Apple now taking orders for 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Following a month-long wait, Apple on Tuesday finally began taking orders for its new 24-inch LED-backlit Cinema Display through its online store, saying shipments will begin sometime later this month.

Announced last month, the new offering is designed especially for the new Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pro families, and includes an integrated MagSafe charger, three USB 2.0 ports and the new Mini DisplayPort, making it easy for users to quickly connect and power their notebooks as well as use their favorite peripherals.

The 24-inch glossy, widescreen display features a 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution and uses LED-backlit technology to provide instant full-screen brightness and great power efficiency. It's suspended by an aluminum stand with an adjustable hinge that makes tilting the display easy, and includes a built-in iSight video camera, mic and speakers for video conferencing with iChat, listening to music or watching movies.

The three self-powered USB 2.0 ports allow you to leave your printer, camera, iPhone 3G or iPod dock connected when you take your MacBook with you. The thin display also includes a built-in universal MagSafe charger so you can leave your notebook's MagSafe power adapter in your travel bag.

Apple says the new LED Cinema Display is the greenest display it's ever developed, made with mercury-free LED technology, arsenic-free glass and highly recyclable materials. It meets stringent Energy Star 4.0 requirements and achieves EPEAT Gold status, the company said.

The new display contains no brominated flame retardants, and all internal cables and components are PVC-free. Its foam packaging has also been reduced by 44 percent.

It sells for a suggested retail price of $899 and requires a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro with the new Mini DisplayPort. However, our sponsor MacMall is also taking pre-orders at the reduced cost of $879.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    A 20" flat panel from Dell : $180 for the cheap one, $260 for the ultrasharp

A 20" cinema display from Apple : $600 for the cheap one, 900$ for the LED one

comon apple, you can charge some premium for being a cute, but the DOUBLE price ?

and please : don't come telling me that Dell monitors are inferior, because they are not. I'm writing this on my MacPro, attached to dual monitor 24" ultrasharp and a 20" ultrasharp.... total price : 800$, which is cheaper than the LED from apple, for more than the double screen estate. And the image quality on both is simply stunning. My boss (a true mac fanatic) has the Apple cinema 30", and the display quality is in no way better than my Dell monitor.

when it comes to the computer itself, I gladly pay the premium. Even more : I'm PROUD on paying 20%-50% more for a desktop machine that looks good and works better. But for the displays, I can't bring myself to it. I'd look like a moron behind a $1600 dual 20" monitor.

I don't know what they are smoking, but apple should get its act together on the monitor price front. It is just ridiculous.

Strangely enough, the price difference is percentually LESS on the 30" screens : $1800 for the apple one, $1400 for the cheapest 30" Dell...

PS : yea, I registered an appleinsider account to vent my frustrations
  • Reply 2 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IrishMac View Post

You might be lucky with your Dell monitor. Not all ship with a Super IPS Panel. Dell use whatever panels they can get their hands on from the parts bin so its the luck of the draw with what you get. I've seen many many Dell screens side by side outputting different colours, even after calibration. Shocking really.

I do agree though, Apple's displays are too much. Despite the quality, I shudder when I look at the price tag.

well, we have probably more than 100 of the 19" flat panels (4:3 ones, not widescreen) here, and although their max brightness is quite a bit less than my ultrasharp, they are all very good. Never had failures or dead pixels. Honestly, i'm very impressed so far with the Dell monitors.

of course, this is seriously balanced by the awfulness of their computers... the recent generation is slightly better, but the previous desktops (1 year old) are failing by the dozens overhere... could be VISTA too though...

so glad to be on my little mac island :-)
  • Reply 3 of 129
    Their prices are close to insane! They have the looks, the performance and the build quality but come on... it simply does not justify the price.
  • Reply 4 of 129
    Are you really comparing 24" LED, S-IPS panels to Dell 20" (lesser-panel) displays? geeze. Compare among these monitors with IPS panels:

<http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php>;

Add to the fact that the $900 24" Apple display has an LED backlight, which most of the other 24" monitors on that list don't have. One that does is the $2200 Samsung XL24, but that's also a more versatile, pro-oriented monitor.

Anyway, compare apples to apples, and Apple's monitor is priced pretty competitively.

If you want to complain about something, complain about the fact that the monitor seems to be exclusively tied to Mini DisplayPort. If they had reverse adaptors or interchangeable display cable assemblies (even sold separately) for DVI, HDMI, etc., I'd be thrilled. Oh well.
  • Reply 5 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawadde View Post

PS : yea, I registered an appleinsider account to vent my frustrations

I'm sorry to say, the LED Apple Cinema Display is 24".
  • Reply 6 of 129
    Does anyone know of an adaptor that will allow this screen to work with my Mac Pro? I don't mind paying $900 for a great display. But it seems counter-intuitive to charge pro-level prices without a way to make it work with their high-end systems.

