(SHOUTING)

COPY AND PASTE!! AHHHHH
  • Reply 42 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post

Does anyone else find that they don't have

(SHOUTING)

COPY AND PASTE!! AHHHHH

Yeah but they did say some time ago that wasnt high on their list of priorities.
  • Reply 43 of 233
    Here is an undocumented 'feature' of iPhone 2.2: It drops the addresses of all your saved locations in Maps. All of my saved locations are still there, but the street addresses have been dropped, so they are nothing more than city, state, zip.

I rely on my saved locations for daily work travel to clients, and now I have to revert to get on with my day.

Hey Apple! Major screw-up here!

-Chris
  • Reply 44 of 233
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Can anybody explain why Apple can offer free OS updates for their desktops and laptops without having to use GAAP accounting, but not the iPhone or iPod Touch? I don't see any difference whatsoever.

There was actually at least one OS update that Apple charged for. That was the software that enabled the 802.11n option on the wi-fi cards. The computers shipped with b/g but not n because it wasn't ready yet. Their reasoning for why they had to charge for it was because they were adding a feature you didn't have when you bought the computer. Most of the OS updates are only performance, security, and bug fix updates. They don't really add new features, like adding transit schedules to the Maps application on the iPhone (I suspect it was that and not the StreetView feature that was considered a "new" capability that kept the Maps update off the touch).

That said, it is all a bit silly at this point. Apple is probably being overly cautious. Note that all of this GAAP accounting "strictness" came about when Apple was being investigated for the stock options problems. Perhaps they are being over-protective now? Just put the touch on the same accounting method as the iPhone and AppleTV and be done with it already.
  • Reply 45 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by martinmoorejr View Post

I noticed that at the bottom where it says "Load 25 More" Apple changed it so you could only view the top 100 apps. Now you can keep hitting the button and view all of the apps in that category.

This is true but only for top paid and top free. When u choose to order by 'release date' it will let you go through all apps in that category.
  • Reply 46 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

So how long do we wait for the 2.3 Update so we can find out nothing we want has been added?

I couldn't agree more. It's all fine and dandy to keep on adding flashy features, but for crying out loud can Apple just go ahead and get the basics right too? I would gladly pass aon just about ALL of today's update if Apple would just do this:

1) Cut and paste. It's available on Blackberry Storm and has been around since at least the days of Windows 3.1. So, spare me the maps and let me start cutting and pasting on my iPhone.

2) Email messages AND keyboard that can be flipped to landscape mode while in the Mail program. Why can virtually every app except Mail flip to landscape? WTF?

3) Video recording. It's ridiculous that 5yr old Nokias can record video, yet the most advanced smartphone in the world can't without being jail-broken. With supporting applications like iMovie, video on the iPhone should be a no brainer.

There are others, but these three seem like the priorities to me.

Cheers.
  • Reply 47 of 233
    For the Nth time IPHONE IS NOT CAPABLE OF NORMAL VIDEO CAPTURE. IT'S HARDWARE DOES NOT SUPPORT IT. IF IT DID APPLE WOULD HAVE DONE IT ALREADY. DREAMCATCHER IS NOT PROPER VIDEO CAPURE ITS LOTS OF PICS TAKEN QUICKLY PUT TOGETHER.
  • Reply 48 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

What Dreamcatcher? Thats not really video mate its lots of pics stitched together like basic animation. Thats why the frame rate is slow and choppy.

I've got news for ya, that is how video cameras work. The frame rate is bad, but that is a limitation of the camera. Cycorder, which is available for Jailbroken iPhones is a good option, and is great when used in high light or outdoors.
  • Reply 49 of 233
    Quote:

For the Nth time IPHONE IS NOT CAPABLE OF NORMAL VIDEO CAPTURE. IT'S HARDWARE DOES NOT SUPPORT IT. IF IT DID APPLE WOULD HAVE DONE IT ALREADY. DREAMCATCHER IS NOT PROPER VIDEO CAPURE ITS LOTS OF PICS TAKEN QUICKLY PUT TOGETHER.

Sorry bavlondon2, you are incorrect. iPhone CAN shoot video.

The Qik and Cycorder apps (available for jailbroken iPhones through Cydia) can record audio and video just fine (I've done it on my iPhone). Qik will even immediately upload the video to their website so you can share it with others.

Check out a story here:

http://newteevee.com/2008/06/12/qik-...ble-all-along/
  • Reply 50 of 233
    Quote:

Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

Lets add features for 1% of our users and ignore the features that 99.99% have been publicly bashing us about not having.

