Apple stock surges on belief MacBooks "peel away" Windows users

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Investors returned to Apple shares in force on Monday and sent the stock climbing a massive 12.5 percent after reports said Apple was likely to profit on a wave of converts to its new aluminum MacBooks.

A research note by investment analyst Yair Reiner of Oppenheimer & Co. set the blueprint for the dramatic $10.37 gain in Apple's stock over the trading day as he believed the new, unibody designs and their built-in media features were enough to attract a fresh round of buyers and persuade Reiner to raise his estimates for Apple's earnings per share during the holiday season's quarter from $1.36 to $1.39.

The one-piece metal design is alluring enough that it should "continue to peel away users from the Windows mold" despite many either being short on cash or just hesitant to buy in the current climate, he says.

In turn, JP Morgan's Mark Moskowitz was more aggressive still, boosting his own valuation from a cautious $1.29 per share to $1.38 based on the same predictions of strong performance for the MacBook line.

Both researchers are nonetheless cautious and still expect a downturn. JP Morgan and Oppenheimer alike lowered their estimates for iPhone sales, while Moskowitz has also downplayed expectations for iPods despite the usual spike in sales that comes with holiday shopping.

The launch is helped in no small part by news of additional US government aid for Citigroup, which helped the entire Dow Jones surge about $397 in Monday trading. Nonetheless, early sales data also supports the claims, with October Mac sales spiking by 28 percent in October despite the new MacBook and MacBook Pro only being made available for sale during the last half of the month.

Separately, one researcher speaking to AppleInsider has also estimated that Apple could easily blow past expectations for the quarter based on the hidden value of its deferred revenue from iPhones and a likely better-than-anticipated performance for the Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Oppenheimer & Co, ahem.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    While I'm glad to read a positive note about the new MacBook sales as Apple-based forums are inundated with a "sky is falling" attitude from the loss of FW400 (despite my feelings that this is Apple's best MB ever), the market jump today leads me to believe that any news about Apple notebooks had little to no effect on its surge.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    The most manipulated stock I've ever seen. The shorters are getting ready to short this stock in a few days. I am taking my gain and I'm out.

It won't matter how well Apple sells anymore.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    I could have told these investors ages ago the laptops would sell like hot cakes. It's not rocket science, why are these stupid investors surprised? why is anyone surprised!
  • Reply 5 of 81
    APL has been tracking the DJIA for a while now. See the chart below.

Today was just a bullish day for all the stocks in the DJIA, and Apple fared accordingly.

The speculation that the stock went up because an analyst said MacBooks will steal market share is just BS.

• Reply 6 of 81
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The one-piece metal design is alluring enough that it should "continue to peel away users from the Windows mold" despite many either being short on cash or just hesitant to buy in the current climate, he says.

In turn, JP Morgan's Mark Moskowitz was more aggressive still, boosting his own valuation from a cautious $1.29 per share to $1.38 based on the same predictions of strong performance for the MacBook line.

Well, Good morning.. had a goodnight sleep?!
  • Reply 7 of 81
    Meanwhile... Microsoft's marketshare slowly starts slipping away...
  • Reply 8 of 81
    I'm not sure I agree about the reason for Apple's stock price jump. It's following exactly the same trend as the NASDAQ as a whole. I would say the explanation given in this article has nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post

Today was just a bullish day for all the stocks in the DJIA, and Apple fared accordingly.

The speculation that the stock went up because an analyst said MacBooks will steal market share is just BS.

Frumious BS
  • Reply 10 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

I'm not sure I agree about the reason for Apple's stock price jump. It's following exactly the same trend as the NASDAQ as a whole. I would say the explanation given in this article has nothing to do with it.

Agree with you 100%, almost every stock was up today but Apple is gaining market share like crazy from laptop users though, Most people are ether buying macbooks or netbooks that don't even run windows, just look at Amazon top seller under laptops and you will see
  • Reply 11 of 81
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

Meanwhile... Microsoft's marketshare slowly starts slipping away...

Slowly.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Agree with you 100%, almost every stock was up today but Apple is gaining market share like crazy from laptop users though, Most people are ether buying macbooks or netbooks that don't even run windows, just look at Amazon top seller under laptops and you will see

But they can install Windows if they choose to. While their is no way of telling the reason for the Windows purchases except to look at some anecdotal replies at Amazon, Windows is topping the software charts at #1 and #2. OS X Leopard is #9, VM Ware Fusion 2 is #19 and Parallels #87. There is no evidence to support how these VMs are being used or how many buy netbooks or Macs to use with illegally downloaded versions of Windows, so all the numbers are a bit moot, but I did find the Fusion number to be much higher than I would have expected, which bodes well for Macs being used by switchers.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    It was a up day for stocks all around and the news that Apple is expected to get more sales from the new MacBooks is not surprising given the fact I even helped Apple by buying a MacBook on Friday.

Now I have to go back to the Apple store and see if they will price match the $100.00 sale that Best Buy is having.....
  • Reply 14 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikeske View Post

Now I have to go back to the Apple store and see if they will price match the $100.00 sale that Best Buy is having.....

They won't, but using a student discount is better than the Best Buy discount in all or almost all cases. I think even Amazon is better as you probably won't have to pay tax and they tend to offer discounts.

PS: Does anyone else who buys Macs or other PCs refuse the damn printer that is always offered? I always get the strangest looks for not wanting the printer.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    I call b-s on the attribution of some firm-specific event for AAPL's share price move. With a Beta of 2+, AAPL would be expected to move, on average, 2+% for every 1% change in the S&P.

The S&P went up 6.5% percentage points today. So, AAPL came out just about even.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Nice two day chart!
  • Reply 17 of 81
    Quote:

Agreed. BS report, just following market trends.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Its funny how people don't follow market trends when the stock is down.

They will argue the stock is down because the iPhone doesn't have copy and paste or the Apple is killing firewire, or whatever other gripe people have with Apple.

In reality you look across the market and everybody's down.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkExpensive View Post

Agreed. BS report, just following market trends.

• Reply 19 of 81
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its funny how people don't follow market trends when the stock is down.

They will argue the stock is down because the iPhone doesn't have copy and paste or the Apple is killing firewire, or whatever other gripe people have with Apple.

In reality you look across the market and everybody's down.

Well said, I just have to laugh at some of the reasoning on this board sometimes.
  • Reply 20 of 81
    Quote:

Absolutely right. Anyone thick enough to credit an analyst's statement for today's rise has no business commenting.