Night Camera tackles iPhone's low-light woes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Night Camera ($0.99, App Store) by Sudobility solves a problem some users may have when taking photos at night with the iPhone's camera.

The iPhone has a 2 megapixel camera with an excellent image sensor that allow the handset to take good pictures when the lighting is good and the subjects are still. But when the lighting gets dim, the iPhone's simple, fixed lens camera can't do much to adjust to the lower light levels, resulting in blurry images.

The only way of getting around this is by developing a superhuman stillness of hand - which isn't really an ideal solution. Night Camera gets around this by using the iPhone's accelerometer to detect an optimal moment of stillness to take the photo, producing clear shots in poor lighting (see below).

The interface of Night Camera itself is straightforward and often nearly identical to the normal camera pane that is used throughout the iPhone. You hold the camera as still as you can, and the app will take the photo automatically when the time is right.

The only thing that could be done is to possibly clean up the interface even more, or have a nicer icon - but at its core it adds a very nice bit of functionality to the iPhone's camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Night Camera ($0.99, App Store) by Sudobility solves a problem some users may have when taking photos at night with the iPhone's camera.

The iPhone has a 2 megapixel camera with an excellent image sensor that allow the handset to take good pictures when the lighting is good and the subjects are still. But when the lighting gets dim, the iPhone's simple, fixed lens camera can't do much to adjust to the lower light levels, resulting in blurry images.

The only way of getting around this is by developing a superhuman stillness of hand - which isn't really an ideal solution. Night Camera gets around this by using the iPhone's accelerometer to detect an optimal moment of stillness to take the photo, producing clear shots in poor lighting (see below).

The interface of Night Camera itself is straightforward and often nearly identical to the normal camera pane that is used throughout the iPhone. You hold the camera as still as you can, and the app will take the photo automatically when the time is right.

The only thing that could be done is to possibly clean up the interface even more, or have a nicer icon - but at its core it adds a very nice bit of functionality to the iPhone's camera.

Nice. This is needed since Apple has left off better camera function.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Nice. Here's one useful functionality Apple should just purchase and be included in a future update.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    About half of the reviews I read about it on iTunes claim they don't know where the photos go after they've been taken. I guess they don't even show up in the "camera roll"

I was considering buying it, but I'd rather not if it's just going to be a pain.