People bash on Microsoft for bloatware and useless features all the time but at least out of the 100 useless things they add to their products the core elements are there that I need.

So how long do we wait for the 2.3 Update so we can find out nothing we want has been added?

If you don't like it, then don't download it. Most will find the update useful, street view is handy when you are trying to look for a location that you have not been to before. The other fixes were much needed.

Since you didn't bother to list the "features" that you claim 99.99% have been requesting, then your comment is full of shit.
  • Reply 51 of 233
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    I mostly care about the speed of the iPhone. In other words, is there a lag in Safari, and does it take forever to open an application? Can I click on a contact the second I see it, or will there be a delay? Apple seems to have focused on speed and stability, and that's what will sell iPhones.

I couldn't care less about copy and paste. Frankly, I think it would just be confusing to most people. Of course, I want PUSH notifications, but not if it's going to slow things down.
  • Reply 52 of 233
    Quote:

I am sure others will but the majority? Given the limited availability of Street View it's FAR less useful to the greater mass than any of the other features that have been requested. The % values were obviously not backed by any real 'polling' data but still get my point across the same as 25% wanting street views and 75% wanting other features would have.

I wasn't stating that these features added bloat, I was stating that even though other products tend to give us a lot of crap we don't need and won't ever use at least they ALSO include the features people will use and do need.

Again, you are full of shit. Limited availability of Street View? Have you even used the feature on Google Maps (on the internet)? Turn on the feature and zoom out and you will see that every major city and some smaller areas are completed. Hardly "limited availability."

You may not find it useful, but many others will. Again, you fail to mention the so-called "many other features" that people have requested.
  • Reply 53 of 233
    Anybody know weather this fixes the Audiobooks bug, as in, Music Crashed when 19+ audiobboks were in the audiobooks folder?
  • Reply 54 of 233
    But how many fps and at what res can it capture? For a 3.5 inch screen you would want at least VGA 30fps.
  • Reply 55 of 233
    Quote:

Video is a hardware issue. You wont see video capture at all officially on this.

Video is not a hardware issue. My friends jailbroken phone records video. He had 1st and 2nd gen iphone both with video recording due to jailbreak. He puts videos from his phone on youtube I have watched him. So it isn't hardware, it is apple being stubborn.
  • Reply 56 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Again, you are full of shit. Limited availability of Street View? Have you even used the feature on Google Maps (on the internet)? Turn on the feature and zoom out and you will see that every major city and some smaller areas are completed. Hardly "limited availability."

You may not find it useful, but many others will. Again, you fail to mention the so-called "many other features" that people have requested.

Actually, many more people would use cut, copy, and paste than would know about streetview, or care to use it. Thats just one feature, ther are others like MMS, again, many more people would use that on a daily basis than street view.
  • Reply 57 of 233
    If dropped calls is an AT&T thing then why would Apple, for the second time, claim that their new update addresses dropped calls?
  • Reply 58 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

Video is not a hardware issue. My friends jailbroken phone records video. He had 1st and 2nd gen iphone both with video recording due to jailbreak. He puts videos from his phone on youtube I have watched him. So it isn't hardware, it is apple being stubborn.

Supply a link to the youtube vids will ya? I want to see the quality of them.
  • Reply 59 of 233
    Naturally, it removes jailbreak.. but it did so safely... it simply updated me to 2.2 and removed anything related to jailbreak. It kept my official apps. I live in a city with lots of public transportation (US) and just playing with that initially - it is amazing. It list the buses and light rails and the schedules! "Departs in 6 minutes". I use light rail occasionally, but for those that rely on it - wow! A godsend. Thanks Google and Apple! BTW - for some reason, on the computer - not iPhone, google map doesn't always have "public transport" as an option for directions like it does for driving or walking -- so, use this: http://www.google.com/transit
  • Reply 60 of 233
    After just finding out that Apple released another update, I have to stand pretty disgruntled in even wanting to install it. It seems like it isn't offering anything THAT useful. I also wished they would just write the code for copy and paste already. I wish they would add the feature of the sense of touching something already. If you don't know what I'm talking about. Pick up a Sprint Instinct and navigate the menus. You can feel a lite vibration when you press a key giving the illusion that your manipulating real objects. I agree with the FLUFF comment. If they are going to update a phone's software.... Make it worth downloading.

LR