Apple releases Apple TV 2.3 with AirTunes, third-party remotes

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hkoster1 View Post

I'm streaming music, as I write this, from my AppleTV to speakers directly connected to it and a couple of Airport Expresses in other rooms, all started and controlled from the Remote App on my iPhone, while the ATV itself is in standby mode: light off and no output to the attached TV. Santa Claus came early this year, I can't think of anything more...

That's great if you live in a mansion or run a hotel but totally useless if you live in an apartment.

Give us something useful Apple related to ATV- pleez.

WHy would anyone seriously want to stream from an ATV when that itself is supposed to be hooked up to your entertainment system in the first place.
  • Reply 82 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Last night I rented a movie and this screen came up, I've never seen it before.

dunno... it might be a 2.3 thing.

That's just a reminder that you've sold your soul to Apple with your AppleTV purchase..
  • Reply 83 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's just a reminder that you've sold your soul to Apple with your AppleTV purchase..

oh ok... I was wondering why I looked a little trimmer this morning.
  • Reply 84 of 107
    BTW: For those who enjoy British comedy. AppleTV / iTunes, added Faulty-Towers, and The IT Crowed. Two hilarious TV shows.
  • Reply 85 of 107
    Quote:

oh ok... I was wondering why I looked a little trimmer this morning.

Actually, I think you saw that because they changed their Terms and Conditions. I got the same message on my computer when I tried to download an episode of The Office last night.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    I agree that Apple TV is kind of a "placeholder" product. However, as an Apple TV owner, I think it's pretty great.

I think that low sales are more likely due to very little marketing, compared with Macs and iPods, as well as a lack of understanding by Apple Store salespeople.

Originally, the Apple TV was just an iPod that connected to your TV more or less permanently. Since last year it has grown into something far more useful.

Putting a DVR in it is a bad idea. It means adding a tuner and greatly complicating the setup of the device.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlieevett View Post

I agree that Apple TV is kind of a "placeholder" product. However, as an Apple TV owner, I think it's pretty great.

I think that low sales are more likely due to very little marketing, compared with Macs and iPods, as well as a lack of understanding by Apple Store salespeople.

Originally, the Apple TV was just an iPod that connected to your TV more or less permanently. Since last year it has grown into something far more useful.

Putting a DVR in it is a bad idea. It means adding a tuner and greatly complicating the setup of the device.

Yes I agree, Apple TV is supposed to replace the TV (in my opinion anyway) and having a DVR is not a good idea.

But I'd like to see some simple features added like reading the reviews that people leave for Movies, TV shows, and Podcasts. All we see now are the star-ratings, to read the reviews one has to go to their computer and search for the Movie in iTunes.

Also being able to play DVDs or BlueRay is a good idea,
  • Reply 88 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlieevett View Post

You must like to shop then.

AppleTV just sits there saying "Give me money , Buy this , Rent that."

And it's meant to add a tuner to it. It's supposed to compliment a home entertainment system not just your TV and that usually means a tuner is involved.
  • Reply 89 of 107
    Quote:

Yes I agree, Apple TV is supposed to replace the TV (in my opinion anyway) and having a DVR is not a good idea.

If it's supposed to replace the TV- how exactly do you plan to watch it without a screen?
  • Reply 90 of 107
    Quote:

That's great if you live in a mansion or run a hotel but totally useless if you live in an apartment.

WHy would anyone seriously want to stream from an ATV when that itself is supposed to be hooked up to your entertainment system in the first place.

Come on teckstud - just because something doesn't benefit you doesn't mean it's of no use to anyone. I don't live in a mansion either. But I have an Airport Express connected to a Tivoli radio in the kitchen, where I can't hear the stereo. Now I don't have to have the G5 upstairs turned on to listen to iTunes stuff on the Tivoli. That's worth something.

I'm all for complaining about the big things that are missing. But slamming what we DO get doesn't seem like a productive way to address what the missing stuff is.
  • Reply 91 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Come on teckstud - just because something doesn't benefit you doesn't mean it's of no use to anyone. I don't live in a mansion either. But I have an Airport Express connected to a Tivoli radio in the kitchen, where I can't hear the stereo. Now I don't have to have the G5 upstairs turned on to listen to iTunes stuff on the Tivoli. That's worth something.

I'm all for complaining about the big things that are missing. But slamming what we DO get doesn't seem like a productive way to address what the missing stuff is.

Well I'm glad it benefits you but seriously how many other owners do you think have really been clamoring for this function to begin with? There are so many other things that need to be addressed way before this- starting with the listing of our own music and videos at the top not bottom of the menus and adding a search function for our files. ANd I'm not going to mention the DVR, Safari , DVD ripping issues that others keep bringing up.

But I'm glad it adds usefullness to your set-up. At least it's not another option to pay/buy from iTunes. Good luck searching your music without an iPhone or iPod Touch though.
  • Reply 92 of 107
    Quote:

Well I'm glad it benefits you but seriously how many other owners do you think have really been clamoring for this function to begin with? There are so many other things that need to be addressed way before this- starting with the listing of our own music and videos at the top not bottom of the menus and adding a search function for our files. ANd I'm not going to mention the DVR, Safari , DVD ripping issues that others keep bringing up.

