Which CPUs are in which computers?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I used to keep track of the upcoming intel chips, and which chips were in which mac, but now it's gotten too complicated for me to follow.

Is there some website or some chart I can look at that clearly shows intels roadmap, and shows which processor was in which mac? (I.e. when did MacBook Pro's first have Merom, and when did they switch to Penryn? What's after Penryn?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ed_by_CPU_type

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911

What's after Penryn?

Nehalem. The Mac Pro should be first with this as Apple don't use desktop processors, just laptop and server.

Mobile Nehalem won't be out for ages (Q3 2009) so we'll likely be stuck with expensive Gainestown server workstations and underpowered dual core Penryn consumer machines. Meanwhile PC users will be destroying Macs in benchmarks with their Core i7 desktops.

Of course if Apple release Snow Leopard in Q1 then there may be some surprises.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ed_by_CPU_type

Nehalem. The Mac Pro should be first with this as Apple don't use desktop processors, just laptop and server.

Mobile Nehalem won't be out for ages (Q3 2009) so we'll likely be stuck with expensive Gainestown server workstations and underpowered dual core Penryn consumer machines. Meanwhile PC users will be destroying Macs in benchmarks with their Core i7 desktops.

Of course if Apple release Snow Leopard in Q1 then there may be some surprises.

Doesn't Tigerton follow Harpertown as the Mac Pro's processor? Why would it get Nehalem and not Tigerton? I'm confused.

That wikipedia page is basically what I was looking for though. Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

Doesn't Tigerton follow Harpertown as the Mac Pro's processor? Why would it get Nehalem and not Tigerton? I'm confused.

That wikipedia page is basically what I was looking for though. Thanks!

Tigerton is for four processor systems and uses a different socket than Harpertown.

Gainestown is the 2P Xeon version of Nehalem.

Nehalem isn't a specific processor model, it is the codename for a new microarchitecture, an entire class of processors.