Apple in talks to offer DRM-free MP3 tracks via iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple is in talks with three of the "big four" record labels about offering music tracks through iTunes that would be made available in MP3 AAC format without copy protection measures, a move that could further distance the digital download service from its rivals.

Citing "two music industry sources," CNet News.com claims the talks with Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group, and Sony BMG are still in the preliminary stages with nothing finalized, though one label is reportedly leaning towards an agreement.

EMI, the other member of the "big four," has been offering its entire catalog to iTunes users free of copy protection measures since April of 2007, however its tracks are being served up in AAC -- a format designed to be the successor to MP3.

In addition to achieving better sound quality at certain bit rates, AAC allows Apple include custom iTunes information such as album artwork and purchase information within the same file that contains the audio track.

A switch to MP3s would rival a move on the part of Amazon.com, which launched an MP3 download service last fall and eventually gained the support of all four major record labels. The retailer has since chipped away at share of the digital audio download market, but not necessarily at Apple's expense.

Should Apple and the record labels ultimately forge a deal, the vast majority of songs purchased from iTunes would no longer be restricted for use solely on Apple's handheld products such as the iPod and iPhone. It would also serve as a serious setback to rivals such as Amazon, who would then need to devise a new way to differentiate their service offerings from the already ubiquitous iTunes.

Amid public scrutiny over the limitations of copy protected songs, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs in February of 2007 called upon the "big four" music companies to drop their anti-piracy restrictions and allow digital music tracks to be sold openly on the Internet for any brand of digital music player.

Frustrated with inflexible pricing on the iTunes Store, record labels outside of EMI have refused to cooperate with the iPod maker. They've instead signed deals with many of the company's rivals in an effort to gauge whether they can reduce Cupertino-based company's influence on digital music sales.

Meanwhile, it's reported that Universal Music is expected to join EMI and Warner in licensing their catalogs to Microsoft in MP3s for sale on the Zune Marketplace -- the software giant's answer to Apple's digital download service.

Update: CNet has since changed its story to omit mention of MP3 as the format in which the new unrestricted tracks would be sold. The author responded to a comment on the matter by saying "I don't know whether my sources were just throwing out MP3 as a way to describe unprotected music." It's likely Apple would make the tracks available in unprotected 256 kbps AAC format as it does with those from EMI.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Mp3? ...
  • Reply 2 of 65
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    My order of preference, when I music shop:

256 kbps AAC (iTunes Plus) - no DRM

256 kbps MP3 (Amazon) - no DRM

128 kbps AAC (regular iTunes) - has DRM

128-192 MP3 (I think I'll pass!) - no DRM

If the MP3s are 256, that's acceptable, and DRM-free is extremely welcome, but I'd rather have MP4 (aka AAC).
  • Reply 3 of 65
    That would be nice, DRM free music from iTunes, but why degrade it by making it mp3? Why not just make the tracks DRM-free AAC? Even the crappiest cellphones today can play back AAC. I don't see the point. Anyone care to enlighten me?

BTW- Regarding "a move that could further distance the digital download service from its rivals.", Isn't Amazon DRM-free?
  • Reply 4 of 65
    I never buy music from iTunes because of the DRM. I browse for music there because it's a great shopping experience. When I find something I want, I head to amazon to buy it DRM free. Apple has lost about 10 album sales from me due entirely to DRM and low bitrate encoding (not iTunes plus). It's not a lot, but I'm not alone either.

Sheldon
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Strangely enough LastFM seems to think that iTunes already offers music in MP3 format. Did they know something we didn't or was it simply a slip of the mind.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

That would be nice, DRM free music from iTunes, but why degrade it by making it mp3? Why not just make the tracks DRM-free AAC? Even the crappiest cellphones today can play back AAC. I don't see the point. Anyone care to enlighten me?

BTW- Regarding "a move that could further distance the digital download service from its rivals.", Isn't Amazon DRM-free?

CNet just changed the story without making a note of what they changed, but the mention of MP3 has now been removed in regards to the format Apple will use. It will likely be AAC.

K
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Esteban The record companies (apart from EMI, who were desperate) simply don't want the music offered DRM free in a superior format. They feel that MP3 being limited is a good way to test the market. Maybe if it does work out well years down the line they will accept upgrading the quality, hoping no doubt to resell the tracks, or if it doesn't work out go back to selling increasing better quality DRM only, but I doubt that even they know that yet. If it had a choice obviously Apple would stick to AAC but probably feels it can not delay any longer and rsik losing market share
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to achieving better sound quality at certain bit rates, AAC allows Apple include custom iTunes information such as album artwork and purchase information within the same file that contains the audio track.