But I'm glad it adds usefullness to your set-up. At least it's not another option to pay/buy from iTunes. Good luck searching your music without an iPhone or iPod Touch though.

No argument there, like I said, there's plenty of stuff to be addressed. But this is a significant step for the Apple TV to act as a server for other products. It really is.

I have a touch that makes it easier. In fact, I'm writing a post right now about how some of this stuff is starting to come together. The Remote App was one step. This is another.

I heard Leo Laporte and his pals talking the other day about how Apple TV is kind of stalled. I can see Apple letting Boxee and the like come up with ideas and then they can build some of that into Apple TV. I'm still stunned at how much the App Store is like a jailbroken iPhone.

Anyway - I'm glad you're happy for me. There's plenty to complain about, just not new features!
  • Reply 93 of 107
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

I live in an apartment... I have an Airport Express in my bedroom and another connecting speakers on the front porch. My AppleTV is connected to the TV and home stereo in the living room. My computer sits in the dining room. It's nice to be able to stream music to anywhere and everywhere I am. And yes I could blast the speakers connected to the home stereo so I could hear my music everywhere, but living in an old apartment makes it difficult to do so without disturbing the neighbors. Chances are, if I can hear it in my bedroom, the neighbors downstairs are also going to hear it.

Having this feature added also means I now have a second source to stream music from; I can play one thing in the living room and something different on the porch. And since Apple released Remote for iPhone it makes controlling all of this a much easier and seamless experience.
  • Reply 94 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I live in an apartment... I have an Airport Express in my bedroom and another connecting speakers on the front porch. My AppleTV is connected to the TV and home stereo in the living room. My computer sits in the dining room. It's nice to be able to stream music to anywhere and everywhere I am. And yes I could blast the speakers connected to the home stereo so I could hear my music everywhere, but living in an old apartment makes it difficult to do so without disturbing the neighbors. Chances are, if I can hear it in my bedroom, the neighbors downstairs are also going to hear it.

Having this feature added also means I now have a second source to stream music from; I can play one thing in the living room and something different on the porch. And since Apple released Remote for iPhone it makes controlling all of this a much easier and seamless experience.

Why would you need 2 Airport Express' in an apartment- why? An ipod and a portable makes more sense to me. Please elaborate.
  • Reply 95 of 107
    Quote:

Why would you need 2 Airport Express' in an apartment- why? An ipod and a portable makes more sense to me. Please elaborate.

Because I like being able to listen to all of my music. Cheaper to buy two Airport Express than an iPod that could hold all of my music. Both Express only cost me $69 each (refurbished). I also have a roommate who likes to play his music as well, so we both can use them.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hkoster1 View Post

I'm streaming music, as I write this, from my AppleTV to speakers directly connected to it and a couple of Airport Expresses in other rooms, all started and controlled from the Remote App on my iPhone, while the ATV itself is in standby mode: light off and no output to the attached TV. Santa Claus came early this year, I can't think of anything more...

Ditto. This update was indeed timely. I had a party yesterday and it was great to have music streaming from the ATV in the den to the Living room. I was prepared to have my Mac streaming to both, but this update made that unecessary.

AppleTV is sweet, and keeps getting sweeter.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Because I like being able to listen to all of my music. Cheaper to buy two Airport Express than an iPod that could hold all of my music. Both Express only cost me $69 each (refurbished). I also have a roommate who likes to play his music as well, so we both can use them.

And for that set-up I loose my files at the top of the AppleTV's menus as a priority? You rule!
  • Reply 98 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Ditto. This update was indeed timely. I had a party yesterday and it was great to have music streaming from the ATV in the den to the Living room. I was prepared to have my Mac streaming to both, but this update made that unecessary.

AppleTV is sweet, and keeps getting sweeter.

YOu must love buying and renting iTunes then?
  • Reply 99 of 107
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    You know what, at our house we'd rent WAY more movies if they were available. But 10 times in the last month we've gone on Apple TV and nothing but suck. Nothing but a few additions and nothing we've wanted.

Sucks. I want to rent movies, give me some love Apple. This thing is just heating up the house, which I guess in the winter is ok....lol
  • Reply 100 of 107
    Quote:

And for that set-up I loose my files at the top of the AppleTV's menus as a priority? You rule!

Uh yeah, Apple called me and said that a lot of people really wanted the "My <media>" selection at the top of the menus, but they wanted to get my opinion first and asked what feature I wanted most on the AppleTV. So I told them having the ability to stream music to my "AirTunes" speakers around my apartment would be freaken sweet.

Unfortunately, for you, they liked my idea better. So, yes, you lose. Isn't life grand!? And please keep in mind, your miserable experience with your AppleTV isn't indicative of how every one else feels about the product. I have no issue with "My Movies" being at the bottom of the list, the AppleTV remembers the last selection and always has it selected when it returns to each menu.

Anyone with any bright ideas can go here -> http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

I've submitted several, albeit, maybe not so bright ideas.