Microsoft developing NVIDIA-based mobile phone - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Quote:

"What do you get if you take an iPhone, remove the clean UI, user friendliness, nice industrial design, battery life, cachet, functional OS, and in general everything else that makes it worthwhile?," writes the Inquirer. "The new Microsoft phone, powered by NVIDIA."

This statement make me puke! Why would the writer uses the iPhone as an example and say, the new MS phone powered by Nvidia?

And does this mean that MS will develop its own ZunePhone? Such a hypocrite, I remember someone at MS says that they won't be developing their own Phone cause they got such a great OS blah blah blah blah.

Quote:

Let's see... Microsoft first had WindowsCE. That was a steaming pile.

Next, they had (or renamed it to) Windows Mobile. That was really a joke.

Now, let's take what we learned from the previous two attempts and add phone functionality on top of that... we have a winner!

Nothing to see here folks... move along.

Haha that's funny, and when an interview is conducted to MS employees asking about people opinion towards the company move to develop their own Phone, they will say "Well, people start talking about us again". . . . . . . .
  • Reply 62 of 66
    This cannot not suck. It will contain nothing that hasn't been done before and a lot better, and iPhone OS, Android, RIM and probably everything else out there will hammer it.

And once again all existing WinMobile users get flushed down the toilet in the name of "innovation," just as with each successive version, not to mention Vista ignoring legacy WinMobiles.

All that matters is what is is called, so we can come up with derogatory names.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    The original article: http://http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/21/microsoft-phone-nvidia cites its information from a YOUTUBE VIDEO!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WazA77xcf0A

This is a hoax. You guys gotta check your facts and not be so lazy.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I'm not sure what you're laughing at. If you compare developing on the XBox to developing on Nintendo or the Sony PS2, it was hugely, immensely, dramatically easier and more familiar. That's pretty much WHY anyone bothered developing for it. So yes, developing for the XBox was a real breath of fresh air.

I'm worried that Microsoft still understands developers a lot better than the iPhone SDK folks do, and even if the first phone in this line fails that they're going to rapidly build up some must-have apps and die-hard developers to drive sales of version 2 and 3.

Good post!

You are right that Microsoft did a really good job with the 360. It's a dramatically better product for game development than Sony's developer-hostile consoles. I think the 360 is the best product Microsoft has made by a long chalk. (although it has a few faults!)

The XBox team came from behind and had an aggressive and competitive attitude.

But if you look at Windows Mobile, and we see a different Microsoft. This Microsoft clearly does not understand the mobile space. To make a "handheld" version of Windows, complete with task-manager, shows a deep mis-understanding of the consumer space.

The evolution of the mobile OS is frenzied. But what are Microsoft doing?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10048061-56.html

Spend a few minutes with Cocoa touch, and you realize how far ahead Apple really is.

C.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    Hmm, lets see, Vista is an OS X inspired OS, Now ZunePhone is iPhone inspired, hmm.....could it mean in the future? zMS, zMS Pro, MSBook, MSBookFeatherless, MSBookPro????? . If that happens, I'm quite sure PC developers (Acer, Dell and etc.) wont be happy at all.

Look at Zune sales, some people say its threat for the iPod cause its market share is increasing, but notice how much market share the others is losing? Zune is actually cannibalizing more of the other market share then the iPod. So if the ZunePhone were to come out, I'll say it will eventually cannibalize the WinMo phone market out there.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I've developed software for Windows, Mac, and various flavours of UNIX using C/C++/Java/Objective-C and a multitude of APIs. I can honestly say that developing for Windows has never been a breath of fresh air.

It's funny how many developers I encounter who've only taken the time to fully learn one API/platform, and then shoot their mouth off about how much better it is than all the rest. How can they possibly have an educated opinion if they've never really taken the time to learn and use anything else? It's akin to people who've only lived in one country shooting their mouth off about how much better it is than all the others.

Objective-C is only oddball if you expect the world to look like C or C++. It's certainly no more oddball than C# or Java. Once you've gone through 3 or 4 programming languages, syntax differences don't even matter anymore. Except for Perl of course -- now that's what I call oddball!

As someone who knows a number of programming languages and has dealt with APIs on different platforms, I agree 100%. I have programmed applications in Objective-C and see nothing "oddball" about it. In fact, by comparison to other programming environments/platforms, I'd say it's better conceived than most.

Still, anyone who thinks Objective-C is an oddball programming language, needs to explain the flood of iPhone applications we just witnessed, many of them very high quality, and many of them from developers who admittedly were new to Mac/iPhone programming. The guy from Sega spoke about the ease of porting Super Monkey Ball and, if I'm not mistaken, Sega was a newcomer to the Mac Objective-C environment.