Apple authorizes MMS on the iPhone, but not for US users

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

He doesn't like Apple, I would take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Boy was I wrong. Here I was hoping to get real shit and just asked to give a little background so I could post in our paper.

I normally don't misjudge people that often.

Thanks for the heads up.

I must say though, I did appreciate him sending me that 'dictionary' link. Considering that he responded so quickly, he must use it a lot.

I wonder if he ever looked up "libel?"
  • Reply 102 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Moi Jarrko,

Are you talking about Sonera rates, DNA or Elisa? Rumor has it that Sonera is scrambling to rework their contract with Apple due to the high number of pre-cancellations they have received by iPhone owners.

I don't know anything about the rumours. I frequent these forums out of interest to Apple products and business models but am not religious on Apple or other vendors. Personally I don't own the iPhone (I have a distaste for having my phone bound to a subscription). If it were unbundled without "hacks" I might have a go at it.

I'm talking about Saunalahti rates (a MVNO of Elisa). They use Elisa's network so the coverage is the same as Elisa's. And like I stated (or at least tried to), they are deals without a ball-and-chain phone subscription.

For the data stuff (in finnish only):

http://saunalahti.fi/gsm/gsmdatapaketti.php

For the voice stuff (in finnish only):

http://saunalahti.fi/gsm/gsmykkonen.php

Elisa

Similar rates (a bit higher though):

Montly fee 1.99 EUR + 0.079?/minute or SMS. + 9.90? for unlimited 384kbps data.

(512k = 14.90, 1M = 19.90, 2M = 29.90, 5M = 35?)

Their package builder at: http://paketti.elisa.fi/osta/?phone=EIPUH&pack=122

For Sonera:

You have to go through their "subscription builder" and bind yourself to 24 months with the iPhone +445,80 EUR up front for the phone

Or with package deals (1? for phone):

Small package: 31.69 EUR/mo including 100 minutes + 100 SMSs + 100MB of data

Medium: 51,49 EUR/mo, 250/250/250

Large: 89.99 EUR/mo 1000/1000/1000

All include WLAN access via Sonera's WLAN hotspots and partners.

You can use the "builder" at:

https://kauppa.sonera.fi/yksityisille/raatali/ (month = kk, puhe= voice, liittymä ilman puhelinta = subscription without phone)

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 103 of 110
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

What backwards phones are you talking about. Phones had email (at least phones in Europe and the rest of the forward thinking cellular world) before there was MMS.

But nobody used it, because it required technical knowledge to set up. SMS/MMS just worked out of the box with no setup needed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

I am not sure I would use it much even if it was FREE-to me it is no less rude when someone in a restaurant or movie theatre is typing away on their cell phones than it is to carry on a full blown conversation.

It is less rude. Texting doesn't disturb other people around you, while a phone call does.

Of course, in class, texting is rude for a different reason: because you're not paying attention to the lecturer. But it doesn't have the distraction aspect that a phone call does.

Amorya
  • Reply 104 of 110
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

ROFLMAO! Awesome pic. It's funny 'cuz it's true.

• Reply 105 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

He doesn't like Apple, I would take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Your ignorance is only superseded by your stupidity. Having an opposing opinion about a product does not mean hating something. Maybe you can take a look at that link I sent. Unlike you who slurps down everything Apple brings forth, I question and ask why this and why not that. Why not something better. You are happy with mediocrity which lends a peek into your sad, lonely life, middle of the road, no independent thought way of living. It suits you. I have my iPhone as well as my Nokia N85. I like them both, and have no aspirations to love them as they are simply an means to an end. You on the other hand find validation in an out dated piece of metal and plastic. Both devices do things well but neither excels, nor were they meant to otherwise they would.

So by all means, continue to think I hate Apple, just like I will continue to think that you live in Steve Jobs' pants. As for taking anything I say with a grain of salt, I am still waiting for you to post something of interest.
  • Reply 106 of 110
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

mms: over-priced - prefer email. don't even use it on the phone i have that can do it.

video recording: not interested in it on any phone. for casual use i use my panasonic camera with full-res photo jpeg quicktimes no even instead of my mini-dv camera. the iphone camera suffices fine for spur-of-the-moment happy-snapping.

video calling: gimmick. again, don't use it on a capable phone.

changeable memory card: don't need it when i have 16gb.

all my own personal opinion, of course.
  • Reply 107 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

mms: over-priced - prefer email. don't even use it on the phone i have that can do it.

