I just bought a PowerBook 1400cs/166!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's gonna be dropped off at my house in about two hours. It's costing me $90, and is in perfect working condition, running Mac OS 8, and upgraded to 32mb of ram.

I've always wanted to buy an old mac, like a performa or even an SE/30. This is exactly what I was looking for. Reasonably priced, in perfect condition, capable of running OS 9.0.

Are there any cool things I can do with it that I haven't thought of? I'm planning on just playing around on it and exploring the older operating system for the first time in several years. Maybe getting some old mac games for it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ClarisWorks!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Ugh. I thought it would have a CD-Rom drive. It only has a floppy drive. This sucks. I can't transfer anything to it. It's useless. $90 down the drain.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Ugh. I thought it would have a CD-Rom drive. It only has a floppy drive. This sucks. I can't transfer anything to it. It's useless. $90 down the drain.

No. The software you need is on floppy disks. If it's on CD it won't work on your machine.

I have an old PB 160. I have most of my software for it and it should work on your machine. I will see if I can find it. Pretty sure I have CWs. I may have some games but be forewarned, they suck.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

No. The software you need is on floppy disks. If it's on CD it won't work on your machine.

I have an old PB 160. I have most of my software for it and it should work on your machine. I will see if I can find it. Pretty sure I have CWs. I may have some games but be forewarned, they suck.

I burned a copy of Mac OS 9 to a CD. I was hoping to be able to install that.

Also, I was planning on transferring files from my desktop machine to the laptop, via CD-Rom. I wanted to download and transfer some old mac games like Marathon 2 and stuff. Since it can't connect to the internet (i'm not investing more money in it), there's no other way of getting stuff to the laptop.

It was $90 down the drain.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I burned a copy of Mac OS 9 to a CD. I was hoping to be able to install that.

Also, I was planning on transferring files from my desktop machine to the laptop, via CD-Rom. I wanted to download and transfer some old mac games like Marathon 2 and stuff. Since it can't connect to the internet (i'm not investing more money in it), there's no other way of getting stuff to the laptop.

It was $90 down the drain.

I can check but I have system 8.something. It was buggy as hell but if you want to give it a try...

I'll see what disks I can find.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I can check but I have system 8.something. It was buggy as hell but if you want to give it a try...

I'll see what disks I can find.

Thank you for your kindness. I will not be able to use this machine for the reasons I bought it, unless I have a CD-Rom drive. And even with a CD-Rom drive, I now realize that $90 was a horrible ripoff. This machine sells on ebay for $5 - $20.

edit: They're sending me an external CD-Rom drive! Yay!