External Display Monitors not working with new MB & MBP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi Guys - there are hundreds of threads on the support and mac forums about - wondered if any one had a work around yet? Issue is there seems to be a major bug in the DVI out drivers, so if you connect your new MacBook or MBP to an external Monitor (Apple Cinema or other make) and then your Mac goes to sleep , you cannot 'wake' the external monitor again - either it stays black or worse you get a sort of snowy, out of signal TV look! You need to unplug your monitor, , then when your Mac is awake, re-plug in the external screen.

Report this to Apple guys and post anything you know on it here - sooner they send out a patch to fix it the quicker can get back to normal work!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I haven't seen this and I have a cinema display connected to my new MBP. I have woken it up many times with no trouble the past couple weeks.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    No problem here using the Apple DVI adapter and Aluminum Cinema Display (23"). Late 2008 2.0 Macbook is kept closed when attached and the Apple Remote is used to wake up the machine. Monitor springs to life immediately. No changes to power settings or display settings have been made on the Macbook (defaults for everything).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I spoke too soon, this happened to me today, not when waking it up from complete sleep but when just the monitor went to sleep. The ACD would come up with fuzz, then blink off and on every minute with fuzz each time. Unplugged and replugging the monitor was the only solution.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington View Post

I spoke too soon, this happened to me today, not when waking it up from complete sleep but when just the monitor went to sleep. The ACD would come up with fuzz, then blink off and on every minute with fuzz each time. Unplugged and replugging the monitor was the only solution.

Yeh - Mind is sporadic - sometimes it works just fine, other tiems I get the White Noise screen on the external monitor other times jsut can't wake up the monitor at all and need to un-plug. I suspect it will be soved by the patch coming to fix other external monitor issues - mentioned on todays appleinsider news?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I have never had it happen when returns from complete sleep, but the times it did happen was when the monitor only was asleep.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    i too am having issues with the dvi out from the display port using the apple supplied adapter. for the first week i had no trouble using my mbp in clamshell mode connected to an external dell 22" monitor using dvi. all of the sudden when i plug it in today, the bluetooth module wont work so my apple wireless mighty mouse and keyboard don't respond. i have to open up the mbp to use the trackpad and keyboard, and the bluetooth module is unresponsive. attempts to turn it off fail.

another qwarky behavior that started today was upon bootup when connected to the external display, the displays were reversed. the main display was on the mbp and the secondary display was my external monitor. it has always been the reverse of this, and system preferences confirmed that the primary display was my external, even though the primary was functioning on the main laptop display. just my two cents to add to the thread
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington View Post

I have woken it up many times with no trouble the past couple weeks.

ditto.

MacBook Pro -> Dell 20" widescreen via DVI
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Hi Guys - there are hundreds of threads on the support and mac forums about - wondered if any one had a work around yet? Issue is there seems to be a major bug in the DVI out drivers, so if you connect your new MacBook or MBP to an external Monitor (Apple Cinema or other make) and then your Mac goes to sleep , you cannot 'wake' the external monitor again - either it stays black or worse you get a sort of snowy, out of signal TV look! You need to unplug your monitor, , then when your Mac is awake, re-plug in the external screen.

Report this to Apple guys and post anything you know on it here - sooner they send out a patch to fix it the quicker can get back to normal work!

No workaround but it happens less if you change your settings to not shut off the display and just leave you Screensaver on. If mine turns off the display for any longer than a few minutes it crashes. It is driving me nuts - I hope the release a fix soon, although I am not sure they have publicly stated it is a bug yet..

if anyone knows if there has been official word from Apple, please post the link.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Hi,

My problem is similar but different. I have a Macbook that has been working absolutely fine with an external monitor for a few months. I have an HDMI input on my TV and have been using it as a monitor through an adapter and an HDMI cable. I do not have an issue with my computer sleeping or anything like that. Today, all of a sudden, my monitor shows only the generic stars and purple/blue/pink desktop screen. I tried changing the resolution and THAT window showed on the screen, but once I closed it I was back to the generic desktop shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John
  • Reply 10 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Hi,

My problem is similar but different. I have a Macbook that has been working absolutely fine with an external monitor for a few months. I have an HDMI input on my TV and have been using it as a monitor through an adapter and an HDMI cable. I do not have an issue with my computer sleeping or anything like that. Today, all of a sudden, my monitor shows only the generic stars and purple/blue/pink desktop screen. I tried changing the resolution and THAT window showed on the screen, but once I closed it I was back to the generic desktop shot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John

It sounds as though the extended desktop (spanning) is being displayed on your TV? For some reason your MacBook doesn't realise that it should be switching the spanning off and displaying the primary desktop on the TV.

With your MacBook open, it might be worth switching the windows around in System Preferences and try switching between mirroring and spanning a couple of times. That might be enough to reset the MacBook?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Still nothing from Apple on this - it is driving me nuts. Does anyone have any new information?