Apple waiting on quad-core desktop chips from Intel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple is among a handful of PC manufacturers who're waiting on a new family of quad-core chips from Intel that are designed for small form-factor PCs like the Mac mini and all-in-one systems like the iMac.

Taiwanese rumors mill DigiTimes is citing sources who say the chip maker plans to launch the 65W low-power chips in the middle of January and that "Apple, Acer, Hewlett-Packard and Dell have already decided to launch products based on these CPUs."

There will be a total of three new chips, according to the report, including the Core 2 Quad Q8200 (2.33GHz/4MB L2), Core 2 Quad Q9400 (2.66GHz/6MB L2) and Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz/12MB L2), which will cost $245, $320 and $369, respectively, in lots of 1000.

The new chips reportedly share the same specifications and model number as Core 2 Quad processors that were launched in March and August of this year, but will see their TDP drop from 95W to 65W.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    So Macworld ... we are likely to see new models announced with delivery dates in late Jan or early Feb.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder if Apple finally offer desktop-grade CPUs in their iMacs or will they do what Apple usually does and make their machines thinner.

PS: does anyone have the info on the iMac and Mac mini's current CPU TDPs and the cost per/1000 for the current iMac CPUs?
  • Reply 3 of 55
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    But nobody buys Macs anymore because of DRM...
  • Reply 4 of 55
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Good for an iMac and, perhaps, the fabled xMac. But I'd rather they use a cheaper Core2 Duo in the mini and use the savings to upgrade the graphics and wireless and to keep Firewire (FW800 would be nice) while keeping the price as low as possible.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    "TDP drop from 95W to 65W". This seems too much for me: about THREE TIMES MORE than current Mac mini, iMac and MacBooks. So, NO WAY!

What are the current TDP for the chips used on Mac mini and iMac?

What are the current TDP for the chips used on any past and present Mac?

Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    These could fit in the iMac, put putting a 65w chip in the Minis current enclosure would be near impossible. There's not enough room for cooling, it would have to grow in size.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

What are the current TDP for the chips used on Mac mini and iMac?

Mini: 35w

iMac 55w.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

These could fit in the iMac, put putting a 65w chip in the Minis current enclosure would be near impossible. There's not enough room for cooling, it would have to grow in size.

Mini: 35w

iMac 55w.

I believe this is correct.

K
  • Reply 8 of 55
    The (ALU rev. B) iMac CPUs are also sort of a hybrid between the desktop and mobile versions of the core 2 duo.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The (ALU rev. B) iMac CPUs are also sort of a hybrid between the desktop and mobile versions of the core 2 duo.

That was a bizarre chip that I recall, old core, bigger than standard cache and odd TDP rating.

Still, I don't think they used anything near 65watt rating, but I wasn't aware they used 55W chips. That sounds like it might be higher wattage than the G5s they used in the bigger white enclosures.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    The 970FX used in the iMacs was around 55w if I recall.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I can't imagine a mini being built with a $245 processor. That's almost half the cost of the entire system.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I can't imagine a mini being built with a $245 processor. That's almost half the cost of the entire system.

The mini has basically always been a MacBook in a box, so I don't see it using these chips. The mini will get the 2,0GHz and 2,4GHz chips the MacBook has now.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    The 1.83ghz T5600 that's currently in the Mini was listed at $241. That being said, I see the mini remaining dual core.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    This is what the 17" MacBook Pro is waiting on.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Intel has a few categories; All Core2 Duo desktop cpu's are 65W TDP (xtreme 75w) All standard mobile are 35watts- (xtreme 44w) low 25w

These are MAX power displacement - like setting your CPU to Highest, or running some CPU intensive apps. Automatic would lower average etc.

Quad are ~95 or extreme ~130w

but at IDF intel had an experimental quad at 48w 2.66GHz

Mac mini has a maximum 110Watt power supply

only chips meeting the specs are:

T5600\t1.83 GHz\t34 W\t2MB (FSB 667) (65nm Merom)

T5750\t2.0 GHz\t35 W\t2MB (FSB 667)

20" iMac has 200W power supply

24" iMac has 280 watt PS

these chips are desktop

E7200\t2.53 GHz\t65 W\t3MB (FSB 1066) (Wolfdale-3M)

Macbook Pro 15" has 85w power supply

T9400\t2.53 GHz\t35 W \t6MB (FSB 1066)

E = Desktop (~65W); X6... = Desktop (~75W); X = Mobile (extreme) (~44W); T - Mobile (standard voltage) (~35W); P - Mobile (medium-voltage) (~25W); L - Mobile (low voltage) (~17W); U - Mobile (ultra-low voltage) (~10W)
  • Reply 16 of 55
    The top of the line dual 3.06 is 45W, so a 65W model would mean a new enclosure, which is unlikely. The core 2 quad at 2GHz is 45W TDP so that may be an option on the next gen iMac and maybe even a 17" MacBook Pro. Should ship just before the new year and thus introduced at MacWorld but not shipping for 4 weeks or so afterwards. It typically takes 6 weeks from shipping from Intel before we see it in a shipping Mac.

If Apple did want to make a mini-tower, the so-called xMac in a tower the size of the old Power Mac/Performa 6400, then a single 65W quad core could be used there. I'm sure it could sell better than the Mac mini.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

The top of the line dual 3.06 is 45W, so a 65W model would mean a new enclosure, which is unlikely. The core 2 quad at 2GHz is 45W TDP so that may be an option on the next gen iMac and maybe even a 17" MacBook Pro. Should ship just before the new year and thus introduced at MacWorld but not shipping for 4 weeks or so afterwards. It typically takes 6 weeks from shipping from Intel before we see it in a shipping Mac.

That TDP is certainly too high. Now, is it remotely possibly that Apple could underclick the chips while still offering more performance at a cheaper price per CPU?
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

If Apple did want to make a mini-tower, the so-called xMac in a tower the size of the old Power Mac/Performa 6400, then a single 65W quad core could be used there. I'm sure it could sell better than the Mac mini.

Apple isn't using the mobile 3.06ghz CPU. They're using what basically amounts to a slightly more efficient version of the desktop core 2 duo in a socket P package. Its a hybrid, and possibly a prototype for the Small form factor desktop chips coming out in the not too distant future.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That TDP is certainly too high. Now, is it remotely possibly that Apple could underclick the chips while still offering more performance at a cheaper price per CPU?

Apple under-clocks the CPU in the iPhone, so it's remotely possible but more likely they would use the lower clocked chips that are cheaper. The Q9000 series seems most affordable in a quad core chip and the timing is about right. at 2.5GHz trim the Q9300 is 95W, which is close to the 130W of the MacPro class models. The 2GHz is 35W The 2.26GHz Q9100 is 45W and has a 12MB cache so sound like the sweet spot Apple has used in the past. It's a $851 chip, so it won't come standard.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Id say its quite possible