Apple's new MacBooks have built-in copy protection measures

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 246
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

A poster on another forum said that the MacBooks could download HD content from the iTS, since they have HDCP.

No-one else has confirmed or denied this that I've seen.

We need someone with a new MacBook to rent a HD movie. Anyone out there? (You don't have to watch it straight away, you've got a month... but it'd be good to know if you can download it!)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

TV shows can be bought HD on iTunes. I thought movies were added recently, but I suppose not, so that means this was an SD movie.

I just found this, having to redo the iTS agreement for v8.0.2. I wonder if she was using HDMI in some regard which caused the HDCP to kick in.
    "(xvi) HDMI. An HDCP connection is required in order to view movies (purchased or rented) and TV shows transmitted over HDMI."
    I am seeing HD TV Shows but not movies. I think the article mentioned a projector. I wonder if she used HDMi-to-VGA convertor, like the one below. Perhaps she used an adapter that wasn't HDCP ready, which would make this not an issue with the new MB's HDCP. I'm dying to know the whole story here!
  • Reply 242 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if she used HDMi-to-VGA convertor, like the one below. Perhaps she used an adapter that wasn't HDCP ready, which would make this not an issue with the new MB's HDCP. I'm dying to know the whole story here!

She was converting DisplayPort to VGA.

An adaptor can't be HDCP ready - since the whole point of HDCP is to make sure that a signal can not be accessed for copying. So the projector itself would need to be HDCP ready and thus can't use VGA.

Thanks for checking on the HD movies. I wonder why HDCP was enabled for a standard definition movie?.....
  • Reply 243 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

... Most of the verbal 1% that do have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, as evidenced by a couple of Apple forums the past day or so.

I really don't understand the anger though. People are acting like Apple has somehow suddenly turned to the dark side, but really remember this... Apple has incorporated DRM on iTunes music since day 1. What's new here?

While I wouldn't say it is a very significant point it may be worthwhile to remember that Apple's DRM on Day 1 of iTunes music was a message saying "Please don't steal music". The Fairplay DRM was added later. Day 1 for iTunes was some time before the iTunes Music Store was debuted. That may be the source of the confusion.

In any case this story is really about Apple and the industry in general introducing yet another pointless incompatibility which shows a hostility toward or at least lack of regard for their customers. This change doesn't even have an effect on piracy because NO ONE was pirating any content by capturing the uncompressed HD content. The copyright infringement is done using flaws in how DRM is applied to compressed HD content. So they are closing an attic window while an entire side of the building is missing. In the process of this stupid move they are rendering millions (OK, I don't really know how many but all HD displays sold for over a decade) of previously purchased displays unusable in the future.

Luckily for the industry the subject is sufficiently arcane that it is largely unnoticed how arrogantly they are treating their best customers (i.e. early and even some not so early adopters).
  • Reply 244 of 246
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

I believe, but not positive, that this adapter contains the chip that enables HDCP. So all of your old and new contents with HDCP encoding should be playable.

Sorry, just so I understand what you are saying - if I buy a new MacBook Pro, and connect it to an external DVI display via Apple's mini DisplayPort > DVI adapter, I will be able to view HDCP content on that external display?

Surely the whole point of this discussion is that you can't?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

If it plays when you bought it. It should play in the future.

That goes without saying. But the reason that everyone seems to be getting their knickers in a twist is because their content that did play, isn't playing any more?
  • Reply 245 of 246
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

In any case this story is really about Apple and the industry in general introducing yet another pointless incompatibility which shows a hostility toward or at least lack of regard for their customers.

Nicely put.
  • Reply 246 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Originalme8 View Post

Macrovision is a form of DIGITAL Rights Management. You cannot(at least not to my knowledge) to this date manage analog media. It can only be enforced on content in the Digital form. Once it is converted to analog the digital controller is lost.

Hope that helped...if I am wrong on this feel free to correct me!

My 20 year old VCR says you're wrong.