Microsoft developing NVIDIA-based mobile phone - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    The hardware specs are pretty much irrelevent. It's Direct3D and the .NET APIs that Microsoft cares about. They're going to make it really easy to port software from the XBox to this machine, and make every Windows developer feel comfortable developing for it.

Compared to Android's obscurity and the iPhone's Objective-C oddball nature, developing games on this thing is going to feel like a breath of fresh air to a lot of developers. Don't underestimate that...
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sreehemanth View Post

May be it will be called "Microsoft Brick Phone" !! ... that would be so awwwesome!

That would make it the MBP.

I thought people only buy those from Apple?
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

The hardware specs are pretty much irrelevent. It's Direct3D and the .NET APIs that Microsoft cares about. They're going to make it really easy to port software from the XBox to this machine, and make every Windows developer feel comfortable developing for it.

Compared to Android's obscurity and the iPhone's Objective-C oddball nature, developing games on this thing is going to feel like a breath of fresh air to a lot of developers. Don't underestimate that...

Oh right, developing games the xBox is a real breath of fresh air al right. Hehehehehehe
  • Reply 24 of 66
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Oh right, developing games the xBox is a real breath of fresh air al right. Hehehehehehe

I'm not sure what you're laughing at. If you compare developing on the XBox to developing on Nintendo or the Sony PS2, it was hugely, immensely, dramatically easier and more familiar. That's pretty much WHY anyone bothered developing for it. So yes, developing for the XBox was a real breath of fresh air.

I'm worried that Microsoft still understands developers a lot better than the iPhone SDK folks do, and even if the first phone in this line fails that they're going to rapidly build up some must-have apps and die-hard developers to drive sales of version 2 and 3.
  • Reply 25 of 66
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Let's not get too smug fellow iPhone lovers. The year of having the field to ourselves has past, and along with a slew of wannabes is the new touch screen Blackberry with tactile feedback on the virtual keyboard, something Apple should have done already. Yeah, I know, the Mac universe surrounding the iPhone cannot be duplicated by RIM, but a lot of kids like physical keys for texting, and this innovation bridges the gap. Apple cannot rest on its laurels and must leapfrog the competition again to avoid becoming just one of many great smart phones.

Total agree, apple must continue to push the threshold. And these other companies will push them to do that. Maybe they will use there new process for making their MacBook, and use it on the next iphone!
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:

I thought people only buy those from Apple?

Only the smart ones!
  • Reply 28 of 66
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    And what's gon' happen to Windows Mobile, these guys are a joke.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If this is true then MS will kill what's left of Windows Mobile. Once they start optimizing their software to run on their hardware, phone manufacturer who uses WinMo will look at the alternative (Android).

I think MS already sees that handset manufacturers will not be eager to use their OS when they have Android as a FREE option. I think MS realizes that Apple, Blackberry and Android will dominate the phone market unless they act quickly and execute well.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    I also pray Apple isn't resting on its laurels, hoping the brand/community will carry it through with minimal updates for the next 5 years.

I know Microsoft have screwed up time and time again, but.... fire enough bullets and one is gonna hit.

There is a certain amount of promise in their Surface technology (the UI and the physical interaction) and the Zune isn't exactly an international effort at the moment either

so they have time to 'reposition' the brand and publicity. As for the Blackberry storm, the reviews may be turdulous but inital sales and interest appears to be very good.

The point is... don't get too comfortable, you've got to fight to stay at the top and Microsoft have a real chance to compete.

Competition is good for us all in the end but it could get messy.

Imagine if they were to take the good elements from the XBox, Zune and Surface and combine them with what appears to be decent specs,

grouped with multiple carriers, new 'partnerships' and the missing iPhone features. That kind of product could turn a few heads.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    This is probably not new, but I can't stop laughing at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRKIDdIaFyE

(Microsoft's zunePhone)

It's dated 2007 but so true on so many levels.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

LOL....I can almost see the "I am a brick" commercial from MS.

Yeah - "I'm a Brick" - and they'll open with Bill in a Burger King ordering a Whopper. Then he'll sit down and George Bush will walk past, noticing Bill sitting there.... both of them being "regular guys" together.

See - I too can be "original"

:-)

ZunePhone = zPhone
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dazabrit View Post

I also pray Apple isn't resting on its laurels, hoping the brand/community will carry it through with minimal updates for the next 5 years.

What makes you (and the others) think that this is even a remote possibility?
  • Reply 35 of 66
    I agree, considering that the iphone/ipod touch, is one of their biggest breakthroughs I doubt there will let them hang out to dry. Just the app store alone created a whole new world, for what a phone can do.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What makes you (and the others) think that this is even a remote possibility?

No real reason to be honest, but... 'anything is a possibility' and I don't want Apple to screw it up at the last hurdle, so to speak. Microsoft could create a killer product and Apple could be somewhat lazy. I'm hoping neither is the case

Judging by the patents that keep cropping up, we have nothing to be worried about.

I'm personally hoping for:

PA Semi Magic Chips

Additional Sensors

Better Optics & iSight Video Capability

Increased Storage

Increased RAM

Some Interesting Peripherals (Magnetic Face plates? Buttons for Businesses, Gamers & Whiners etc...)

OS Refinements

Added Software Features (Copy and Paste )
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I'm worried that Microsoft still understands developers a lot better than the iPhone SDK folks do, and even if the first phone in this line fails that they're going to rapidly build up some must-have apps and die-hard developers to drive sales of version 2 and 3.

I'm pretty sure MicroSoft doesn't understand much of anything anymore, let alone developers on a phone platform.

They have been pushing for YEARS, a platform they felt could rule the world.

Most serious developers won't go NEAR windows mobile, so one of the things I'm laughing at is YOU.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I agree, considering that the iphone/ipod touch, is one of their biggest breakthroughs I doubt there will let them hang out to dry. Just the app store alone created a whole new world, for what a phone can do.

Create a place where developers can sell their games.

The iPhone is a gaming toy and has no practical business solutions.

Trust me I'm a 1st and 2nd Gen owner.

MS knows what business users want and that's where they will have the advantage.

Steve is still trying to figure out ME.com.

Give us background Push for apps.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure MicroSoft doesn't understand much of anything anymore, let alone developers on a phone platform.

They have been pushing for YEARS, a platform they felt could rule the world.

Most serious developers won't go NEAR windows mobile, so one of the things I'm laughing at is YOU.

Well you don't have to be a jerk about it, but yeah, in terms of worldwide marketshare, Windows Mobile has underperformed pretty dramatically, considering.

It's pretty amazing, when you think about it. Microsoft has tremendous resources, and has had many years to make a dent, and they haven't done much. In the US, WM is doing 'okay', but most everywhere else? Nope.

• Reply 40 of 66
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member