Apple now taking orders for 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philby View Post

The difference is that the LaCie is an RGB LCD.

Which means it has a far wider displayable colour range than the glossy stuff Apple is peddling.

Since I don't have any numbers from the Apple display, here's a comparison between an Eizo LCD and the LaCie RGB LCD screen in numbers:

Eizo: The FlexScan SX2461W reproduces 95% of the Adobe RGB color space so it can display most colors in a photograph taken in Adobe RGB mode.

LaCie: The LaCie 724 Monitor’s ground–breaking RGB-LED backlight technology produces purer red, green and blue primaries, resulting in a larger range of vibrant colors previously unattainable by CCFL-based LCD monitors. It covers a remarkable 125% and 123% of the NTSC and Adobe RGB gamuts (CIE 1976)

No argument here. My studio had the top of the line LaCie CRTs which by the way had glass screens and yes, we calibrated them twice a month.

I once had a couple of Radius PressView 21 SRs and a Barco Reference monitor. All glass front CRTs. If I recall, I could buy a CRT today what it cost to cable the Radius's. As one can see, I am out of the print business. But as far as I see, you want color, CRTs are still the standard.

Bottom line. The new Apple LED Cinema Monitors don't seem to be out-of-line re price. Certainly the most beautiful LCD monitors that I have viewed to date, since non of the others have reached store shelves to date. That is my personal opinion. Would like to see some side-by-side comparisons when the others come.

More important, hopefully a 27" or larger LED Cinema Display is coming soon. But that may take awhile. As Apple first announce, the LED backlits are the way to go. Problem is cost until volume is increased. Certainly nobody has announced any coming. TVs, yes, but not monitors. Just saw the new Sony 55" Bravia XBR LCD FP HDTV. Now that is a beauty. And at $7000 so is the price.
  • Reply 102 of 129
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I still have a bad taste in my mouth from LaCie... and i'm sure you all will laugh at me when I tell you my story.

When CD Burners first came out LaCie produced a 2x external SCSI cd burner. I gladly bought it for $500. I was so excited to burn cds. It was a cassette loading burner... lol.

The thing didn't last one month before it died. The external case that LaCie built was putting dust / dust bunnines into the cd burner itself. So naturally I wanted it replaced. They replaced it the first time. A month later it died again. They told me I was out of luck!!! A 1 month warranty on a $500 cd burner. Boy was I heated.

Ever since I have held that grudge against LaCie. I know they make quality displays. I just can't get over how bad they screwed me over.... back in 1993 ... LOL
  • Reply 103 of 129
    I wonder if the updated mini will have a mini display port to replace the DVI? A mini coupled to an ACD could be a pretty fair system.
  • Reply 104 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/ev2411w/index.asp

EXACT SAME PANEL!!!

And you get matte??? And you get a 5 year warranty??? And you get dvi??? wow.

Read the fine print:

From FlexScan EV2411W product brochure http://www.eizo-downloads.com/downlo...canEV2411W.pdf

Five Years4

1 Display with audio/video devices is not supported. 2 Bundled ScreenManager Pro for LCD is necessary to activate Auto Fine Contrast. 3 ScreenManager Pro for LCD is compatible with the Microsoft Windows Vista operating systems only. 4 The usage time is limited to 30,000 hours or less, and the warranty period of the LCD panel and backlight is limited to three years from the date of purchase.

Now here is truth in advertising:

With current LCD technology, a panel may contain a limited number of missing or flickering pixels.

Buyer beware.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    A) we already went through this.

B) 3 years is still more than apple's pathetic 12 months.

C) Everyone has a dead pixel pixel policy. It's called LIE about something else when you return it.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    Quote:

And finally, as I said earlier... who the hell cares about a cheap camera that the laptops already have?

If you've ever hooked up an external display to your macbook and tried to do a video conference, you'll understand why Apple includes an iSight on their new ACD and why macbook owners SHOULD care.

Without one, a video conference from a macbook via an external monitor is extremely awkward because you are facing the monitor but the macbook/camera is off to the side which makes it appear as if you are talking and looking at someone else in the room.

Also, your macbook can be closed while video conferencing.

IMHO, it is very thoughtful of Apple to include this and is not at all frivolous.
  • Reply 107 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chedi View Post

If you've ever hooked up an external display to your macbook and tried to do a video conference, you'll understand why Apple includes an iSight on their new ACD and why macbook owners SHOULD care.

