
    Avast and AVG are good free anti-virus software for Windows.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Well, since someone resurrected this thread, I'd like to report that I decided on Avast, and it has been great for the past half-year. Very customizble, and pretty powerful. The registration process and renewal process is a little bit annoying, but not as annoying as shelling out $50 or so for a commercial product.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I liked AVG befor v8 came out with it's more locked down free ver and it was slower + with it's needed a lot of .net and other run times that was needed to run.

Avast is better.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I use AVG at home, but at work we've decided to go with ClamAV because it doesn't have any license restrictions like AVG.

The only major problem with it is that it doesn't scan incoming files - it only does the scanning based on a schedule.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    AVG consistently ranks poorly in detecting and eliminating viruses. Use Avast. Avast also scans web pages as they are downloaded which is critical these days
  • Reply 14 of 16
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    You dont get viruses if you dont click on unknown exe or microsoft office files. Period.

I have uninstalled virus software long ago, since having the software installed is like having a virus (especially norton):
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

You dont get viruses if you dont click on unknown exe or microsoft office files. Period.

I have uninstalled virus software long ago, since having the software installed is like having a virus (especially norton):

This simply isn't true and needs to be called out.

Worms infect computers that are merely plugged into a network. No action is required. Additionally, webpages can infect your computer by simply browsing to them. MySpace is a very popular website that was recently infecting thousands of computers that visited. The trend for malware is shifting to these website type attacks and everyone should have antivirus on their computers. Moreover, they should be using antivirus software that scans webpages for malware as the pages are downloaded.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I use AVG on my PC. But I don't use my PC that much anymore...