Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple early Friday morning released iPhone 2.2 Software Update, which delivers a number of improvements and adds Google Street View, public transit and walking directions, and more. A similar update is available for iPod touch users without the new Maps enhancements.

New Features

The update includes all of the features that were outlined in recent weeks, including Emoji icons for Japanese users. Apple has published a page on its website dedicated to the release, and specifically highlights the following enhancements:

Enhancements to Maps

Google Street View: Street View takes you on a virtual walking tour: Navigate street-level photographs of places you've located in Maps.

Public transit and walking directions: Get walking directions, find public transit schedules, check fares, and estimate your travel time.

Display address of dropped pins

Share location via email: Tap the Share Location button to send an email that includes a Google Maps URL.

Decrease in call setup failures and dropped calls

Enhancements to Mail

Resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email

Improved formatting of wide HTML*email

Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular network): Get access to millions of free podcasts on the iTunes Store via Wi-Fi or your cellular network.

Improved stability and performance of*Safari: A new search-friendly user interface, better performance, and more stability make Safari even easier to use.

Improved sound quality of Visual Voicemail messages

Home screen shortcut: pressing Home button from any Home screen displays the first Home screen.

Preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard Settings

iPod touch Software v2.2

Apple has also released a similar update for iPod touch users, however the accounting principles adopted by the company require that it charge for 'new feature' additions to the digital media player. As such, the iPod touch version of the software does not include the Google Maps enhancements and there's no word on when or how Apple plans to ultimately deliver those features.

An iPhone with v2.2 vs. and iPod touch with v2.2 | Image Credit: Gizmodo

Upgrading

To update your iPhone or iPod touch to version 2.2, make sure you are using iTunes 8 and then connect your iPhone or iPod to your computer. When iTunes opens, select your iPhone or iPod under Devices in the Source List on the left.

In the Summary pane, click "Check for Update." Click Download and Install. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 233
    Good morning USA. Half of the europeans have already installed this upgrade by now The other half is waiting because it's not 100% sure yet that the upgrade won't break a jailbreaked iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 233
    The iPod touch update is out also.
  • Reply 3 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriky View Post

Good morning USA. Half of the europeans have already installed this upgrade by now The other half is waiting because it's not 100% sure yet that the upgrade won't break a jailbreaked iPhone.

Pwnage Team is saying it's fine for 2G iPhones without hurting the unlock any jailbroken 3Gs if you create a customs IPSW file with their tool. However, if you would potentially like to jailbreak in the future don't update without using their tool as this will update the Baseband in 3G iPhones. The 2G Bandeband is untouched.

Safari is a dream, again, finally!!! I typed this message on my elitist cellphone.
  • Reply 4 of 233
    Does the touch update include all the maps stuff?
  • Reply 5 of 233
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Nope.

K
  • Reply 6 of 233
    I noticed that at the bottom where it says "Load 25 More" Apple changed it so you could only view the top 100 apps. Now you can keep hitting the button and view all of the apps in that category.
  • Reply 7 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I assume the reasoning is due to non-GAAP accounting. I suspect that the next update will be feature-rich, will include the Maps update and cost you money.
  • Reply 8 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Pwnage Team is saying it's fine for 2G iPhones without hurting the unlock any jailbroken 3Gs if you create a customs IPSW file with their tool. However, if you would potentially like to jailbreak in the future don't update without using their tool as this will update the Baseband in 3G iPhones. The 2G Bandeband is untouched.

Safari is a dream, again, finally!!! I typed this message on my elitist cellphone.

To quote them:
    We believe that our Pwnage technique (and therefore the Jailbreak) isn?t affected, but PwnageTool and QuickPwn do not support this release as yet, so DO NOT install 2.2 using iTunes as you will lose your jailbreak.

PwnageTool and QuickPwn updates will be released as soon as possible that will allow a safe update path to 2.2 the release of these updates is inevitable but not imminent, we are creating the modifications right now and we need to put the new software through the usual testing process.
  • Reply 9 of 233
    The emoji work really well in email (and SMS) but seeminly only to and from other Softbank users - I couldn't get my AU and Docomo-using friends to see them, and nor can I see theirs still. Come on Apple/Softbank, sort it out, this is something *every* Japanese phone can do!

