my supercomputers can't find the time to update folder views

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Why won't OSX perform live update folder views?

On network shares, I practically have to unmount and remount the share to get it to show me a refreshed file listing.

It doesn't even update it's own folders without reactivating the window and selecting stuff. It's like you have to wake it up and ask it to tell you what's new in the folder. Pretty much a pain in the ass.

I started using OSX as my main production Mac OS on my Pismo, and my two dualG4 towers. It has a world of promise, however, until then, I find working in OSX to be pretty painful.

I'm adapting to the cluttered "workflow" but I'm not fond of it. The beachball is always showing up and browsing the web is just flat out slow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Are you going to share your aggravation with us by posting one thread for each and every bug you've found in OS X?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>Are you going to share your aggravation with us by posting one thread for each and every bug you've found in OS X?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Pipe down pimpleface. These are very specific problems I am having using OSX in a production environment. Go back to the "future hardware" forum.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: sodamnregistered ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Actually, I'm not there much. Sorry, but it seemed like every time I posted a comment, there was another thread. Lighten up a bit. Then again, I should have added a smiley to get a different tone across.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Ok bucko, here's somebody who hasn't had a pimple face for about 30 years!

I find it strange no matter what your problem you try to get help by insulting the people here and assuming a negative posture to OS X.

OS X isn't finished ( but almost ) duh ! And it still has bugs we all know about. These are are ones I haven't heard about yet. So, have you emailed these discriptions to Apple where they might do some good?

I find it strange that you had to start 3 threads instead of putting them all into one and saying " hey guys I need some help ".

Or are you the type that just likes to stir up forums ( notice I omitted the troll reference )?

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 12
    well, I think a good point to infer would be that apple should add a 'refresh' command to the finder like Windows has had for a while.

My programmer and I work on a system for internal testing of our WebObjects apps prior to deployment. I have AppleShare and Windows sharing setup on the box, so we each have the server volume mounted on our desktops, and we save our updated files directly to it, but sometimes, like he says, it takes the damn thing minutes to refresh the view.

well, for me at least. He can just hit refresh, since he develops on a Windows box.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    aslanaslan Posts: 97member
    [quote]Pipe down pimpleface. These are very specific problems I am having using OSX in a production environment. Go back to the "future hardware" forum.<hr></blockquote>

Ooohhh... Testy are we?

Geezus this is the second time you have been insulting to the people you are asking help from? Just don't learn do you....

As if none of the other people here do any work in OS X....

OH... you develop on Windows... that explains the prognatic jaw and unwarranted aggression! (back at cha cutie!)

It seems to me that when this occurs on my system, I can usually get it to refresh by command-titlebaring out one directory level and then "reopening" the directory from the resulting window.

BTW, the Finder sucks for messing with FS navigation and mucking. Use the terminal! Oh wait... its UNIX not DOS... (hee hee couldn't resist)... come on though the CLI is better for crap if you are a programmer anyways....

• Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by M3D Jack:

<strong>well, I think a good point to infer would be that apple should add a 'refresh' command to the finder like Windows has had for a while.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would think that ideally, no manual refresh would be needed; that the system will know to refresh its contents, especially when the contents or their representation in the GUI have been altered in some way. The effect should be immediate. I've only had this problem with the Desktop in OS X, and most of the time, clicking on it refreshes the view.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    3 posts...

...is this macintosh?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    [quote]Originally posted by BuonRotto:

<strong>

I would think that ideally, no manual refresh would be needed; that the system will know to refresh its contents, especially when the contents or their representation in the GUI have been altered in some way. The effect should be immediate. I've only had this problem with the Desktop in OS X, and most of the time, clicking on it refreshes the view.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It has mostly been on remote AppleShare volumes with me. Sometimes, even after unmounting and mounting the same volume again I couldn't get it to update the contents and permissions properly, however if I went in to look at it with Terminal.app everything was fine.
  • Reply 10 of 12

<strong>

It has mostly been on remote AppleShare volumes with me. Sometimes, even after unmounting and mounting the same volume again I couldn't get it to update the contents and permissions properly, however if I went in to look at it with Terminal.app everything was fine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So it's not a OS X issue, rather specifically a Finder one. So the Finder's crap, what else is new?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Doesn't that make it an OS X issue then? I mean, the Finder is Apple's self proclaimed crown jewel.
  • Reply 12 of 12

<strong>Doesn't that make it an OS X issue then? I mean, the Finder is Apple's self proclaimed crown jewel.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Duh, well of course it's an OS X issue as opposed to an OS 9 or Win XP one, but it's not an issue of the OS X system but rather the Finder application. And we all know the Finder sucks, not just at this. I'm just surprised that people are surprised.

But I agree, a standard "Refresh" button or menu item would pretty much solve this problem. Has anyone reported at the OS X feedback page yet? God knows I'm too lazy to.. =)