Without one, a video conference from a macbook via an external monitor is extremely awkward because you are facing the monitor but the macbook/camera is off to the side which makes it appear as if you are talking and looking at someone else in the room.

Also, your macbook can be closed while video conferencing.

IMHO, it is very thoughtful of Apple to include this and is not at all frivolous.

I have a 24" Samsung (worst banding and color reproduction ever i know... but was cheap) hooked up to my macbook pro. I am well aware of the "awkwardness" you speak of. But on the same token, they are side by side, it isn't that far off. The other person sees an angle shot instead of head on.

I'm not condemning apple for including an iSight. I think it's cool. But for this to be the only real selling point is weak imho. It isn't a deal breaker... especially if you have one currently. I still haven't figure out why anyone would want to close their laptop when they have an external display... why not have that extra display there to work off of? I guess if space is a factor
  • Reply 108 of 129
    Has anybody noticed that if you have an apple laptop, that they don't offer a good mirroring solution for external displays?

What I want to do is plugin my monitor and desktop peripherals, and then work as if it were a desktop. Unfortunately, the laptop will only output at its largest resolution, not the resolution of the external monitor.

So if you do that, the external monitor is down res'ed and blurry. The only way to make this work is to get the super high res laptop (which is a problem), or to just use the external monitor as a second monitor of different shape and size. That's the config I have now, and it sux.

It's hard to believe that they have in mind a desktop monitor that only works well as a desktop extension. You can see in all the promo pictures, though, that this is what they are showing.

There is an unstable way to trick the laptop by sleeping it and then waking it with the lid closed. Not a production-worthy solution. So, in this case I've got to chalk one up to Microsoft because they handle this case perfectly.

Matt
  • Reply 109 of 129
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The isight isn't the main selling point its a feature. The main selling point is a 24" monitor that easily connects and disconnects from a notebook. You can plug all peripherals (keyboard, mouse, printer) into the monitor without the need to connect and disconnect it from the notebook itself.

I cannot see a 13"/15" monitor next to a 24" monitor being the most convenient working environment.

Quote:

I'm not condemning apple for including an iSight. I think it's cool. But for this to be the only real selling point is weak imho. It isn't a deal breaker... especially if you have one currently. I still haven't figure out why anyone would want to close their laptop when they have an external display... why not have that extra display there to work off of? I guess if space is a factor

• Reply 110 of 129
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speakeasy1920 View Post

Has anybody noticed that if you have an apple laptop, that they don't offer a good mirroring solution for external displays?

What I want to do is plugin my monitor and desktop peripherals, and then work as if it were a desktop. Unfortunately, the laptop will only output at its largest resolution, not the resolution of the external monitor.

So if you do that, the external monitor is down res'ed and blurry. The only way to make this work is to get the super high res laptop (which is a problem), or to just use the external monitor as a second monitor of different shape and size. That's the config I have now, and it sux.

It's hard to believe that they have in mind a desktop monitor that only works well as a desktop extension. You can see in all the promo pictures, though, that this is what they are showing.

There is an unstable way to trick the laptop by sleeping it and then waking it with the lid closed. Not a production-worthy solution. So, in this case I've got to chalk one up to Microsoft because they handle this case perfectly.

Matt

If you mirror the desktop you get the same resolution on both screens hence the name "mirror". What you are looking for is extended desktop. Just change the mode in System Preferences/Displays.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

I wonder if the updated mini will have a mini display port to replace the DVI? A mini coupled to an ACD could be a pretty fair system.

Apple have already said that they will be transitioning to mini-DisplayPort across their entire product line. I think we'll see new iMacs and Minis with mini-DisplayPort announced at MWSF. We may see another ACD with mini-DisplayPort announced at the same time. Maybe a 20" 1920x1200?
  • Reply 112 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The isight isn't the main selling point its a feature. The main selling point is a 24" monitor that easily connects and disconnects from a notebook. You can plug all peripherals (keyboard, mouse, printer) into the monitor without the need to connect and disconnect it from the notebook itself.

I cannot see a 13"/15" monitor next to a 24" monitor being the most convenient working environment.