(I'm the king of hyphens this morning!)
  • Reply 7 of 129
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Quote:

I don't know what they are smoking, but apple should get its act together on the monitor price front. It is just ridiculous.

I'm still using my 24" DELL probably only thing left from my PC days. The new apple 24" is gorgeous but way overpriced. Also has no external speaker jack that's just dumb.
  • Reply 8 of 129
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    How would you use two of these with one Macbook? Two of these with any Apple product for that matter?
  • Reply 9 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I'm sorry to say, the LED Apple Cinema Display is 24".

my bad... Still leaves a $900 vs $400 price difference, although you can't compare the LED to the ultrasharp technology wise. But if you take the NON-LED 20" cinema display, and compare that to the $260 ultrasharp...
  • Reply 10 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aerocowboy View Post

Are you really comparing 24" LED, S-IPS panels to Dell 20" (lesser-panel) displays? geeze.

I had misread the LED dimensions

but lets forget about the LED 24" for a second, and look at the ordinary 20" mac, which goes for $599. Can you claim this price just, compared to the $260 20" dell ultrasharp, which is (i repeat myself) a really really good monitor, quality-wise ?

Even the 24" ultrasharp dell is cheaper, and of stunning image quality too. Honestly : me and my boss did a comparision by putting the 30" cinema next to my 24" dell, and they were equally vibrant, bright & crisp.

to top it off : if you buy a man $599 mini, you can NOT buy an apple monitor cheaper than your brand new computer. How ridiculous is that ?
  • Reply 11 of 129
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

How would you use two of these with one Macbook?

Nothing's changed here. Before the new laptops and display, you couldn't use two external displays either. (First people complain [naively] about the price, then they complain that they can't use two).

Quote:

Two of these with any Apple product for that matter?

Wait for the Mac Pro announcements at January's MWSF.
  • Reply 12 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawadde View Post

I had misread the LED dimensions

but lets forget about the LED 24" for a second

No, let's not. LED backlighting adds substantially to the price and the performance.

Quote:

Even the 24" ultrasharp dell is cheaper, and of stunning image quality too. Honestly : me and my boss did a comparision by putting the 30" cinema next to my 24" dell, and they were equally vibrant, bright & crisp.

Compare while watching HD video.
  • Reply 13 of 129
    gmacgmac Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevrozel View Post

Their prices are close to insane! They have the looks, the performance and the build quality but come on... it simply does not justify the price.

Remember the display also has built in speakers, a power supply for the MacBook, a USB hub and an iSight camera. You have to compare apples to apples (no pun) when looking at the price of this display.

FWIW, I saw one at an Apple store and damn, it is one sexy looking display. Would make a nice companion to my new MBP.
  • Reply 14 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Remember the display also has built in speakers, a power supply for the MacBook, a USB hub and an iSight camera. You have to compare apples to apples (no pun) when looking at the price of this display.

FWIW, I saw one at an Apple store and damn, it is one sexy looking display. Would make a nice companion to my new MBP.

Ok, let's compare apple to apples: for just about the same money you could by a high-end Eizo dislplay featuring a colour-proof PVA panel, an USB hub and - very important - an ambient light sensor. Uh, nearly forgot: no glossy bezel and display surface (which in my country is even forbidden by law for the use in work places!).

Resumee: expensive, nice design, good for Macbook usage, but lacking all features neccessary for serious work.
  • Reply 15 of 129
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    PR says that the 24" ACD is geared for the MacBooks; however, it seems neither the monitor nor the MacBooks come with a connecting cable which is an additional $29. Isn't that adding insult to injury?
  • Reply 16 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zauner View Post

Ok, let's compare apple to apples: for just about the same money you could by a high-end Eizo dislplay

Eizo 19 inch maybe
  • Reply 17 of 129
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

PR says that the 24" ACD is geared for the MacBooks; however, it seems neither the monitor nor the MacBooks come with a connecting cable which is an additional $29. Isn't that adding insult to injury?

How long until Apple charges for the power cord from the Monitor to the wall...

Its their new business model, nickel and dime. It just works!
  • Reply 18 of 129
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I would pay twice that if the resolution were 2560x1600 and the monitor were still 24".
  • Reply 19 of 129
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I just looked. As far as I can see the connecting cable comes with the monitor. Where do you see it for $29.
  • Reply 20 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

How long until Apple charges for the power cord from the Monitor to the wall...

Its their new business model, nickel and dime. It just works!

That doesn't make sense. Everyone needs a power cord, but including adapters for every display connection type is not very Green and is a waste of money for the consumer. Why should I be charged more for adapters that ill never use?