The point is compatibility. If someone sends me an MMS I don't want to have to go to the O2 website to pick it up. I also want to be able to send a picture to someone else who may not have a smartphone.

Quote:

video recording: not interested in it on any phone. for casual use i use my panasonic camera with full-res photo jpeg quicktimes no even instead of my mini-dv camera. the iphone camera suffices fine for spur-of-the-moment happy-snapping.

I'm not so bothered about the lack of video, but I wish it had a better camera. I like my Cybershot for the fact I can take a half-decent picture for my blog/Flickr/etc without it looking horribly blurry around the edges due to the low quality lens. Nothing due to the megapixels, I think 2MP is plenty for a phone.

Quote:

video calling: gimmick. again, don't use it on a capable phone.

Agreed. I didn't get a 3G phone for ages because I didn't see the point in all this video phone lark.

Quote:

changeable memory card: don't need it when i have 16gb.

I suppose the 'good' thing about a phone is that most of it is paid for by contract. Therefore by the time 16GB isn't enough, it's time to upgrade anyway. If anything, there should be a memory card slot on the iPod Touch.

Quote:

all my own personal opinion, of course.

Fair opinions! and what about Bluetooth data transfer? That's the other one that gets my goat.

And how is one supposed to take a picture of oneself when it's impossible to find the button?
  • Reply 108 of 110
    For the simple interoperability issue, as long as MMS is not featured, I am not interested in the iPhone. Even though the iPhone is cheaper than the Sony-Ericsson phones I am considering, the lack of MMS precludes it from serious consideration for my wife and I. The reality is that the majority of people my wife knows and sends MMS messages to do not have iPhones, so email isn't a viable alternative, and since my wife uses MMS to send me pictures and video of our daughter when I am at work, I am not about to be deprived of those pictures of our almost 1 year old. My wife is, ironically considering Apple's "it just works" approach to the Mac, someone who is gladly a Mac user but is not willing or open to considering an iPhone because none of the workarounds for MMS just work.
  • Reply 109 of 110
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

The point is compatibility. If someone sends me an MMS I don't want to have to go to the O2 website to pick it up. I also want to be able to send a picture to someone else who may not have a smartphone.

that's fair enough, for ppl who are in the habit of using mms.i never got into the habit of using mms because they are so damn expensive. with 3G data rates coming down and more and more email-capable phones around, there's less and less reason to as well, in my view.

but i think it's something that can be gotten around easily - i just send photos to email addresses (both phone and non-phone) rather than to phone numbers. not quite as instant for email-incapable phones, but serves the same purpose.
  • Reply 110 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

that's fair enough, for ppl who are in the habit of using mms.i never got into the habit of using mms because they are so damn expensive. with 3G data rates coming down and more and more email-capable phones around, there's less and less reason to as well, in my view.

MMS is just a data format. As far as I know it can be sent over a 3G network in the same way as a GSM network. Also, I don't know a single friend of mine who has a smart phone. My Sony Ericsson phone can be set up to receive email, but why would I want to set it up to be checking all of my email and receiving loads of stuff and other attachments? I'd have to set up a specific email address for pictures, then tell everyone else that if they want to send me a picture to my phone please email me at... etc etc. With MMS the photo/sound/video is pushed to my mobile number. Isn't that much much simpler? Without MMS I'd miss out on a tonne of funny pictures my friends send me, and vice versa.

Quote:

but i think it's something that can be gotten around easily - i just send photos to email addresses (both phone and non-phone) rather than to phone numbers. not quite as instant for email-incapable phones, but serves the same purpose.

I think it loses the spontaneity completely. I would miss it, I know I would. The iPhone has just a few too many features missing for me, or I would take the plunge. It glosses over these omissions with clever marketing tricks that are telling you "who cares, look it's shiny and it has a touch screen. You'll be so busy using all the cool stuff you won't notice what we've not bothered to put in." Sorry Apple, I have. Do not want.