Time Capsule Update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking at potentially getting the 1TB Time Capsule..

I, like most people, think that is overpriced.. although it can be found on ebay for $400...

Its been out for almost a year.. has there been any rumors of Time Capsule getting an update?

I dont need it now.. and i can wait 3 months or so.. is it worth waiting?

thanks for any insights

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    What's to update?... it's a Router, a WiFi station and a drive. Not much has changed in any of those fields.

I doubt Apple will offer more than 1TB in the near future... it's just not needed for what they expect it to be used for.

These pieces just don't get updated as frequently as computers and iPods.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

What's to update?... it's a Router, a WiFi station and a drive. Not much has changed in any of those fields.

I doubt Apple will offer more than 1TB in the near future... it's just not needed for what they expect it to be used for.

These pieces just don't get updated as frequently as computers and iPods.

He probably means a price-drop.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

He probably means a price-drop.

that would be what i was looking for..

and i do think that an update in size isn't that crazy..

look at the ipod.. it was thought that no one could fill up 10 gb

now the base is 120gb

also Blu-Ray movies take up considerably more space
  • Reply 4 of 19
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    There should be a price update, maybe a $100 drop.

However, I have one and I think it is worth the $$. It is maintenance free and it has already saved me on 2 occasions. That is priceless.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superman4388 View Post

...also Blu-Ray movies take up considerably more space

Are you ripping those BR discs with the BR drive included in your Mac??

I'm not sure Apple even cares about the size of BR movies.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    It still remains to be seen if blu-ray will become the next standard.

It may just loose to plain and simple codec formats on hard drives.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Also is it possible to have multiple computers on the wireless network, and have them all play the same itunes files?

also if there are movies on the hard drive that i back up.. my girlfriend can also still access these files on her laptop if she has the password, correct?

thanks
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Huh ???. Every device can be made better. Ok I would vouch for a TC Pro (yeah, remember that FW port they ditched on the MB ?.). Add a couple of FW ports, couple more USB ports. And for goodness sake, put AirTunes capability on this, so I take out the AirPort Express elsewhere.

Since lots of us are doing 802.11n, Put a second radio in there so we can do 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz at the same time. Its OK to put an antenna or two there. Asus has white antennas and it is serving my 54g network at 2.4Ghz with its NAS features (the 700gE model people).

In fact, enable one USB to allow camera streaming. The ASUS 700gE has this feature, so I can stick a webcam on it and point that to the DSL modem so I can see if it lost the carrier link from upstairs. Or check which kids are watching TV below.

PS: That FW port is to cascade those FW drives that new MB users cannot use anymore with Unibody MB. Let TC Pro serve these up wirelessly and via GigE wired. Now thats a Pro I want to get.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

Huh ???. Every device can be made better. Ok I would vouch for a TC Pro (yeah, remember that FW port they ditched on the MB ?.). Add a couple of FW ports, couple more USB ports. And for goodness sake, put AirTunes capability on this, so I take out the AirPort Express elsewhere.

Since lots of us are doing 802.11n, Put a second radio in there so we can do 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz at the same time. Its OK to put an antenna or two there. Asus has white antennas and it is serving my 54g network at 2.4Ghz with its NAS features (the 700gE model people).

In fact, enable one USB to allow camera streaming. The ASUS 700gE has this feature, so I can stick a webcam on it and point that to the DSL modem so I can see if it lost the carrier link from upstairs. Or check which kids are watching TV below.

PS: That FW port is to cascade those FW drives that new MB users cannot use anymore with Unibody MB. Let TC Pro serve these up wirelessly and via GigE wired. Now thats a Pro I want to get.

You are talking about mostly duplicating functionalities that already exist. You can do camera streaming with the current TC, just be a little bit more creative for this niche application instead of adding tons of slots. Apple is about streamlined simplicity, not about checking marks on a huge feature list.

If another standard that is faster than the 'n' became affordable then yes, update TC.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

Huh ???

For what Apple would charge for all that functionality, you can go buy a used Mini on eBay and stack it over your Time capsule... presto, you have more USB, FW, camera via iChat, etc, etc ... heck, you could even run it as a server !....

The only item in your list that I think Apple would even consider on its Airport (extreme and TC) would be the AirTunes audio output.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I would really like a TC 1TB. It's just waaaay overpriced at the moment. In the UK it's an extra £127 for the 1TB version over the 500GB. The price of a SATA 1TB drive brand-new is about £80. Let alone, the difference between a 500GB drive and a 1TB drive is about £40. And I've factored VAT into all those prices. So what's with the overhead? Is it possible to buy a 500GB and upgrade it myself when needed?

The Time Capsule REALLY needs a new price.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I would really like a TC 1TB. It's just waaaay overpriced at the moment. In the UK it's an extra £127 for the 1TB version over the 500GB. The price of a SATA 1TB drive brand-new is about £80. Let alone, the difference between a 500GB drive and a 1TB drive is about £40. And I've factored VAT into all those prices. So what's with the overhead? Is it possible to buy a 500GB and upgrade it myself when needed?

The Time Capsule REALLY needs a new price.

more importantly has anyone got their hands on the new 2TB drives and stuck one in a TC successfully?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I'm guessing that means it *is* possible to upgrade them yourself?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    How about a price drop and an aluminum enclosure?

Judging by Apple's operations lately, expect it late 2011.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I'm guessing that means it *is* possible to upgrade them yourself?

Yes it is possible to upgrade them yourself. Its just a matter of getting inside it and switching the hard drive out.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I do find it shocking that I can get a 500GB Time Capsule AND a 1TB HD for about £40 less than a 1TB Time Capsule. It's insane!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    ggtggt Posts: 1member
    I would love Apple to add iTunes server capabilities to Time Capsule
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggt View Post

I would love Apple to add iTunes server capabilities to Time Capsule

I would love for Apple to create an iTunes Server app, but I wouldn't like it to be on the Time Capsule. Using the TC as a server kind of defeats the object of having one... Putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I'd have a TC for Time Machine only, and a Mac Mini with iTunes Server running. If money were no object...
  • Reply 19 of 19
    There are many ways to improve Time Capsule:
    1. Price cut (hard disks are much cheaper now than when Time Capsule came out over a year ago)

2. Let multiple Macs use Time Capsule for iTunes, Address Book (LDAP), iCal (CalDAV)

3. Time Capsule "Pro" with 4 hot swappable SATA bays for expandable, RAID-capable storage

4. Dual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz mode capability (without requiring 2 Time Capsules or AirPort Extreme)