That's been my work environment for 2 years now. I use my 15" for my console, terminal, adium, itunes, toast, debug window, ftp client, jobtimer, activity monitor, XLD conversion, all while I have photoshop, bbedit, xcode, interface builder, omnigraffle, pages, aperture, vmware, on the 24". Say what you will about the work environment, but it works great. I have my mbp on a griffin stand at the same level as my 24". I absolutely love it. I have two 4 port USB hubs coming off of my laptop that site behind it. A fw400 drive and my gigabit ethernet in it.

The isight is the main selling point of that monitor compared to other monitors with comparable panels. I don't see any reason to take an ACD over a nice matte panel besides the isight.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    Quote:

iSight? Already have one and don't use but twice a year. .

Quote:

I am well aware of the "awkwardness" you speak of. But on the same token, they are side by side, it isn't that far off. The other person sees an angle shot instead of head on.

A minor issue for someone who rarely uses an iSight but if you do any amount of video conferencing, face to face is the only way. I've seen the side by side angle shot, it's not a good workaround; in fact, it comes off as rude.

Quote:

I'm not saying someone won't find value in these features, but I think to most who already have a laptop and already have speakers (out of box speakers will blow that lcd out of the water for sound), ACD brings nothing to the table.

That's the point, Apple's ACD is trying to get everything (clutter) OFF the table.

Quote:

The isight is the main selling point of that monitor compared to other monitors with comparable panels. I don't see any reason to take an ACD over a nice matte panel besides the isight.

The integrated magsafe connector is a plus.
  • Reply 114 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chedi View Post

A minor issue for someone who rarely uses an iSight but if you do any amount of video conferencing, face to face is the only way. I've seen the side by side angle shot, it's not a good workaround; in fact, it comes off as rude.

Can always run the conference on the laptop monitor . It's only 640x480... not like you won't miss any detail...

Quote:

That's the point, Apple's ACD is trying to get everything (clutter) OFF the table.

With 3 USB ports? 3 is too few for me... I need more than that. All 3 brings is keyboard, mouse, printer. What about digital camera? Ipod/iphone? External Hard Drive? Midi Device? USB Headset?

Quote:

The integrated magsafe connector is a plus.

I guess so, I barely notice mine though. It's pretty cool, I don't notice any of these wires... they are all back behind where I can't see them.

With that being said, I am holding out for a new mac pro so I can run dual 24". I'm tired of trying to run vmware+ie, photoshop, firefox, safari, itunes off of my 2.33 mbp with 3gb ram. Just doesn't cut it for a quick turn around. Not to mention I've been beachballing to heck with my external USB itunes library (all started with 10.5.5 and iTunes 8).
  • Reply 115 of 129
    I have a white Macbook, just a few months old. I plan to buy an external monitor soon, and was hoping for a new 20" version of the LED monitor, assuming they will soon follow the 24" just introduced. Now I'm reading that the 24" won't work with older computers because the Mini DisplayPort can't be easily adapted with a dongle. Is this true? If so, will all future LED monitors come with Mini DisplayPort (meaning I'm screwed)? Starting to think buying a current 20" model is my best bet. I'd love some insight on this.
  • Reply 116 of 129
    Eizo is making one with the EXACT same panel but with matte instead of gloss.

http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/ev2411w/index.asp. Supposedly 100-200 dollars cheaper too. So if you don't have display port, you can grab one of those.
  • Reply 117 of 129
    I don't see a link to this here yet, but Ars Technica posted their "first impressions" of the new Cinema Display. They'll probably have a full review of it sometime next week.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I don't see a link to this here yet, but Ars Technica posted their "first impressions" of the new Cinema Display. They'll probably have a full review of it sometime next week.

Nice, thanks for the link. I'm planning to pick one of these up to accompany my 15" MacBook Pro for when I need to sit down and do some work.
  • Reply 119 of 129
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guppy737 View Post

If and when there is an updated Mini? At the present pace of change, I say it will not get it before the MacPro, which might come in December...?
  • Reply 120 of 129
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

With 3 USB ports? 3 is too few for me... I need more than that. All 3 brings is keyboard, mouse, printer. What about digital camera? Ipod/iphone? External Hard Drive? Midi Device? USB Headset?

3 USB ports on the monitor. With the MacBook, and keyboard, you have a total of 7 USB ports.

Quote:

I guess so, I barely notice mine though. It's pretty cool, I don't notice any of these wires... they are all back behind where I can't see them.

The point of the integrated power is the ability to easily plug and unplug the notebook from the monitor.