Alleged iPhone 2.2 leak shows direct podcast downoads

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    gustavgustav Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

This is NOT how they account for iPod touch sales, where 100% of the revenue is take at the time of the sale. Therefore any upgrades need to be paid for or Apple would break the Sawbane-Oxley law.

Well, it would break their interpretation of the law that hasn't been tested in court. Lots of other companies give away free updates to products that add new features. And they're not realizing the revenue of their product sales over two years.

But essentially, yes, that is the reason, whether or not it is valid.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by u2mr2os2 View Post

Subscribing to new podcasts on the phone would be nice as well. Probably not a huge deal to extend the iTunes app to list the podcasts. Bonus if you can do that over the cell network and not only WiFi. Also, it would probably support the "subscribe in iTunes" links on webpages.

Doubt that'll happen. You can't download apps over the network if they're larger than 10mb. Many of the podcasts I listen to are in that range.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Can you delete podcasts from iPhone/Touch without syncing now?

I thought you could in the same way you can delete videos, but the swipe and delete trick didn't work for me just now, so apparently not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

What I don't understand is why the Apple TV upgrade was free whilst major iPod touch upgrades are not.

Perhaps because the touch is a good seller and the Apple TV is not? (Says he who absolutely is in love with his Apple TV)
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Nickle and dime, they are adding new features and y'all still complain. In what way are theyvsaying this is innovative, they are just adding features but yet you still find acway to complain or you think they shouldn't add anything.

Would you consider the ability to forward an SMS a feature or something basic that all "phones" should have? How about voice dialing? Feature or not? I think you can see where this is going. Apple is dropping a basic feature (most phones have had them for years) here and there and marketing them as new and people actually believe that this is hi-end technology. Maybe you can see Cupertino from your house......
  • Reply 44 of 54
    A tasty update if true
  • Reply 45 of 54
    I agree. But hey, we're getting them, slowly but surely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Would you consider the ability to forward an SMS a feature or something basic that all "phones" should have? How about voice dialing? Feature or not? I think you can see where this is going. Apple is dropping a basic feature (most phones have had them for years) here and there and marketing them as new and people actually believe that this is hi-end technology. Maybe you can see Cupertino from your house......

• Reply 46 of 54
    Did anyone else notice that the Podcast sort order in that screenshot was from oldest to newest. For me that's more exciting than being able to download podcasts remotely.

I don't feel like making a playlist every time I want to listen to podcasts in the order they're meant. Or pulling my phone out of my pocket at the end of every episode to go to the next day's show.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

Marketing them, they are just adding the feature, what do you want them to do , not add them at all. I mean they didn't add it from the beginning and are adding it now, why should you even care if it's added, if you don't need it, don't use it. Every phone is missing features, not just the iphone, go and read the forums from Android, blackberries, whatever. I welcome any feature that is added.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Marketing them, they are just adding the feature, what do you want them to do , not add them at all. I mean they didn't add it from the beginning and are adding it now, why should you even care if it's added, if you don't need it, don't use it. Every phone is missing features, not just the iphone, go and read the forums from Android, blackberries, whatever. I welcome any feature that is added.

No matter how you try to defend the iPhone, and of course this is your right. Why not? The fact remains it is one of the more featureless so-called smartphone on the market. As for BB, Android, and the rest, it can be said that while they might miss a feature here or there, at least they have the basics that comprise a smartphone.

I think even you would agree that something like wireless syncing would be more impressive than including "features" that have already been present in real smartphones.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

In addition to what Parky said which was spot on, I would add.

It is NOT true that all telco contracts drive residuals to Apple.

People think that model caused the Touch to have fees, and as Parky explained that's not true.

But also, up to date information on the iPhone contracting with 3G would discount the residual revenue model from many, but not all, of the telcos.

The 2.5G iPhone has attached carrier payments probably little more than $15/mo to Apple. The 3G model is subsidized, Apple receives a lump-sum upfront instead of the recurring payments. That's about $375-$400 which allowed for the price drop.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

No matter how you try to defend the iPhone, and of course this is your right. Why not? The fact remains it is one of the more featureless so-called smartphone on the market. As for BB, Android, and the rest, it can be said that while they might miss a feature here or there, at least they have the basics that comprise a smartphone.

I think even you would agree that something like wireless syncing would be more impressive than including "features" that have already been present in real smartphones.

This is complete bull, who are you to define what features a phone should, the iphone has plenty of features, just because you may not find use for them, doesn't mean someon else won't, the iphone is packed with plenty of features which is why they are selling, go and read some of the blackberry and android phones, they are complaining about features missing and some even want some of the iphone's features, I mean the freaking Android phone doesn't even ship with a video player, if Apple had done that, we would have seen 10 pages of complaints just on that, some of you whine too damn much, Apple can't provide every single feature that you freaking what, if the iphone doesn't have the features that you want, don't get it, I'm sick of people complaining about feature this, feature that, Apple is adding as many features as they can, just because they don't interest you, doesn't mean they don't interest someone else, who are you to define what features a smartphone should have, what you want is not want someone else.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Would this feature include automatically downloading Audible podcasts? Right now iTunes handles it by pulling in the xml feed from Audible, but I'm wondering if Apple would limit this to strictly items found in the Store and not 3rd party. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bpatton View Post

Would this feature include automatically downloading Audible podcasts? Right now iTunes handles it by pulling in the xml feed from Audible, but I'm wondering if Apple would limit this to strictly items found in the Store and not 3rd party. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I don't know that the podcasts found in the store are any different than those that are external. I believe the XML file for Audible subscriptions is simply a RSS feed no different than any other RSS feed. I'd bet that any podcast subscription you can make via iTunes (regardless of if it comes from the iTunes podcast directory or a manual RSS subscription) would be allowed to sync over-the-air.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    can anyone confirm if the 2.2 patch released includes a podcast sort order option (to list&play in chron order instead of newest on top)?

-user123
  • Reply 54 of 54
    love the update 2.2