Help - Powerbook Battery/Leopard Problem

g$mg$m
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hoping someone could give me some advice.

I have a Powerbook G4(1.1) w/1.5Ghz processor, 2GB RAM, running Leopard 10.5.1

My AC Adapter crapped out the other day, the wire from the brick to the laptop burned through and smoked...

obviously I threw it away and purchased a new one.

But now my battery won't charge at all... even the light on the connector stays green rather than orange.

The battery indicator shows "0%".

Could the battery have been damaged when the wire shorted?

Not a big deal I can go buy a new battery but the real question is that now after this incident when my computer goes to sleep it won't wake up again.

To be more specific, once it goes to sleep and I try to wake it, the screen flashes like it is waking and the open programs are visible briefly, but the keyboard/trackpad are unresponsive and then within a few seconds the screen blacks out again and it goes back to sleep.

The only way for me to get out of this cycle is to restart but sometimes I can't even do that by holding the power button down so I am forced to unplug...

Any ideas? could this all be battery or OS Related?

Thanks in advance.

-G

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g$m View Post

My AC Adapter crapped out the other day, the wire from the brick to the laptop burned through and smoked...

But now my battery won't charge at all... even the light on the connector stays green rather than orange.

Not a big deal I can go buy a new battery but the real question is that now after this incident when my computer goes to sleep it won't wake up again.

To be more specific, once it goes to sleep and I try to wake it, the screen flashes like it is waking and the open programs are visible briefly, but the keyboard/trackpad are unresponsive and then within a few seconds the screen blacks out again and it goes back to sleep.

The only way for me to get out of this cycle is to restart but sometimes I can't even do that by holding the power button down so I am forced to unplug...

Thanks in advance.

-G

Hi

Did you ever get an answer for this ?

I'm not aware of any problems I've had (e.g. power failure) but since installing Leopard I have no battery power whatsoever and while my PowerBook is fine until I close the lid - when I do so and reopen it I get perhaps 3 seconds before it goes to sleep.

Would be great if you found the solution.

Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I also have the same exact experience with my powerbook g4 15inch running on Leopard. And even until now, I havent got any answer yet on how to solve the problem.

I wonder you guys have already resolve this. Mind if you could share.

I'm afraid my logic board is screwed up. I hope not.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Thanks in advance.

-G

Hello,

This case is very critical. With electric shocks many electronic components are easily burned. You are lucky that your only adapter is burned. And your battery is damaged also. Is your notebook in warranty if it is than run to warranty center. If its not than simple change its battery. Lithium-ion batteries are best for notebooks. One more thing is connect your notebook on stabilizer. Its best for electronic components and save from electronic shocks.