Um, you can embed album artwork, and any other kind of information, in MP3s. Just not DRM.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

CNet just changed the story without making a note of what they changed, but the mention of MP3 has now been removed in regards to the format Apple will use. It will likely be AAC.

K

Now that is interesting if it is correct and would indeed tie in with previous rumours recently regarding talks between Apple and one of the (sorry can't remember which) record companies to use AAC DRM free tracks. That would be great news for the consumer and suggest that the record companies blinked first rather than Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mp3? ...

Not on your Nelly, Nor mine either!
  • Reply 11 of 65
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Thank god they didn't mean 256k MP3. In my view, 256k MP3 ~= 128k AAC or 160k at the very best. I actually prefer 160k AAC. 256kMP3 sucks. 256k AAC is very *VERY* close to CD bit perfect sound. Big difference. Good for appleinsider for digging.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

I never buy music from iTunes because of the DRM. I browse for music there because it's a great shopping experience. When I find something I want, I head to amazon to buy it DRM free. Apple has lost about 10 album sales from me due entirely to DRM and low bitrate encoding (not iTunes plus). It's not a lot, but I'm not alone either.

No, you are not alone. There is even an applescript that takes you from the iTunes Store to the right site at Amazon (http://www.advantageousmp3.com)

Kevin
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by twoch View Post

No, you are not alone. There is even an applescript that takes you from the iTunes Store to the right site at Amazon (http://www.advantageousmp3.com)...

This would possibly be the only way to actually *find* anything in the Amazon music store.

I still don't see why anyone would pay for low quality MP3s though. If I can't find it DRM free in iTunes I buy the CD second hand (the only way to NOT get ripped off), and if I can't find that I go down to the harbour and ask the first Pirate I see.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Thank god they didn't mean 256k MP3. In my view, 256k MP3 ~= 128k AAC or 160k at the very best. I actually prefer 160k AAC. 256kMP3 sucks. 256k AAC is very *VERY* close to CD bit perfect sound. Big difference. Good for appleinsider for digging.

As usual, it depends a lot on the encoder.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Would this apply only to the U.S., or for other countries as well.

We still don't have the Amazon MP3 store in Canada Guess the RIAA doesn't want my business....
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Article is updated, looks like someone was just using "mp3" to mean unprotected.

That was the only thing about that article that had me scratching my head.

If they are going to switch virtually everything to unprotected AAC, that's fantastic news, and about time. It was obvious that the labels were allowing the same material unprotected on Amazon but protected on iTunes out of nothing more than spite and hope that someone else would gain enough market share to make iTunes less powerful.

It will be a good day when that charade is over.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Article is updated, looks like someone was just using "mp3" to mean unprotected.

That was the only thing about that article that had me scratching my head.

If they are going to switch virtually everything to unprotected AAC, that's fantastic news, and about time. It was obvious that the labels were allowing the same material unprotected on Amazon but protected on iTunes out of nothing more than spite and hope that someone else would gain enough market share to make iTunes less powerful.

It will be a good day when that charade is over.

Yeah I was confused about that one too for a minute. Thanks for clearing that up AI.

Jimzip
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Quote:

Sheldon

I do the same thing as do my wife and son.

Apple's low bit rate and DRM makes them the LAST choice for me. And don't give me that bologna that 128 AAC is equivalent to 256 mp3. I do however like the layout of the iTunes Store. If Apple can go all DRM free, I'll bring my business back to them.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:

Sheldon

The MP3's you buy at Amazon are equivalent to AAC's at 128. So your low bit rate argument makes no sense. DRM doesn't affect me at all. I can play the tracks on all my Macs, my iPhone, and iPod. So the "I hate DRM" excuse is only because you want to steal music or give it away for free. If you really hated DRM, you would go out and buy the CD, which will never have DRM restrictions, for the highest quality reproduction of the music.

I still buy CD's from my favorite artists because I want to hear the uncompressed audio at home, and then encode it at the bitrate of my choice for my iPod/iPhone. I would prefer all the music on iTunes to be encoded in AAC/256, regardless of DRM.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Sheldon

Why don't you just strip the DRM from the iTunes tracks?