Anybody else had any luck with cross-network emoji?

By the way, the Apple documentation states that you're only allowed to send emoji if your SIM is a Softbank SIM: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2404

Quote:

"Not all customers can create and view Emoji. Emoji can only be sent from an iPhone running OS 2.2 with a SoftBank email account and a SoftBank SIM"

• Reply 10 of 233
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    I installed the 2.2 update (US) on my iPhone 3G, and can't figure out how to activate the street view. What am I missing?
  • Reply 11 of 233
    Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

Lets add features for 1% of our users and ignore the features that 99.99% have been publicly bashing us about not having.

People bash on Microsoft for bloatware and useless features all the time but at least out of the 100 useless things they add to their products the core elements are there that I need.

So how long do we wait for the 2.3 Update so we can find out nothing we want has been added?
  • Reply 12 of 233
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The App Store now displays multiple screenshots, and they are full-screen. WooHoo!
  • Reply 13 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

Lets add features for 1% of our users and ignore the features that 99.99% have been publicly bashing us about not having.

People bash on Microsoft for bloatware and useless features all the time but at least out of the 100 useless things they add to their products the core elements are there that I need.

So how long do we wait for the 2.3 Update so we can find out nothing we want has been added?

The same discussion can been found on most sites. But I've heard people say that the phone is also faster, so I hope that the internals have been worked out now. Maybe, if we are lucky, we don't have to reboot the damn thing every week now.
  • Reply 14 of 233
    Quote:

The same discussion can been found on most sites. But I've heard people say that the phone is also faster, so I hope that the internals have been worked out now. Maybe, if we are lucky, we don't have to reboot the damn thing every week now.

Good point.. mine does seem a bit faster but it also reboots and gets redone during the update, since I never reboot mine I figured that was contributing.

I was happy with this phone but little things are starting to eat away at my perceptions... there is no way they are going to hold off Android with updates like this.
  • Reply 15 of 233
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    So far running well on my iPod Touch. Can't say that I notice any significant improvements in anything. But nothing seems to have been broken either.
  • Reply 16 of 233
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

I assume the reasoning is due to non-GAAP accounting. I suspect that the next update will be feature-rich, will include the Maps update and cost you money.

Apple really need to fire their accountants. The iPod touch generates a continued revenue stream through music, video and applications.

If Microsoft can legally give away massive updates for the Zune and Xbox 360, Apple can give away updates for the iPod touch.

Apple might have great engineers but they've obviously hired a bunch of idiots in their finance team.

(Am I getting too angry about paying $40 a year for software updates? )
  • Reply 17 of 233
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I'm planning on waiting a day or two for the responses from the early adopters.

Quote:

Point updates shouldn't be a problem though.

Quote:

Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean most others won't either. Saying most people won't find it useful because you don't is flawed thinking.

Also, I doubt that really adds much bloat.
  • Reply 18 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean most others won't either. Saying most people won't find it useful because you don't is flawed thinking.

Also, I doubt that really adds much bloat.

I am sure others will but the majority? Given the limited availability of Street View it's FAR less useful to the greater mass than any of the other features that have been requested. The % values were obviously not backed by any real 'polling' data but still get my point across the same as 25% wanting street views and 75% wanting other features would have.

I wasn't stating that these features added bloat, I was stating that even though other products tend to give us a lot of crap we don't need and won't ever use at least they ALSO include the features people will use and do need.
  • Reply 19 of 233
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Yeah but is it snappier?
  • Reply 20 of 233
    Execellent point. All of these updates are fluff, except for the Safari fix. That update was well over due. They need to get rid of this picture messaging problem. If this is a smart phone it should be able to do this application without sending us to a website asking us to put in some weird pass code. Listen to what everyday users have to say instead of big business.

When is the next update going to be, Christmas, New years? I wonder if they are running out of ideas.

Quote: